Old 02-13-2018, 06:59 AM   #21
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Aweigh
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
Absolutely a scam. I have received similarly constructed responses to ads I have placed on Craigslist a number of times. I always respond with one word, a@@hole. Mysteriously, I never get a response.
These scammers must do pretty thorough searches because the only two places that I have mentioned selling the boat are here in TF and the Southeast Nordic Tug Owners Association. It is not on Craig's List, ebay or listed with a broker.

But, I guess if you're sitting at your computer all day eating Cheetos and looking for someone to scam you will occasionally get more than orange stains on your privates.

seasalt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:18 AM   #22

City: North Carolina
Vessel Name: SCOUT
Vessel Model: Great Harbour N37
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
Absolutely a scam. I have received similarly constructed responses to ads I have placed on Craigslist a number of times. I always respond with one word, a@@hole. Mysteriously, I never get a response.
Valid email address confirmed. Check.

boathealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:28 PM   #23
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
Phase 1 of a phish. You can read how it works with a google search. Common
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 02:33 PM   #24
Guru

Lucky me. I sold it again today. It was a little different than the first time which sent the below message the first time. This go around I got an email for this guy saying he saw it in the Nordic Tug Owner's Association and simply ask for the current location and if the price had changed. I responded because it looked legit. Then today in comes this:

How are you doing today? I appreciate your immediate response back to me, I am glad to let you know that I'm purchasing it ASAP
It will be shipped to my Location at ( Wakefield, Kansas ) though I am currently out of the States and wouldn't be back till the end of April, but that would not stop our transaction.
So let's proceed with the Payment, I 'm going to request for a Certified Cashier's check from my Bank for the requested quantity and have my Banker mail it to your address via The United States Postal Service. My Shippers will load and pick up when Payment clears your Bank, I Would need the following details to process the Cashier's Check to be sent out to you the next business day
*Total Amount For The Item
Old 02-14-2018, 02:40 PM   #25

City: North Carolina
Vessel Name: SCOUT
Vessel Model: Great Harbour N37
There was a web site for a guy somewhere way back that would play along with these guys and get them to send him $25 or $50, telling them he had to fedex some paperwork or something. Thinking they had a big fish, they would send these small amounts via paypal. Then he would tell them nevermind.

When I was looking at the time he was up a few thousand dollars in total from a bunch of different scammers.
boathealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:42 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by boathealer View Post
Valid email address confirmed. Check.
So I doubt that many sales happen. Are they in the business of selling valid email addresses to Internet advertisers?

How does a phisher make money if no one falls for their offer and lets them have access to bank accounts, etc?
Old 02-14-2018, 07:02 PM   #27
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
I had the same deal a few years ago when I was as trying to sell my sailboat . I told one guy to just put the cash in a 5 gallon bucket , seal it off and FedX it . Another guy told me he was a lottery winner and he had a couple of girl friends in my area and he just bought a Porsche and he would be in area in a couple days checking on his “bunnies “. He also said he was a diver and wanted to dive under my boat to check out the bottom and if he saw blisters the deal was off . I guess he musta found some blisters !
Old 02-14-2018, 07:06 PM   #28

City: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasalt007 View Post
So I doubt that many sales happen. Are they in the business of selling valid email addresses to Internet advertisers?

How does a phisher make money if no one falls for their offer and lets them have access to bank accounts, etc?
I could be wrong but I think phase 2 is building trust, if no pertinent info is given the scammer will move on..Its a process and the scammer is probably working hundreds if not thousands of addresses during a day...
Genecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:20 PM   #29
Guru

Starts with something vague, idle chat about the boat, compliments about the boat etc. There is a big reluctance to phone you,they SMS/text, or email via the website you are using. I had someone ask me to phone him,I thought, why doesn`t he phone me if he wants info, so I didn`t, and no follow up ever happened. One guy I actually phoned using a service which does not send my number,someone did answer, but his later contact attempts were still SMS.
I suppose you could miss someone genuine who accidentally fits the pattern and gets ignored, but it is unlikely. After a while the pattern and patter was obvious, sometimes I think it was the same scammer trying again with a different name.
A sale contract could require settlement at your bank, with a bank(?certified or cashier`s in USA) cheque drawn on one of 4 nominated banks(our big 4 banks), that way no giving out a/c numbers. I`d insist on a contract, not just payment,to regulate the deal, but I guess long before that they are gone if they are a scammer.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 09:28 AM   #30
Guru

I finally got the dinghy down for a picture and a run. Fast!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E1.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	75144