Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Forum > Classifieds
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-17-2012, 03:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member
 
lostviking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 45
Looking for 30-something foot Trawler in Miami for about 20-25k in late August.

Hi!

I am new to this forum.

My wife and I are going to become liveaboards in the BVI, and our plane leaves from Norway the 25 of August.

We want to buy a cheap trawler

(around 20k) of some kind, it might be a taiwan one.

As we are to live in warm waters I do not want wooden hull.*

We plan to spend 3 months in Miami and then take the boat to BVI at the end of hurricane season. If anyone knows of a boat to fit the description in FL around that date we will be wery happy
__________________
Advertisement

lostviking is offline  
Old 02-17-2012, 03:36 PM   #2
Guru
 
Carey's Avatar
 
City: Bellingham, WA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,101
Looking for 30-something foot Trawler in Miami for about 20-25k in late August.

I wish you luck. But you won't likely find a decent boat you'd want to live aboard in that price range. There are many websites you can peruse to give you a preview and help you get your expectations in line.


-- Edited by Carey on Friday 17th of February 2012 06:01:25 PM
__________________

Carey is offline  
Old 02-17-2012, 05:50 PM   #3
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,928
RE: Looking for 30-something foot Trawler in Miami for about 20-25k in late August.

Quote:
lostviking wrote:
Hi!

I am new to this forum.

My wife and I are going to become liveaboards in the BVI, and our plane leaves from Norway the 25 of August.

We want to buy a cheap trawler

(around 20k) of some kind, it might be a taiwan one.

As we are to live in warm waters I do not want wooden hull.*

We plan to spend 3 months in Miami and then take the boat to BVI at the end of hurricane season. If anyone knows of a boat to fit the description in FL around that date we will be wery happy
*expect $120,000 turnkey...anything less and you might get underway but I would be either scared or plan on doing some MAJOR maintenance in the VERY near future
psneeld is offline  
Old 02-17-2012, 06:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 50
RE: Looking for 30-something foot Trawler in Miami for about 20-25k in late August.

Start looking on Craigslist NOW.

Do you have any boating knowledge?

Will you know if a boat is good or not?

Not trying to bust your chops, just need more info to help you.
Boathommy is offline  
Old 02-18-2012, 03:06 AM   #5
FF
Guru
 
FF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,534
Looking for 30-something foot Trawler in Miami for about 20-25k in late August.

The problem is only Craig's List , or a marina to marina search will find your boat.

Brokers want cream puffs that are easy to show and sell and a $25,000 boat fixer upper offers almost no commission .

The fixer uppers get loads of dreamers that want the royal tour , waste hours of brokers time and usually don't buy as its not their dream boat, or they don't have a dime.

Try a WANTED advertisement in FL Mariner , and on Craig's list.

For my money the Gulftub trawler advertised on this board is about as good as it gets , and you will save the $25,000 and 2 -3 years of serious work you would spend on a "fixup".

*

The add,

*

1973 Gulfstar 36 Trawler

Super clean and lovingly maintained aft cabin flybridge trawler.*

Twin 4-236 Perkins Diesels, simple, smooth running and reliable.

Next Generation 5.5 KW Genset, rebuilt in 2006, Electrical end replaced in 2010.

Original gel coat still shines.* No hull blisters or rot.

Nibral props, new in 2006.* Shafts and struts also new in 2006.

Aluminum fuel tanks replaced in late 90's, no leaks or fouling.

All Exterior teak is in great shape with multiple coats of Cetol Gloss.

2 A/C units, new in 2007 and 2009, rear is 6,000 btu, aft is 16,000.

Garmin HD radar new in 2011.

Aluminum frame windows with no leaks or frame rot.

Teak parquet flooring throughout.

Bimini new in 2012.

Dinghy Davits and motor davit.

Large teak swim platform new in 2011.

Bright, airy interior, original formica laminate bulkeads are all gone, replaced with teak and or white fiberglass coverings.

All interior cusions are sunbrealla.

Aft cabin has offset queen berth, hanging lockers and drawers.

Fwd cabin has large v-berth and hanging/shelf locker.

L shaped sette couch in main cabin with storage under, added new in 2008.

Extensive galley update in 2005 with new fridge.* Updated custom herschoff style locker doors.* New counters and table surfaces.

Autopilot new in 2011.

Complete bonding system new in 2010.

Extensive deck core and non skid work in 2011.

Extensive spares inventory.

This is not a fixer upper, but is a very sound and seaworthy boat that has traveled over 5,000 miles on her own bottom in the last 5 years.* Upgrade to a new boat forces quick sale.

Currently lying in Green Turtle Cay, Abaco, Bahamas, but will be in Fort Lauderdale area soon.

$39,000

Call 850-591-6100 or email at megalops@comcast.net

*

*


-- Edited by FF on Saturday 18th of February 2012 04:09:59 AM
FF is offline  
Old 02-19-2012, 06:59 AM   #6
Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 511
Looking for 30-something foot Trawler in Miami for about 20-25k in late August.

Can you buy a cheap trawler in Norway that meets your requirements? I lived in Miami, Homestead, Tampa, and Key Largo for +/- 5 yrs looking for something similar to what you are asking for. you may find a sailboat that needs rigging (you could motor it) that would meet these needs but a true trawler profile boat in ready to shove off for Tortola condition that is sized for livability for $20K wasn't out there. The boat in the ad above sounds like it would save you a ton of money and provide a little "peace" of mind. Or the one I've posted below if you want to configure it your way. *What are your size requirements?


-- Edited by twiisted71 on Sunday 19th of February 2012 08:12:55 AM
twiisted71 is offline  
Old 02-19-2012, 07:06 AM   #7
Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 511
Looking for 30-something foot Trawler in Miami for about 20-25k in late August.

I highly doubt it will be here in late August but this is available in my area on CL now. *I must say that when we decided we would get a 34' Mainship that we literally went to see a dozen of them before we found one that didn't have the known typical mainship issues. *Just to clarify this is not my boat nor do I have any knowledge about it.

*

http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/boa/2856865715.html

*

*

I am looking to move/trade up to a larger trawler or cruiser. 36-47 Ft. with aft cabin, single or twin diesels. I'm not interested in any wood hulls. Boat doesn't need to be 100% complete. My trawler is approximately 85%. The Mainship sedan was one of the most popular trawlers of its era. Its very spacious for its size. It has been repowered with a 120 hp Lehman diesel and ZF transmission. I also have a 4.0 Kw Mase diesel generator that is ready to be installed. I just purchased two new dual purpose deep cycle batteries and alternator as well. The aft deck has a full wrap around canvas enclosure. It gives the boat a lot more living area. Boat is turn key and ready to be enjoyed. It just needs some cleaning, buffing and minor repairs. If you're looking to down size, or a first time trawler buyer, this is a great, economical boat that can be operated fairly easily with or without an extra deck hand. Would also make a nice liveaboard. Please send pictures of your trade. $29K obo.

239-281-zero719



-- Edited by twiisted71 on Sunday 19th of February 2012 08:13:30 AM


-- Edited by twiisted71 on Sunday 19th of February 2012 08:14:40 AM
twiisted71 is offline  
Old 02-20-2012, 04:48 AM   #8
FF
Guru
 
FF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,534
RE: Looking for 30-something foot Trawler in Miami for about 20-25k in late August.

new dual purpose deep cycle batteries

Really? When were these invented?
FF is offline  
Old 02-20-2012, 06:36 AM   #9
Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 511
RE: Looking for 30-something foot Trawler in Miami for about 20-25k in late August.

Nothing really special I'm sure. *Marine/RV batts are sometimes marketed as "dual Purpose"

*

http://www.amazon.com/Optima-Batteri...uct/B000MSDKMA
twiisted71 is offline  
Old 02-21-2012, 04:47 AM   #10
FF
Guru
 
FF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,534
RE: Looking for 30-something foot Trawler in Miami for about 20-25k in late August.

