Old 06-30-2016, 06:10 AM   #121
FF
Guru

Put a full 5 gal can of gasoline out side the brokers office , before it opens.

He will get the hint.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:28 AM   #122
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Very Much Agreed!

Fine to chat here, helping 89 get through this by placing suggestions... not correct (yet) for vigilante social contact into an arena to which we have no place or rights to join.
An arena which us entering could only hurt the OP. Thanks to the mods for removing.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:30 AM   #123
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post

He will get the hint.
I know you meant that in humor but we need to cool such comments for now. We need to let the OP handle it with our advice and no inflammatory suggestions.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:08 AM   #124
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I know you meant that in humor but we need to cool such comments for now. We need to let the OP handle it with our advice and no inflammatory suggestions.
Exactly!

Forum comments/suggestions are one thing. Actions outside that are not acceptable by anyone except 89.
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 09:09 AM   #125
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Here, here. That comment can clearly go in the asinine bucket. Joking or not it does the process no good and doesn't help the fine character () of this forum.

FF, you don't know what you don't know.
Come back in a couple hours.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 10:16 AM   #126
TF Site Team

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post

He will get the hint.
Absolutely not.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 10:31 AM   #127
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
Absolutely not.

ok .. how about a empty gas can with his name written on it...

If the P.O. hasn't received his deposit back within a week all normal civilized and " legal" options start to look weak.

Should it be a crime to take something back that someone stole from you?

One of the aspects of our legal system is it protects crooks... go figure it was written by lawyers.

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 10:39 AM   #128
TF Site Team

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
ok .. how about a empty gas can with his name written on it...

If the P.O. hasn't received his deposit back within a week all normal civilized and " legal" options start to look weak.

Should it be a crime to take something back that someone stole from you?

One of the aspects of our legal system is it protects crooks... go figure it was written by lawyers.

HOLLYWOOD
My inner child tends to agree with you- to create mayhem, chaos, and fear.

Fortunately, that child is well under control. It's natural to to want to react, but adults refuse to knee jerk react and instead let a cool head prevail.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 10:42 AM   #129
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood
As I said above, check back in a couple hours.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:45 AM   #130
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
My inner child tends to agree with you- to create mayhem, chaos, and fear.

Fortunately, that child is well under control. It's natural to to want to react, but adults refuse to knee jerk react and instead let a cool head prevail.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 12:10 PM   #131

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Name: NONE
Vessel Model: NONE
My, aren't we a grumpy lot this morning.

My worthless entirely speculative guess as to what is going on here is the broker is in financial difficulty and has either spent the deposit, or his supposed trust account has been seized. What he is waiting on is a pending deposit from another customer to cover the first, possibly on the same boat. A quasi ponzi scheme as someone suggested earlier but one more likely based in desperation versus greed.

I once collected a large long overdue debt from a company who were full of excuses and short on communication by parking myself in the company presidents outer office and refusing to leave. His secretary repeatedly said he wasn't in and even threatened to have me removed but I politely said I would wait and held my ground. He never did come out but 4 or 5 hours later someone "presumably from accounting" came in and I left with a cheque.

If our friend here were to do the same and camp out in the owners office, what could the owner do, call the police? (I suggest packing a lunch and a bathroom visit is a prerequisite to trying this however). To demonstrate good faith you might even offer to share your sandwich with the owner.
Capt Kangeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 12:21 PM   #132
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Kangeroo View Post
My, aren't we a grumpy lot this morning.
If our friend here were to do the same and camp out in the owners office, what could the owner do, call the police? (I suggest packing a lunch and a bathroom visit is a prerequisite to trying this however). To demonstrate good faith you might even offer to share your sandwich with the owner.
Lol. You're a day late and a theory short.

Who's grumpy?
Old 06-30-2016, 04:47 PM   #133
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Frisky
Vessel Model: 99 Nordic Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Kangeroo View Post
When 98 did not get his deposit back I immediately thought to my self, "He should have camped out there." I have a colleague that would send a guy to collect bad debts, and he would camp out at the place of business until he got paid. Apparently some obscure law that said a business could not close until the customer had concluded his business. Not sure if it is a law in WA, but I would certainly not hesitate to camp out there myself.
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 05:08 PM   #134

City: Kirkland
No good news Gents.
I received a check today from the broker's office, but when I went to their bank, the check could not be cashed. There were insufficient funds on that account. Later we discovered that the check they gave me has a different account number, comparing to the trust account, where my money was deposited to.
I am getting help from local organizations, but the broker is out of town. I have bad feelings about this. The saga continues....
utazo89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 05:12 PM   #135
Guru

Anybody got a crow I can eat?
Old 06-30-2016, 05:16 PM   #136
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
Anybody got a crow I can eat?
We can make it a meal for two Tim.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 05:16 PM   #137
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Mr. 89, so sorry this is happening to you. Now the bum passes you a bad check, unbelievable. Good luck, I hope it resolves soon!
Old 06-30-2016, 05:23 PM   #138
Guru

City: Hampton, va
Vessel Name: Didi Mau
Vessel Model: 2003 Ocean Alexander 456
This has now entered the illegal stage. It is illegal to pass bad paper. I would see someone in law enforcement.

Gordon
Gordon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 05:23 PM   #139
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by utazo89 View Post
No good news Gents.
I received a check today from the broker's office, but when I went to their bank, the check could not be cashed. There were insufficient funds on that account. Later we discovered that the check they gave me has a different account number, comparing to the trust account, where my money was deposited to.
I am getting help from local organizations, but the broker is out of town. I have bad feelings about this. The saga continues....
Deposit the check. Get it rejected and legal evidence that it is an NSF. Then, you have a criminal charge and I'd inform them at that point that either they give me a cashier's check to replace it or I'm taking it to the local sheriff's office.

Here is the criminal charge in Washington:
Washington. Misdemeanor - full restitution; the defendant need not be imprisoned, but the court shall impose a minimum fine of $500. Of the fine imposed, at least $50 shall not be suspended or deferred. Upon conviction for a second offense within any twelve-month period, the court may suspend or defer only that portion of the fine which is in excess of $500. Felony - Up to one year in jail or up to $1,000 fine, or both.
Here are the civil penalties in Washington:
Washington. Lesser of amount of check or interest at 12%, and cost of collection not to exceed $40. If court action necessary after 15 days, lesser of reasonable attorneys' fees and treble face of check or $100.
Deposit before he can stop payment. He may miraculously find a way to cover it, although I doubt it. However, he just did you a favor. Getting the money would have been better, but you would have had to prove that by the contract you should get it so just a civil contract law case. Now you have nothing to prove other than that he gave you a bad check. And it's definitely at the level of a felony.
Old 06-30-2016, 05:27 PM   #140
Guru

The only reason for the delay was he didn't have the money. I'm not one bit surprised then that the next delaying action was a bad check. Unless his bank stamped it in some way though you haven't perfected a bad check claim. Depositing and it being returned and stamped NSF will do so. Just don't try to spend it.

He's trying a Hail Mary. That he can come up with the money somehow before it hits. He will tell you probably to redeposit it. Or, I see this potential story. "Oh, she by mistake wrote it from the wrong account. I'll have another processed." Do not under any circumstances give him the bad check back until you have good money in your hands.