Old 06-29-2016, 04:04 PM   #81
TF Site Team

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by utazo89 View Post
Well, I am not happy today. I still don't have my money back.
I went by to the broker's office to pickup my check, but it was not ready. I was told that the process takes longer and he will call me, when it is ready for pickup. Obviously, this is not what I expected. We had a verbal back and forth on who said what, who did what, but at the end, there was no check. I am not sure what could I have done? In my notice of cancellation, I asked for the check in 48 hours. Yesterday, I asked him in an email to make it ready for today morning. It seems my emails do not matter, because I never received any reply to them.
I am really angry. Sorry Gents.
That is crap. Just sent you a PM.

Bottom line- he is the professional and did not act professionally. He must act in your best interest as your representative per the CPYB that he is- and that included proper paperwork completion, proper accounting practices, and timely response in all matters.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 04:19 PM   #82

City: Kirkland
BandB.

I don't know who is the real owner of the brokerage. It sounded to me that he was, or he is the senior person there. I asked the exact same question; why could not he write me a check? I got the same excuse as before.
The emails were sent to the same address, what is on his business card. He did reply from that address 1-2 times, so I know it is working.
At the end, when I asked his signature acknowledgement of my cancellation, he gave me a printout of my email and he signed it with the yesterday date.
I really hate this whole thing!

utazo89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 04:19 PM   #83
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Well, I am not happy today. I still don't have my money back.
I went by to the broker's office to pickup my check, but it was not ready. I was told that the process takes longer and he will call me, when it is ready for pickup. Obviously, this is not what I expected. We had a verbal back and forth on who said what, who did what, but at the end, there was no check. I am not sure what could I have done? In my notice of cancellation, I asked for the check in 48 hours. Yesterday, I asked him in an email to make it ready for today morning. It seems my emails do not matter, because I never received any reply to them.
I am really angry. Sorry Gents.
Peter will give good direction, follow it.

I'm guessing the guy is playing "get even" by waiting the full 48 hours you gave him, which will be around 7pm today.

Did you at any time give him an actual hard copy of the withdrawal?

Even though the "Purchase and Sale Agreement is the sloppiest I have ever seen, condition 14 gives you the right to withdraw.

Since there is no broker signature on the Agreement, which of these clowns are you dealing with, Marvin or Kirk? Advance Marine Group - Our Staff
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 04:25 PM   #84

Marvin is his name.

I tried to give him a hard copy of my cancellation (which was signed and attached in an email as he requested from me over the phone call on Monday evening), but he would not take it. Instead, he printed out my original cancellation email (which has triggered his immediate phone call to me on Monday evening) and he signed it with a received note for the 28th.
Why people do this? What is the purpose of this whole game?
Old 06-29-2016, 04:40 PM   #85
Guru

Quote:
Marvin is his name. Why people do this? What is the purpose of this whole game?
Who knows why people behave the way they do. Everyone here can guess and can assign a very appropriate name to this guy but still not understand the tactics.

I still think you will get your money, just not today.

Hopefully someone on here will know the proper authority to report this to. Not just your local Yacht Brokers Association.

The good news is, now there is potential for hundreds of boaters to be aware of this dubious deadbeat.
Old 06-29-2016, 04:59 PM   #86

Hawgwash.

You might be right about the ' revenge '. I just don't see the reason for it. Is that 9K deposit so significant to him, if he is really running a successful business?
He did say to me today that he just could not understand why have I cancelled my offer, since this was a great boat?
Old 06-29-2016, 05:05 PM   #87
Guru

Quote:
Hawgwash.

You might be right about the ' revenge '. I just don't see the reason for it. Is that 9K deposit so significant to him, if he is really running a successful business?
He did say to me today that he just could not understand why have I cancelled my offer, since this was a great boat?
At this point you owe him no explanation and the less you say to him the better. The only dialogue should now be about your deposit.

Oh, and save any and all paperwork, emails, phone records and make notes of dates, conversations and phone calls.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:17 PM   #88
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Peter will give you good advice. Listen to him. The fact he's a member of CPYB gives you some leverage. Unfortunately, there are, to my knowledge, still only two states requiring yacht brokers to be licensed.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 05:48 PM   #89
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Have you an attorney friend/associate who would throw an inexpensive legal letter to him? His actions are getting way past reasonable... to the point of criminal. Is he broke and simply does not have capital available?? I hope not for your sake!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 05:54 PM   #90
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
I still think you will get your money, just not today.
89, I agree with Hawgwash. I think you will get your deposit back, it is just frustrating and irritating.

