Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-27-2016, 10:14 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
utazo89's Avatar
 
City: Kirkland
Country: USA
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 187
It is subject to financing and insurance to be obtained. Again, there was no counter, nothing in writing. The broker said a number over the phone, which I rejected. He told me he would talk to the seller in person today. I just sent him an email about cancelling my offer on Wednesday. I can deliver it, send it, mail it. Either way is fine with me.
__________________
Advertisement

utazo89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:20 PM   #22
TF Site Team
 
Pau Hana's Avatar


 
City: Seattle, WA
Country: Good Ol' US of A!
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by utazo89 View Post
It has been 8 days. What form do I use to give him this notice? Thanks.
I sent you a PM, then re-read this entire thread.

Forget the waiting- go in tomorrow morning and tell him the deal is off, and get your deposit back. 8 days is too long- period.
__________________

__________________
Peter- Marine Insurance Guru & tuna fishing addict!

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:20 PM   #23
Guru
 
78puget-trawler's Avatar
 
City: LaConner
Country: USA
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 783
You can withdraw your offer and get your money back any time you want it. A lot of times the sellers and brokers like to drag it out and hope someone else comes along and makes a better offer. Another ploy brokers use is to say "we need to get an offer on the table now, because another broker has a hot buyer". While this can be true, I think it is used to get a potential buyer off the dime. I know these things. It happened to me. No way I could know for sure but I am pretty sure its a "motivational" tool. Anyway, if you want the boat, tell the broker you want some type of answer soon or you are gone. He will get the seller moving.
78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:24 PM   #24
Guru
 
Hawgwash's Avatar
 
City: Sidney
Country: Canada
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by utazo89 View Post
It is subject to financing and insurance to be obtained. Again, there was no counter, nothing in writing. The broker said a number over the phone, which I rejected. He told me he would talk to the seller in person today. I just sent him an email about cancelling my offer on Wednesday. I can deliver it, send it, mail it. Either way is fine with me.

You are on your way.
I'm not in WA but I would say you have a get out of jail free card with the finance subject, with no lost money.
If you truly don't want to go forward, get the withdrawal to him ASAP.
If for some reason, your offer is accepted and you want out, play the finance card.

I have to ask though, no survey, mechanical or sea trial in the mix?
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:32 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
utazo89's Avatar
 
City: Kirkland
Country: USA
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 187
No, nothing happened, yet. Only the deposit. The rest was just planned.
utazo89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:34 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
utazo89's Avatar
 
City: Kirkland
Country: USA
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 187
OK, I am having results. I sent him an email about my decision and within two minutes, he called me. After some sweet talk again, I was firm on my decision and he accepted it. I will email him the signed withdrawal notice and he will start the process of generating my check. This is satisfactory to me. I don't mind to let the boat go. There will be another one. Thanks Gents.
utazo89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:35 PM   #27
Guru
 
Hawgwash's Avatar
 
City: Sidney
Country: Canada
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
Forget the waiting- go in tomorrow morning and tell him the deal is off, and get your deposit back. 8 days is too long- period.
I completely agree. Be there when the doors open.
I was just starting to get nervous about possible lack of subjects.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:39 PM   #28
Guru
 
Hawgwash's Avatar
 
City: Sidney
Country: Canada
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by utazo89 View Post
OK, I am having results. I sent him an email about my decision and within two minutes, he called me. After some sweet talk again, I was firm on my decision and he accepted it. I will email him the signed withdrawal notice and he will start the process of generating my check. This is satisfactory to me. I don't mind to let the boat go. There will be another one. Thanks Gents.
Well done. Now don't let him off the hook. Stay with him.

At the same time, it may have been just the owner playing games.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:52 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
utazo89's Avatar
 
City: Kirkland
Country: USA
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 187
Signed cancellation notice sent to his email. I specified 48 hours for the check to be ready. I will pick it up in person. Thanks again.
utazo89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:00 PM   #30
Guru
 
mbevins's Avatar
 
City: Windsor
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,305
You really want a cashiers check at this point.
__________________
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:47 PM   #31
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,152
He's earned distrust with his actions. Can you tell what bank account the check was deposited in? How was the check made out, to whom? I would demand the money immediately and be at his door every day until I got it. When he says "start the process of generating your check," I get concerned. What does he mean process. It's write a check and hand it to you.

