Old 10-25-2015, 11:38 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Stuart, FL
LG-X-400 Algae-X Magnetic Fuel Conditioner (3/8" Port)

Hi All,

We are changing the fuel polishing system that the previous owner installed on our boat and so have this unit available.

The specification for this unit are:
  • Model: LG-X-400
  • Port Size (NPT): 3/8”
  • Max Flow Rate: 90 GPH
  • Weight: 2 lb
  • HP Range: 500

Very clean condition.

The 3/8" port size unit has been discontinued by ALGAE-X, so here is an opportunity for you to buy one.

The price is $185 + shipping.
Attached Thumbnails
Algae-X 400 Front.jpg   Algae-X 400 Back.jpg  
Old 11-25-2015, 06:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

City: Stuart, FL
Hi Everyone,

It's a long weekend and I would like to sell this item, so get into the holiday spirit and make me a reasonable offer.

Thanks,

Pelagic
Old 11-25-2015, 07:03 PM   #3
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Not working for you?
Old 11-25-2015, 07:16 PM   #4
Scraping Paint

City: -
Not sure what Algae-X is supposed to prevent since algae doesn't grow in fuel tanks. Bacteria and other organisms do, but algae doesn't. Algae needs sunlight to grow. Not much of that inside a fuel tank.

I believe the whole magnetic growth-inhibitor theory has been debunked in tests countless times over in many parts of the world for many, many years now. The last "doesn't work" report I recall reading was from the UK in a Land Rover enthusiast magazine.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:17 PM   #5
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Biting my tongue...biting my tongue...
Old 11-25-2015, 08:03 PM   #6
Guru

City: Sydney
We send ppl to prison here for selling Magnetic Fuel Conditioners

Old 11-25-2015, 08:28 PM   #7
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
well,,, the PO was a buyer, by these accounts he got suckered by everyone. Just throw all that $hit away and do it right. Nobody here will want it. Snake oil all around.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:53 PM   #8
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
This was done by a very anal and analytical guy on the Hatteras Owners Forum. Pictures are off line now I guess. FWIW. My Hatteras came with them courtesy of a PO. I don't know if they work or not; I just go a long time, 200-300 hours before having to change filters. My penchant for clean fuel? Maybe. The PO seemed to think they made a difference from his "before" experience. Keep in mind Detroits cycle a lot of fuel due to the high return rate. The name is a misnomer, it's the asphaltenes and other precipitants they supposedly go after. They certainly do no harm. The company does make a nice complete fuel polishing system.

Untitled Document

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
Old 11-25-2015, 09:20 PM   #9
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
Well there you go, you can get some spares for when yours wear out.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:46 PM   #10
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulas44 View Post
Well there you go, you can get some spares for when yours wear out.
Old 11-26-2015, 12:12 AM   #11
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
You can get anything you want - at Alice's Restaurant!
Old 11-26-2015, 07:20 AM   #12
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Personally I think it is pretty darn rude to get on someone's "for sale" thread and just randomly trash the product they have listed. People can make their own decisions based on research and experience. When a neighbor has a car or boat or whatever you don't like for sale in their yard or driveway, do you make sure to go over to any lookers and disparage the thing?

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
Old 11-26-2015, 07:49 AM   #13
Guru

Some websites I have been on have eliminated the ability to comment on a sellers posts...maybe for the same reasons.

But on the other hand...so many here consider this a "community"...

If you believe doing something someone else posted as dangerous or wrong, don't many here jump in and clearly state that?

So if someone believes something for sale is inappropriate for someone else's use... I can see a similarity.

Allowing opinions in a "for sale" thread just force the seller to clearly state why the item is being sold and whether it was a working takeout or new. It also forces them to state why some one else may want it or need it if it has a colored reputation or doubtful performance.

Being polite about it helps....that's why I asked if it was working for the OP or not....not just coming out and tossing out my opinion on the product.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:52 AM   #14
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
George

Rude, probably yes. But purveyors of - fuel treatments, special non OEM oil, Bruce anchors (mine works fine up to about 35 knots), ratty looking vessels, Taiwan trawler teak decks, IVECO diesels, Raymarine radars, not enjoying every Pacific coast stop, venturing out into a hurricane, paper towel filters and certain religions are really good at heart - are in for a rough ride.

We who believe in some of the above may even think a few of the plus sized models are skinny.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:55 AM   #15
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Meant exactly what I said in # 11. That is... "Excepting Alice - of course! Yes this dates me, and I love it!!

BTW: I posted in jest and have no idea if product for sale is good or bad. Although, I would like to know it's true qualities... if someone on TF really understands them or can lead us to a site that explains such.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:56 AM   #16
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Thank you, no.
Old 11-26-2015, 08:13 AM   #17
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Personally I think it is pretty darn rude to get on someone's "for sale" thread and just randomly trash the product they have listed. People can make their own decisions based on research and experience. When a neighbor has a car or boat or whatever you don't like for sale in their yard or driveway, do you make sure to go over to any lookers and disparage the thing?
You wouldn't want someone to discourage you from considering a placebo?

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
Old 11-26-2015, 08:27 AM   #18
Guru

I can see a sanitized or comment free fore sale section.

If you feel strongly enough about an item being sold, and a good example would be one where you have personally looked at the item and it is being misrepresented, then a separate thread or PM could be used.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:13 AM   #19
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
BIG, BIG difference between a member selling something they KNOW is faulty and touting it to be a worthwhile purchase and unknowingly selling the same product thinking there is some worth to it. I would prefer to give Mr. P the benefit of the doubt and it will be interesting to see what transpires as a result of all the negative feedback. Perhaps e-bay or Craigslist would be a better venue to advertise.
Over the years I have noticed most, if not all, sale items to be honestly represented and if purchased by another member to be reported as advertised. In spite of the fact that Algae-X products may be akin to snake oil, they continue to be installed in, what seems to be, all manner of equipment. Personally, MY opinion is snake oil but it's MY opinion only in this case.
It sort of begs the question though, why is Mr. P replacing replacing the items if they, in fact, perform as to their advertising claims?
Old 11-26-2015, 09:53 AM   #20
Guru

City: kemah
The only reason you are still commenting in the thread is the mods are not awake...

I posted a current "new" price for something advertised on here for far more than it was worth, and it was quickly swept into the trash.

Tags
algae-x, fuel, lg-x-400, polisher, polishing