Sounds to me as if the guy is a bit sloppy. He didn't do a great job of filling out the initial offer. He apparently isn't able to keep track of his seller to be able to get a reply. He likely isn't organized enough to be able to find the right checkbook to the escrow account to write a check and may not even know how his own financial software works. Maybe his office manager is out so she can't do it for him?

In any event, this isn't a guy that you would probably want to do business with so look at this a good thing. You will get your money, a bit of an education, and be saved from going through the rest of the purchase process with this guy.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 06:03 PM   #91
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art;
Is he broke and simply does not have capital available?? I hope not for your sake!
The cheque went into a legitimate Trust Account. He would not risk the consequences of messing with that. If he was unreachable and his office locked up, I would worry.

I still say he is just playing games with the full 48 hours thing so in his mind tomorrow is payday.

If I had to take a day off, I would and just go park my arse in his office tomorrow.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:11 PM   #92

City: Rapid City, SD heading back to the PNW
UTOAZ89, As Of Noon Today AMG has Gypsy Star listed as sale pending...... It appears that they still have you on the hook for this boat.
mramoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 06:21 PM   #93
Veteran Member

City: Terrell
Vessel Name: Willie Pearl
Vessel Model: Seahorse 54 Sedan
I would be suspect of all brokers. It's a flawed system. The more your spend on your boat the more they make that's the one representing you and one that represents the seller. There are going to be a few people on here that pop up saying there is one or two that that is not going to be the case and that is bullshit. I didn't say dishonest or shady. The system is geared in both party's for buyer to assume monies and risk. Which means buyer beware. There is not one used car salesman out there....oops I meant boat broker that will put your financial gain above his own. They are all going to be your best friend and your children are the cutest. That's how our country works Capitalist. Not perfect but it is the best out there. That means you are responsible for you a your decisions and your money. Resources like this forum are a tool for study you can't put a value own. Everyone will tell you "That's just he or hers opinion", true. However as the same opinion keeps surfacing trend or truths start to be apparent. that's a consensus and that will guide you there. There are lots of people out there and on this site who have paid a great deal of money for there education use it. I'm sorry if I sound like I'm preaching but the short of story is never depend on the kindness or honesty of others especially the ones that claim most of my customers have become my best friends......You want a competent Partner not another social victory. Sorry for the long windedness and or preaching......"been there done that......I feel ya pain!
pearlwindham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 06:26 PM   #94
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mramoo View Post
UTOAZ89, As Of Noon Today AMG has Gypsy Star listed as sale pending...... It appears that they still have you on the hook for this boat.
No big deal. Just another delay and another potential strike against the friendly broker.

Possible scenarios:
Could be another buyer and that's why the previous run around.
If there is a cooked up "counter" 89 walks.
If they have accepted his off he has some interesting choices.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:26 PM   #95
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
"...Poets pen fancy words about why men love boats, but Marvin keeps it simple. When he gets up in the morning, he’s still excited about going to work. Please stop by Advance Marine Group and rekindle your friendship…"

Words fail me.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:30 PM   #96
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB;
Unfortunately, there are, to my knowledge, still only two states requiring yacht brokers to be licensed.
I just did some digging and WA has Vessel Dealers Licenses which is basically a business license. No governing body other than a yachting association discipline committee. The wild, wild west.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:36 PM   #97
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhmeissner View Post
"...Poets pen fancy words about why men love boats, but Marvin keeps it simple. When he gets up in the morning, he’s still excited about going to work. Please stop by Advance Marine Group and rekindle your friendship…"Words fail me.
Good catch Dave.
The guy just might be digging a deeper hole here.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:23 PM   #98
Guru

Quote:
The cheque went into a legitimate Trust Account. He would not risk the consequences of messing with that. If he was unreachable and his office locked up, I would worry.

I still say he is just playing games with the full 48 hours thing so in his mind tomorrow is payday.

If I had to take a day off, I would and just go park my arse in his office tomorrow.
He might have to deal with a trustee if it's in a trust account and he isn't the trustee.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:23 PM   #99
Guru

Quote:
I just did some digging and WA has Vessel Dealers Licenses which is basically a business license. No governing body other than a yachting association discipline committee. The wild, wild west.
Only Florida and California
Old 06-29-2016, 07:31 PM   #100
Guru

"Process" = messing you around as long as possible. Sad.
AMG = OMG!

BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote