Old 05-13-2015, 09:38 AM   #1
FF
Guru

Nordy 46 for sale

Lifted from the SSCA board , 99.9% sailors with a few offshore marine motorists.

Here is a link , don't know if price is great or ???

https://sites.google.com/site/emilyg...vn-46-for-sale

Good hunting

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 11:08 AM   #2
Wannabe

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
People interested in non-brokerage Nordys can check out Welcome to Nordhavn For Sale by Owner - Current Listings - There's another 1990 N46 listed there too.

Richard

Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 11:09 AM   #3
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Interesting,
Twice the displacement and much more than twice the power of my Willard. Looks to be overpowered and as I recall they came w a 101hp engine.

One of my favorite boats and that seems to be about the right price IMO subject to condition.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 11:15 AM   #4
Wannabe

That's the original engine - they came with a 143HP Lugger.

It has Naiad stabilizers which I think is a real bonus.

Richard
Old 05-13-2015, 02:02 PM   #5
Guru

Brit,
Then the one in Voyaging Under Power was not original.

143hp? Then like most boats it was overpowered. I'm sure it only takes 40hp to cruise that 46. 60hp should be enough but I'm only talking about a true FD hulled boat. And the stabilizers would bump that power requirement to maybe 80hp. Most FD boats can't use more than double their cruise power requirement even in the worst conditions. ... IMO

Old 05-13-2015, 02:14 PM   #6
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Brit,

143hp? Then like most boats it was overpowered. I'm sure it only takes 40hp to cruise that 46. 60hp should be enough but I'm only talking about a true FD hulled boat. And the stabilizers would bump that power requirement to maybe 80hp. Most FD boats can't use more than double their cruise power requirement even in the worst conditions. ... IMO
What about over sized alternators too, then reserve HP... I think shes powered just fine.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 03:36 PM   #7

City: Punta Gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Aweigh
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Almost 12,000 hours on the John Deere. That is amazing.This boat has a lot of miles under it's belt which can be both good and bad. I believe that I would want one a little less used for that money.
seasalt007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 04:53 PM   #8
Wannabe

Quote:
Brit,

Interesting - if I run the specs for the N46 through a displacement hull speed calculator I get the result that it takes about 100HP to bring the N46 to its hull speed of 8.3 kt.

Richard
Old 05-13-2015, 06:14 PM   #9
Guru

Brit,
Nobody runs a FD boat at hull speed. There's no need to go hull speed and the power to do so is meaningless. Most FD boats usually run one knot below HS and the graph in the VUP book shows a bit over 40hp to run the N46 7 knots. However I am in serious error. I used 30000 lbs disp for my calculations and see 48000 listed in the book. It listed 25hp to drive the 46 6 knots and 46hp for 7. And that's w 48000lbs disp. So double the 7 knot cruise power and that gets us 92hp.

The Book calculates it taking 143hp to drive the vessel at a speed/length ratio of 1.25. That's a little under HS. Willy (my boat) may be capable of HS and maybe not. Every time I run at WOT there is enough current that I'd have to make longer runs and go in both directions to average the speed that would tell. But since I have no need to know I've never done it. What I need to know at WOT is the engine rpm. And I always know that.

So when you say "Interesting - if I run the specs for the N46 through a displacement hull speed calculator I get the result that it takes about 100HP to bring the N46 to its hull speed of 8.3 kt." Exactly correct. But you have no need to go at hull speed.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:43 AM   #10
FF
Guru

There may frequently be lots of parasitic load on the main engine.

Hyd pumps for stabelizers and AC cruise generator , Big alts , and belted refrigeration or water maker can add to the fuel burn, and Hp required..
Old 05-14-2015, 08:30 AM   #11

City: Noank, CT
Vessel Name: Datenight
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Lifted from the SSCA board , 99.9% sailors with a few offshore marine motorists.

Here is a link , don't know if price is great or ???

https://sites.google.com/site/emilyg...vn-46-for-sale

Good hunting
This boat is at the Shennecossett Yacht Club where we keep our boat. Let me know if you are coming to see it!

Rob
Old 05-14-2015, 09:36 AM   #12
Guru

City: Salvador - BA
Vessel Name: Rainha Jannota
Vessel Model: Curruira 46
Send a message via MSN to Portuguese
Manyboats is correct
Rainha Jannota has a LWL 40.2' and displaces 50000#. I cruise with her @ 7.0 Knt with the engina @ 1800 RPM or 50 HP. Calculated HS is 8.5 knt and I need 99.2 HP to achieve it. I have never got there and I have already 413 hours.

My favorite speed is 6.5 knt, 40HP @ 1650 RPM burning 2.2 GPH.
This is WHY I have a trawler

Portuguese
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00453.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	40148  
Old 05-14-2015, 09:37 AM   #13
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Nobody runs a FD boat at hull speed. There's no need to go hull speed and the power to do so is meaningless.
Eric, you cannot use an assumption on your part like the one above for engine calculation.

I would venture to say that more people run at hull speed than you might imagine.

Remember that the driving force for a certain speed for many is not the cost of the fuel, it is the range of the boat at that speed.

For us, we rarely run our boat a knot below hull speed, but we often run at hull speed, or thereabouts. Saving that extra 25% in fuel is not so important, getting to our destination at an increased speed is.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 10:04 AM   #14
FF
Guru

"I would venture to say that more people run at hull speed than you might imagine."

Yup, and there mostly in sail boats going down wind, or on a very broad reach in a 15K breeze.

For most folks cruising at the SQ RT LWL (SL) of 1.34 hardly pays when for a good boat SL x 1.15 takes little longer in a passage and doubles the range.

A poor design may only get SL x .9 at modest fuel burn , if the boat is heavy
(DL over 450) and double ended.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:19 AM   #15
Guru

Kevin,
Of course you wouldn't be inclined to run below HS and running at HS is just fine. The reason being that you have a SD hull (actually IMO more like a planing hull) and most skippers w your boat will be running well above HS (10knots?) and could cruise higher depending on power.

Obviously I didn't make it clear enough that my above posts about power requirements were directed strictly at full displacement boats like the N46 or KK42. None of this applies to SD boats ... like most all boats on this forum. The discussion was about the Nordhavn.

SD boats like a GB or even a slower SD boat like a DeFever are subject to a very different set of physics that allows them more speed .. usually considerably more speed. This speed is earned w a large loss in efficiency and seaworthyness. Note that I'm not saying SD boats aren't seaworthy just that generally speaking FD boats are more seaworthy .. and double end boats even more so.

Sorry I didn't make that clear enough.

Old 05-14-2015, 11:17 AM   #16
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
On the N46 I decently took up the California coast the owner typically cruises the boat at 1550 and burns 1.6/7 @ 6 kts, I wanted to get there and pushed the boat to 1710 and saw 2.3/4 gph @ 7kts. I had a 2.5 day weather window to do a 40hr run from Conception to San Fransisco and didn't want to have the window shut while still outside.
I had the same motor in Volunteer, 6cyl JD, 130hp and ran it @ 1750 for a average fuel burn of 2.2 gph @7.9 kts.

My take on the thing is both boats weigh within a couple 1000lbs but the Nordy is slower as the flat seiner stern on Volunteer really got a push from her stern wave.

also regarding the additional fuel burn the loss of 1/2 kmpg was totally worth getting there and as I wasn't paying for fuel I didn't care... but the other thing was the boat felt so much happier at 7kts and had less roll
(10' 10 sec. wave period according to buoy reports not mine). The JD also seems to really feel and sound happy @ 1700.

The N46 is a great boat, built well, comfy, sturdy,classy,capable.. but a touch slow. No matter that some feel the boat is "overpowered" there are times when you will not regret the extra ponies.

I personally know of a different N46 that had to use all of its main engine hp and all of the wing engine's hp to fight up river in a massive current while doing less than 1/2 knot.. he was wishing for more.

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:40 AM   #17
Guru

HOLLYWOOD,
Most want more speed that's why most have SD boats. If an owner finds himself pushing a boat he probably needs a faster boat. And the N46 suffers from a low WLL relative to her OAL. So does my Willard. For those that have the need for speed FD is NOT the way to go.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:44 PM   #18
Guru

City: Fort Myers
Also a bigger difference (HP wise) running in a large sea and the calm back waters of where your Willard roams. Not everything is a simple calculation.
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 02:03 PM   #19

City: Miami
Even a clean vs dirty bottom makes a significant difference.

Via iPhone.
Old 05-14-2015, 02:06 PM   #20
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post

I personally know of a different N46 that had to use all of its main engine hp and all of the wing engine's hp to fight up river in a massive current while doing less than 1/2 knot.. he was wishing for more.

HOLLYWOOD

I often wonder how my boat will do if I ever get caught in big seas and have to use extra power to keep up with big waves or whatever. I remember getting caught in a strong tidal current next to an inlet and barely making 5 knots. My boat will do 8knots in calm water but not much power left over after that.

Do you need more speed in big seas?

cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote