Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Forum > Classifieds

Closed Thread
Old 03-26-2013, 07:47 AM   #21
City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Originally Posted by Mickey Belden View Post

Thanks for keeping me in mind. The 44' DF would be an excellent choice but I had a 49' RPH in mind. I prefer the the pilot house design and the extra space that a 49' provides. Where is this 44' located in case thing change?
To me the 44 seams more roomy inside than the 49. What it lacks is the walk out cockpit and Pilot house. The fly bridge is great. It has a lot of steps, and is not as easily boarded. However, it is a very livable design.

Either are great cruising boats.

Don on Moonstruck
Sabre 42 Hardtop Express & Blackfin 25 CC
When cruising life is simpler, but on a grander scale (author unknown)
Old 03-26-2013, 08:37 AM   #22
City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
What it lacks is the walk out cockpit.......
A walk out cockpit is the closest thing to a "patio" on a boat. A must have, IMO.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:50 PM   #23
City: Whidbey Island WA
Vessel Name: Northstar
Vessel Model: Willard 40
Speaking of "DeFevers"...How familiar are you folks with the layout of the POCTA built DF45 Pilothouse? These newer boats are a perfect blend of the 44' Offshore and the 49' pilothouse trawlers. Recently, we came close to buying one (but ran into nasty tax issues related to our former charter vessel). For us, the best feature was the versatile guest quarters/den. With the MSR forward, the guest quarters is located mid-ship across from the single spacious head. With the upper bunk lowered, it turns into a cozy sofa for hangin' out. The engine room door is here and opens to a huge ER (though NOTHING compares to the near stand-up space found in the 44 Offshore!). The pilothouse was clean and uncluttered with interior stairs to the boat deck. But my wife's favorite space was the roomy galley with home size counters and a double bowl ss sink that made it ideal for "home style" cooking and easy cleaning up (my job!). With all these pluses, the saloon was actually underwhelming? All and all, for us the 45 pilothouse is the "Perfect" boat. (Did I mention the twin JD4045s!) Now we have to convince Uncle Sam to let us sell our boat without having to repay those tax breaks he gave us over the years!
Old 03-31-2013, 11:35 PM   #24

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Originally Posted by mahal View Post
On that note, what ever happened to Arctic Traveler, our resident Alaska and Defever RPH 49 expert? I miss reading his posts.
Thanks for the kind words. We have been really busy, working in Mexico spending a lot of time at sea and delivering boats. Mostly though there has just been a real lack of internet availability in the places we have been. As for the 49, I agree there are good ones and not so good ones. We were very fortunate to find one that was very well equipped and properly maintained. I keep up on regular maintenance, and have almost no issues. My newest purchase is a full boat cover. I can't wait to get it fitted and see how it works. It was pretty darn expensive, but it should retard the aging process. .........Arctic Traveller

Trawler training and yacht charters at www.arctictraveller.com
Closed Thread