Old 09-22-2019, 06:13 PM   #1

City: Tucson
Looking for Trailer Trawler

In search of good sound trailerable trawler 24' to 29'....minor fix-up ok.
2000 models and newer. Thx. 🐬

TugRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 07:08 PM   #2

City: Lake Stevens, WA via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Vessel Model: C-Dory 25
Look into a C- Dory 25 cruiser. Iím biased, but they are strong, dry, safe and efficient trailerable boats. Simple in design and layout. Easily maintained. No fluff, just efficient simplicity, like an old VW. Google ďC-BratsĒ and youíll see numerous for sale.

localboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 07:23 PM   #3
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Welcome aboard. We lived in Tucson for 30 years before moving to Michigan.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 07:51 PM   #4
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 29 - Express Cruiser 1969
Cutwaters and Ranger Tugs (same company) are both trailerable.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 07:59 PM   #5

City: SOBX North Carolina
I would not consider any four stroke outboard powered boat a trawler, a hull that goes displacement speeds for long periods of time. The C Dory or even the Roseborough boats are mostly powered by the four strokes outboards. And overtime the four stroke outboards will not operate in a healthy manner if you don't run it at the upper range of rpms on a frequent occasion, IMHO.
Old 09-22-2019, 09:25 PM   #6
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Frisky
Vessel Model: 99 Nordic Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchnsaw View Post
I would not consider any four stroke outboard powered boat a trawler, a hull that goes displacement speeds for long periods of time. The C Dory or even the Roseborough boats are mostly powered by the four strokes outboards. And overtime the four stroke outboards will not operate in a healthy manner if you don't run it at the upper range of rpms on a frequent occasion, IMHO.
I believe the same can be said for large diesels. I think my Cummins manual recommends running at high rpms for 20 minutes before every shutdown.
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 09:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bligh View Post
I believe the same can be said for large diesels. I think my Cummins manual recommends running at high rpms for 20 minutes before every shutdown.
Well people considering a trawler in most cases expect a maximum of 7 to 10 knots or mph , depending on how you count your speed over ground.

And most outboard powered hulls, as in the example of the C Dory does that just above your idle speeds or trolling speeds for most planing hulls. This is usually not the case when considering the diesel installed in a displacement style hull , which should be considered a trawler style hull around these parts. [of course this is an on going interpretation here too. [.

You are way above the mid range of your top end wheeled rpms for the diesels and doing the max of 7 to 10 knots?. So its not as critical versus the outboards. I don't consider my current hull a trawler, even though I am very efficient at the 7 mph range since my top end is way above that speed at the prescribed top end rpm on the outboard.
Old 09-22-2019, 09:56 PM   #8
Guru

City: B.C.
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: xxxx
Rosboroughs also in the 24 ft range.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 10:43 PM   #9
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
The only real trawler that is trailerable IMO is the Swedish built Albin25.
Probably around 5,000lbs including the trailer.

Sorry nowhere close to a 2000 model year.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 12:50 AM   #10
Guru

City: Leesburg, VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchnsaw View Post
Whether it's a trawler or not, plenty of people run their C-Dorys at trawler speeds most of the time. Haven't heard of any issues with the engines.
ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 06:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssobol View Post
Whether it's a trawler or not, plenty of people run their C-Dorys at trawler speeds most of the time. Haven't heard of any issues with the engines.
Many sportfishing boats use their four strokes at fishing speeds for long periods of time. But these boats and engines do not cruise to their fishing grounds at this speed. My original point was that trawler speed and rpms are not the primary rpm that's used as with cruising all day for weeks at a time. His request was for a trawler. So it is important to clarify the meaning of trawler for the sake of your primary use and desires. And that does make a difference, IMO[observation]. The Ranger tug, pilgrim and Nordic hulls are in a different class as the c Dory boats for sure. YMMV
Old 09-23-2019, 09:49 AM   #12
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
The only real trawler that is trailerable IMO is the Swedish built Albin25.
Probably around 5,000lbs including the trailer.