All states need to regulate boat brokers. Unfortunately only two do. You need to be very firm.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 12:37 AM   #32
Master and Commander
 
markpierce's Avatar
 
City: Vallejo CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 10,262
Gee, I've purchased two new boats, sight unseen, during the last four decades directly from the manufacturers (Bluewater out of Texas and Seahorse Marine in China) using the phone, snail mail, and internet, and haven't had a problem. One needs to research the seller first.
__________________
Kar-KEEN-ez Koot
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 12:39 AM   #33
Guru
 
BruceK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 7,568
For the future, a word about offers.
Limit the period of an offer to expire on a specified day at a specified time.It applies some pressure and means the offer is not open ended. If you do that, I suggest you add to the offer "I reserve the right to withdraw this offer at any time". Otherwise someone may claim you are committed to keeping it open to the end date. (What if a better deal on another boat suddenly appears, etc?)
A counter offer is not just a counter offer, is also a rejection of your offer. When your offer is rejected, be it by a "No" or a counter offer, it is gone/finished/exhausted. The counter offer is a fresh offer from the seller to you.
Keep onto them for the deposit refund, B&B`s comment is spot on, it`s not a "process".
__________________
BruceK
Island Gypsy 36 Europa "Doriana"
Sydney Australia
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 01:09 AM   #34
Senior Member
 
utazo89's Avatar
 
City: Kirkland
Country: USA
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 187
The check was made out to the brokerage and the money went to a deposit only trust account for the brokerage.
utazo89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 02:01 AM   #35
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 5,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by utazo89 View Post
The check was made out to the brokerage and the money went to a deposit only trust account for the brokerage.
You are in good shape at this point. Don't be infected by the general TF paranoia.

As was mentioned before, there is a standard offer used by WA boat brokers that has a date for acceptance as well as a list of provisions. You will get your deposit back and you will find another boat to make an offer on.
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 02:15 AM   #36
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,979
I just read this thread... fully. Good luck fellow. IMO - First thing tomorrow morning pin that broker's ears to the wall. Demand your money immediately transferred to your account or a check in your hand right then. Then, drive directly to the bank and have your bank call his bank to make sure the check is covered... as you deposit it.

Better luck next time. Be careful!!
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 03:31 AM   #37
Guru
 
BruceK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 7,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
You are in good shape at this point. Don't be infected by the general TF paranoia.

As was mentioned before, there is a standard offer used by WA boat brokers that has a date for acceptance as well as a list of provisions. You will get your deposit back and you will find another boat to make an offer on.
Indeed. No panic required, just courteous persistence to be sure the $ come back without delay.
__________________
BruceK
Island Gypsy 36 Europa "Doriana"
Sydney Australia
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:03 AM   #38
Guru
 
Hawgwash's Avatar
 
City: Sidney
Country: Canada
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by utazo89 View Post
The check was made out to the brokerage and the money went to a deposit only trust account for the brokerage.
Looks like you are ok now. His "process" probably means writing a cheque requisition, handing it to Katie at the next desk; Katie writes it and hands it to the manager beside her, for signature. It then finds it's way back to your boy.

If he has any smarts at all, he will realize he is the one looking bad here and will expedite the "process." Like, have it ready by noon today.

Stay on him.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:00 AM   #39
Senior Member
 
City: Westerly, RI
Country: USA
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 471
The timeline doesn't seem that outrageous. You singed papers and turned over a deposit on Sunday. By Thu. the broker had a sick day, and on Friday still hadn't reached the seller. He expected some feedback when the seller was in the office on mon. Now its Tue. This is 7 business days. The check was deposited in the brokers escrow account.

This all seems a little knee jerk.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:20 AM   #40
Guru
 
Hawgwash's Avatar
 
City: Sidney
Country: Canada
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,265
Sick day?
Knee jerk?
Oh, ok.

Any brokers I know are 7 day operations and they are in the communication business, not the obfuscating, lame excuse business.

The broker wrote a sloppy contract and missed several promised deadlines. A substantial deposit was in play and I think utazo89 showed reasonable poise under the circumstances.

Baseball bats to knee jerks is quite a typical TF range though, I guess.
__________________

Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012