My favorite hammer is my "dual purpose" Snap on torque wrench
FF is offline  
Old 02-21-2012, 07:43 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 134
RE: Looking for 30-something foot Trawler in Miami for about 20-25k in late August.

off topic I think !
expat is offline  
Old 02-21-2012, 07:59 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
marinetrader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 301
RE: Looking for 30-something foot Trawler in Miami for about 20-25k in late August.

Twenty thousand trawler.....plan on investing another $100,000.00 to make her usable.
A $20k boat will be a major project boat; looking for a good boat, plan on $85,000.00 plus.
marinetrader is offline  
Old 02-21-2012, 04:03 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Baggiolini's Avatar
 
City: Monterey, CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Mahalo
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 398
RE: Looking for 30-something foot Trawler in Miami for about 20-25k in late August.

Quote:
marinetrader wrote:
Twenty thousand trawler.....plan on investing another $100,000.00 to make her usable.
A $20k boat will be a major project boat; looking for a good boat, plan on $85,000.00 plus.
*Sounds about right to me!* And you're going to have to put some hours on her before you take off.
Baggiolini is offline  
Old 02-21-2012, 05:39 PM   #14
Veteran Member
 
Cadillac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 28
Looking for 30-something foot Trawler in Miami for about 20-25k in late August.

I have a 32' Wood with fiberglass covering for $20,000 in Stuart, FL. (772) 285-2266 / cadillacboats@me.com

This boat was finished in 2002 and has a Florida title, this boat has only *50 freshwater hours on it. Might be worth a look. Thanks, Cadillac McDaniel*



-- Edited by Cadillac on Tuesday 6th of March 2012 06:37:28 PM



-- Edited by Cadillac on Tuesday 6th of March 2012 06:40:40 PM



-- Edited by Cadillac on Tuesday 6th of March 2012 06:41:27 PM



-- Edited by Cadillac on Tuesday 6th of March 2012 06:42:05 PM



-- Edited by Cadillac on Tuesday 6th of March 2012 06:42:48 PM



-- Edited by Cadillac on Tuesday 6th of March 2012 06:43:28 PM



-- Edited by Cadillac on Tuesday 6th of March 2012 06:44:17 PM


-- Edited by Cadillac on Tuesday 6th of March 2012 06:45:10 PM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cimg9404.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	10477   Click image for larger version

Name:	pict0144.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	10478   Click image for larger version

Name:	pict0139.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	10479   Click image for larger version

Name:	cimg9232.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	10480   Click image for larger version

Name:	cimg9110.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	10481  

Click image for larger version

Name:	cimg9409.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	10482   Click image for larger version

Name:	cimg9406.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	187.0 KB
ID:	10483   Click image for larger version

Name:	cimg9400.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	10484   Click image for larger version

Name:	cimg9401.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	10485  
Cadillac is offline  
Old 07-08-2012, 02:35 PM   #15
Veteran Member
 
Cadillac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 28
Now in the water "Freshwater" in Stuart, FL. More work has been completed and she's at $25,000. She's running 9 knots and ready to go, new Florida title and registration. PLease come and take a look when you get here. ALso have a nice 29' Prarie here too.
Thanks, Cadillac (772) 285-2266
Cadillac is offline  
Old 07-08-2012, 04:55 PM   #16
Guru
 
ARoss's Avatar
 
City: Chocowinity NC
Vessel Name: My Yuki
Vessel Model: 1973 Marine Trader 34
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 625
Lostviking started this thread looking for a fixer in FL and I guess he found one. . They're still out there.
1976 Marine Trader Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
ARoss is offline  
Old 07-14-2012, 08:52 PM   #17
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 33
I have a 40' Sedan Trawler, 3208 Cat, new genset, new airs, inverter, solar, and the price is 32,000 firm. I will try to post an image, and if you are interested, you might want to call me at 239-247-2505. Coming through Miami with it in four days, enroute to Pine Island. Engine is a repower with less than 350 hours. (2) Gps, D/F, Autopilot, Oil Xchange, pre-oiler, consumption gauge, 1000 mile range, email me for pics and specs. reliabletow@earthlink.net Jerry
jerryreliable is offline  
Old 09-03-2012, 05:03 PM   #18
Guru
 
Dougcole's Avatar
 
City: Carrabelle, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
The problem is only Craig's List , or a marina to marina search will find your boat.

Brokers want cream puffs that are easy to show and sell and a $25,000 boat fixer upper offers almost no commission .

The fixer uppers get loads of dreamers that want the royal tour , waste hours of brokers time and usually don't buy as its not their dream boat, or they don't have a dime.

Try a WANTED advertisement in FL Mariner , and on Craig's list.

For my money the Gulftub trawler advertised on this board is about as good as it gets , and you will save the $25,000 and 2 -3 years of serious work you would spend on a "fixup".

*

The add,

*

1973 Gulfstar 36 Trawler

Super clean and lovingly maintained aft cabin flybridge trawler.*

Twin 4-236 Perkins Diesels, simple, smooth running and reliable.

Next Generation 5.5 KW Genset, rebuilt in 2006, Electrical end replaced in 2010.

Original gel coat still shines.* No hull blisters or rot.

Nibral props, new in 2006.* Shafts and struts also new in 2006.

Aluminum fuel tanks replaced in late 90's, no leaks or fouling.

All Exterior teak is in great shape with multiple coats of Cetol Gloss.

2 A/C units, new in 2007 and 2009, rear is 6,000 btu, aft is 16,000.

Garmin HD radar new in 2011.

Aluminum frame windows with no leaks or frame rot.

Teak parquet flooring throughout.

Bimini new in 2012.

Dinghy Davits and motor davit.

Large teak swim platform new in 2011.

Bright, airy interior, original formica laminate bulkeads are all gone, replaced with teak and or white fiberglass coverings.

All interior cusions are sunbrealla.

Aft cabin has offset queen berth, hanging lockers and drawers.

Fwd cabin has large v-berth and hanging/shelf locker.

L shaped sette couch in main cabin with storage under, added new in 2008.

Extensive galley update in 2005 with new fridge.* Updated custom herschoff style locker doors.* New counters and table surfaces.

Autopilot new in 2011.

Complete bonding system new in 2010.

Extensive deck core and non skid work in 2011.

Extensive spares inventory.

This is not a fixer upper, but is a very sound and seaworthy boat that has traveled over 5,000 miles on her own bottom in the last 5 years.* Upgrade to a new boat forces quick sale.

Currently lying in Green Turtle Cay, Abaco, Bahamas, but will be in Fort Lauderdale area soon.

$39,000

Call 850-591-6100 or email at megalops@comcast.net

*

*


-- Edited by FF on Saturday 18th of February 2012 04:09:59 AM
Thanks Fred for the call out. Our boat is currently lying in Nettles Island Marina, near Jensen Beach Florida and is still for sale. I will entertain all offers. I just detailed the engine room, it really is a very clean and reliable boat for the money. I've been surprised at the almost total lack of interest.

I'll post some new pics and bring the ad back to the top.

Doug
Dougcole is offline  
Old 09-03-2012, 05:52 PM   #19
Guru
 
City: Hotel, CA
Country: Fried
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 8,328
Doug for my part it's just a classic case of wrong-coast-itus.

If that thing was out my way we would have talked already. I'm kinda surprised no one has taken a shot at it yet. Reefdrifter's boat is another one that has me surprised too.
__________________

__________________
Craig

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
28 Foot Wood Trawler as is or parts. Spiritwolf15x Classifieds 0 10-12-2011 10:42 AM
August Joke Doc Harbor Chat 3 08-02-2011 04:35 PM
auto pilot for my 24 foot hercules trawler Knot In A Hurry Knot In A Hurry Trailerable or Pocket Trawlers 2 07-25-2011 08:24 PM
Opppps!!! I said REVERSE Oh well too late AllanY General Discussion 1 10-16-2010 05:14 PM




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012