Sorry nowhere close to a 2000 model year.
There sure a lot of Albin 25 for sale, at rock bottom price.... What is the aft cabin lay out like?
Old 09-23-2019, 10:29 AM   #13
Veteran Member

City: Dodgeville, Wi
Vessel Name: Honu
Vessel Model: 25 foot Atlas Acadia
An Acadia 25 is a New England style, Lobster style picnic boat. I have one with the 100 hp Yanmar, it will plane but travels at modest speeds, happily at 8 - 10 knots around 2.5 or less GPH, 60 gallons of fuel only but still decent range. Very trailerable.
Bob B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 11:12 AM   #14
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Dan,
The Albin’s aft cabin is a small V berth like cabin. Space was utilized under the cockpit seat rise like many sailboats. Albin built many sailboats and some of the Deluxe 25’s detail features reflect that. One version of the A25’s is actually a motorsailer.
We used the aft cabin for storage and Chris ha a lot of her clothes and girl stuff back there and she called it her “dressing room”. I didn’t even like to get in it as the getting in and out was awkward. Also the drop from berth to sole was quite short.

But for a family or young people that didn’t want to leave their friends ashore it is perfect.

The A25’s typically burn 1/2 to .85 gph. The .85gph gave my Albin 8.5 knots. We ran 7.35 to Juneau and back. Most A25 skippers run at 6 knots and thought I was doing something sinful at over 8. The early hull design boats (like mine) would top out at 11 knots but at that speed fwd visibility was limited.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 12:20 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Ranger Tug 31 CB (Command Bridge)

We recently boat a 2017 Ranger Tug, R31CB.

We have already logged over 300 hours, including a 900 nautical mile trip from Baltimore to NY, circumnavigating long island.

In short, we really like this boat. We like trawler style and flybridge, but also like to travel. So we wanted a boat that we could pull down to the keys or up to New England by trailer, or just trawler around the Chesapeake bay. I also wanted something that could handle weather. So we got, what I consider, the biggest trawler-style boat we can tow? Another advantage of this is that we can pull it out to inspect/paint bottom, change zincs or just wash and wax. Where she lives in the winter is also much less complicated.

When we started examining the Ranger Tugs, we carefully analyzed each model in terms of what we wanted for our our next 5-8 years. We landed on the R31 CB. We can put enough people on for a cruise, but doesn't sleep a lot, too comfortably (with the exception of our state room, which we don't share)!

It has a big stern cockpit area in back. That is actually a favorite place for people to sleep, when the weather is right. There is a side birth (cave) that is big enough for two (not us, but others who want to crash on board), and the table drops down for two more to sleep.

Also, the newer R31 CBs, beginning with model year 2016, went to a hard top over the rear cockpit. This improved the seating on the command bridge, significantly. We can cruise with 6 people up top and then others scattered below. Also, the bench seats in the cockpit "kick out" opening up that space as well.

Good luck on your search. BTW, I'm a real PIA when it comes to be critical of cars, boats, riding lawn mowers, etc. These Ranger Tugs are very well build machines. Let me know if you have any questions. I'm happy to share my experience about the R31CB.

Best,
Bobby
rpelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 01:20 PM   #16
Guru

City: Litchfield, Ct/Punta Gorda, Fl
Vessel Model: Atlas Pompano 23
With a dry weight of 11,500 lbs for the Ranger Tug 31, which probably makes its all up towing weight near 15,000 lbs. That will take a full one ton pickup, preferably a dually, to tow safely.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 01:29 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Yes, that is correct. I am currently looking for an F250 with diesel, or a F350. I have a Ram 1500 ecodiesel that I use to pull it in and out and around the marina.
Bob
Old 09-25-2019, 01:33 PM   #18

City: Prosser, WA
Vessel Name: Seaforth
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
I have an NT 26 and it is just "trailerable". "Trailer movable" probably a better term, but really no problem. Have had it back and forth from E-WA a few times without issues, and it is nice to keep it on the trailer.
highlanderninerkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 01:38 PM   #19

City: Gustavus, AK
Vessel Name: Troll Hunter
Vessel Model: Allweather
There is an Allweather for sale in Seattle area Craigslist. 26' diesel displacement trawler.
ak-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 07:30 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Just got my new truck to pull my Ranger Tug R31-CB. Yes, trailerable trawler!

Tags
nordic, north western, pilgrim, ranger tug, rosborough