Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
A great ending! Hope you'all have a great 4th July weekend. I know Utazo89 will

Old 07-01-2016, 08:19 PM   #162
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by utazo89 View Post
Dear Members!

My case has concluded. I have my deposit in cash, in my hand.
There is lot more to say about the recent events, but I wish cut it short for now.
However, I want to say something to All of You!
I am honored and privileged to be a member of this community! I have not had this type of care and support I received from all of you, for decades. It is a great feeling to be here.
I thank all of you from the bottom of my heart for this.
I promise, I will sleep better tonight and forgive me, if I am being a bit emotional. It happens when approaching 64. It is time to move on. I hope we all do that.
I wish you all a wonderful weekend, wherever you are in the world!
Your friend;
Utazo89
Very happy for you. You were put through something you shouldn't have been. However, you made it through whole and it could have ended much worse. 64 or 34, anyone would be emotional. Relief is a good emotion though.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 08:29 PM   #163
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Fabulous - Simply FABULOUS!!

Congratulations... Good Luck from here on out!!!!!

Toot, Toooot -
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 08:33 PM   #164
Guru

Well done 89. Must have been tough holding your nerve and pursuing your entitlements.
Tempting as it may be to close the door on this unpleasant episode, and depending what you have discovered being in the thick of it,do consider reporting this experience to the appropriate authority, (whoever that may be) so the transaction gets scrutinized and any necessary action to save others from a similar experience is taken.
And press on with your boat search. I`m sure your experience was a regrettable rare exception.
BruceK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 10:01 PM   #165

City: Kirkland
BruceK.

I sent you a PM.
utazo89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 10:16 PM   #166
Veteran Member

City: Ashville NY
Vessel Name: Patience
Vessel Model: Maple Bay 27'
Glad you have your deposit back.
I hope, after your blood pressure is back to normal, you can continue your search.
Good luck!
Aquafarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 11:10 PM   #167
Guru

City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
That's great 69, you will sleep better tonight. As to the deposit thing, its pretty customary to make an offer with a deposit. This shows the seller you are not just blowing smoke, and if a price cannot be agreed upon the deposit is returned. The deposit is held in escrow upon completion of the deal. This is a normal state of affairs.
78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 11:45 PM   #168
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78puget-trawler View Post
That's great 69, you will sleep better tonight. As to the deposit thing, its pretty customary to make an offer with a deposit. This shows the seller you are not just blowing smoke, and if a price cannot be agreed upon the deposit is returned. The deposit is held in escrow upon completion of the deal. This is a normal state of affairs.
The one thing that I do find inappropriate is that a deposit in other areas such as real estate or autos isn't the same as your down payment. It shows intent and is enough to hold briefly. The offers can all be withdrawn. I do not find a 10% deposit to be reasonable, even if common. I recall me only made a $1k deposit on our home to allow us to get an inspection, etc. Then when we'd confirmed we would buy it, we paid more. The real key is to require the buyer to complete the survey and sea trial and acceptance quickly and not hold you hostage and that shows intent. I admit to not having a good grasp of what brokers are requiring throughout the country or world. I simply know what I wouldn't do as a buyer. Some might then not deal with me as we'd have a stalemate.
Old 07-01-2016, 11:55 PM   #169

City: Madisonville, LA
Vessel Name: Sanctuary Of Sanity
Vessel Model: 1982 47' Bluewater
Glad you got your money back!
Now to find another boat for you to buy!
Star0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 12:35 AM   #170
Guru

Its common practice in this NOTW. I have no problem with it, because if you make the deal it gets applied towards the purchase price. If you don't, you get it back.
Old 07-02-2016, 01:01 AM   #171

City: Kirkland
Yes, my search continues. I am meeting with a ' buyer broker ' next week. He was recommended from this forum, so I feel more confident.
Happy 4th !
utazo89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 12:02 PM   #172
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78puget-trawler View Post
That's great 69, you will sleep better tonight. .
Wifey B: His number is 89. Wonder what was on your mind....
Old 07-02-2016, 12:09 PM   #173
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by utazo89 View Post
Yes, my search continues. I am meeting with a ' buyer broker ' next week. He was recommended from this forum, so I feel more confident.
Happy 4th !
That's the best decision I've heard today. If you find the right one, it will make the entire process so much easier. Now will be interesting to see if the sale of the boat goes through to the "other buyer" I think was out there.

There are so many things that can go wrong in these transactions. Had the broker communicated with you, I would have perhaps given them more benefit of the doubt. I do know one local broker who got an offer and submitted it to the owner, but heard nothing back even though she was the broker for seller and buyer. Turns out someone else (not a broker) had sold the boat for the owner, the other person knowing she had the listing. As the commission total was $230k she did sue and win.
Old 07-02-2016, 12:33 PM   #174
Guru

Uh, yes, 89, correctamundo.
Old 07-02-2016, 11:19 PM   #175
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I am so happy that it worked out 89. You will find a boat.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 06:56 PM   #176

City: Bellingham, Wa
New member here and I'll make an intro post shortly....but I just want to say THANK YOU to everyone, especially the gurus, who contributed to this post.

Hubby and I own a home overlooking the Everett Marina and, after a couple of years working out of state, are ready to move back to the area and buy a boat...a dream we had when we initially purchased the house.

We were just in town last week looking for office space, and at boats. We met, briefly, several brokers in the area, while peeking at boat listings, etc. We could have easily ended up with this shady broker as we were primarily looking in the Anacortes / Bellingham area, due to where we were staying, while in town. This post has now alerted me to the fact that there are at LEAST 3 brokers I should be wary of.....and has taught me how to present our first offer. Considering the size of boat we're considering, our downpayment would have been quite a bit larger....

Anyhoo, very happy to see the OP get his/her money back! I wish them well on their continued search...it's thrilling and terrifying all at once!
Starchanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 08:30 PM   #177
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Star

What type, size, cost boat do you seek?
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 10:49 PM   #178
TF Site Team

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starchanger View Post
New member here and I'll make an intro post shortly....but I just want to say THANK YOU to everyone, especially the gurus, who contributed to this post.

Hubby and I own a home overlooking the Everett Marina and, after a couple of years working out of state, are ready to move back to the area and buy a boat...a dream we had when we initially purchased the house.

We were just in town last week looking for office space, and at boats. We met, briefly, several brokers in the area, while peeking at boat listings, etc. We could have easily ended up with this shady broker as we were primarily looking in the Anacortes / Bellingham area, due to where we were staying, while in town. This post has now alerted me to the fact that there are at LEAST 3 brokers I should be wary of.....and has taught me how to present our first offer. Considering the size of boat we're considering, our downpayment would have been quite a bit larger....

Anyhoo, very happy to see the OP get his/her money back! I wish them well on their continued search...it's thrilling and terrifying all at once!
Lots of good honest brokers in the area- just have to latch onto the right one and make sure he/she knows your desires.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote