Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 11:07 AM   #21
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
We are awake and it had already been reported. We are also discussing the same thing you are discussing here. Most forums I come from do not allow negative feedback in the For Sale section. It is a BUYER BEWARE situation. Psneeld's question, IMO, is perfectly fine. Does it work? Nothing wrong with that. But I do not agree that Marin's is usefule in any way or anyone else that slams the OP's for sale item. Anyway, I do not know if things will change here but I am just stating my opinion. I believe people that buy stuff on the internet should be smart enough to know what works and what they want and they don't need the omnipotent advice of everyone in the Universe!!! This is a place to sell things. Not discuss things. Imagine if Marin ever put his boat up for sale. We have pages and pages of how he thinks it is not the ideal boat and that his engines suck.....straight from his mouth/fingers. Would it be appropriate for us to post that on his for sale thread??? No it would not. Anyway, I am not in favor of extended negative discussion on someone's for sale thread.

Old 11-26-2015, 11:25 AM   #22
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
We are awake and it had already been reported. We are also discussing the same thing you are discussing here. Most forums I come from do not allow negative feedback in the For Sale section. It is a BUYER BEWARE situation. Psneeld's question, IMO, is perfectly fine. Does it work? Nothing wrong with that. But I do not agree that Marin's is usefule in any way or anyone else that slams the OP's for sale item. Anyway, I do not know if things will change here but I am just stating my opinion. I believe people that buy stuff on the internet should be smart enough to know what works and what they want and they don't need the omnipotent advice of everyone in the Universe!!! This is a place to sell things. Not discuss things. Imagine if Marin ever put his boat up for sale. We have pages and pages of how he thinks it is not the ideal boat and that his engines suck.....straight from his mouth/fingers. Would it be appropriate for us to post that on his for sale thread??? No it would not. Anyway, I am not in favor of extended negative discussion on someone's for sale thread.
but what if his experts agree????

Old 11-26-2015, 11:27 AM   #23
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
now that I have had my fun....maybe time to get the whole tread back on track by erasing everything back to post #1....
Old 11-26-2015, 11:33 AM   #24
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
WImagine if Marin ever put his boat up for sale. We have pages and pages of how he thinks it is not the ideal boat and that his engines suck.....straight from his mouth/fingers. Would it be appropriate for us to post that on his for sale thread??? No it would not.
Of course it would. This is an amateur boating forum. Forum means just that. You talk about things. It's not a newspaper/magazine classified section or Craigslist or Ebay. You want to advertise something for sale with no commentary, put it in the venues that allow that.

If we were going to put our GB up for sale-- which we wouldn't as we've made other arrangements for it with the state-- if we advertised it here we would expect comments on it from members, pro and con. Making a purchase decision requires information, and a place like this is a good source for it, pro and con. I'd rather see comments about something in the For Sale section of the forum about something I was interested in buying than not. I don't buy things blindly but go in search of information about them. So if happened to be interested in Algae-X or whatever I would actively seek out reviews and experience comments about it anyway. So why not allow them, particularly when the place it's being advertised has a lot of people with different levels of experience and knowledge?

If a person is so thin-skinned they get all weepy because someone says something is crap then they've got issues far greater than whatever my or anyone else's commentary might be.

I'll make my purchase decision based on my own evaluation. But for it to be a smart evaluation I want information and that's what a forum like this can provide.
Old 11-27-2015, 12:00 PM   #25
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Quote:
I agree with this.
Old 11-27-2015, 01:25 PM   #26
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
You are correct, please except my apology. I was sold a RCI 1000 about 12 years ago, along with the Algae X. Probably about the same setup as here. It still stings a bit just thinking about it. It was VERY expensive at the time, and even more so later as I learned that it didnt do as claimed. However, just the act of circulating the fuel helped. I see them on ebay sometimes and they still sell. Just because I didnt think it worked doesnt mean others have not had good results.
Old 11-27-2015, 02:11 PM   #27
TF Site Team

City: Houston
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Kulas44, in my book it takes a much better man to apologize than to criticize! My hat off to you sir!
Old 11-27-2015, 09:35 PM   #28
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
You wouldn't want someone to discourage you from considering a placebo?

Ted
At least placebos can be effective.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:09 AM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Personally I think it is pretty darn rude to get on someone's "for sale" thread and just randomly trash the product they have listed. People can make their own decisions based on research and experience. When a neighbor has a car or boat or whatever you don't like for sale in their yard or driveway, do you make sure to go over to any lookers and disparage the thing?
I agree 100%.
It's way past rude.
Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
Old 11-30-2015, 10:15 AM   #30
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
I agree 100%.
It's way past rude.

IMHO Classified ads should be just that and not open to discussion.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:46 AM   #31
FF
Guru

"MHO Classified ads should be just that and not open to discussion."

Not so, many used items have excellent new lives .

Here in FL old style fisherman anchors hold up a lot of mailboxes and yard lights.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:18 PM   #32

City: Bethlehem, PA
Vessel Name: Lady Kay V
Vessel Model: Don't know yet.....
This place is MOST entertaining...... and the 27 8x10 covered glossy pictures........
Old 12-08-2015, 06:24 PM   #33
Enigma

City: Slicker?
...With the paragraph on the back...telling what each one was...
Old 12-08-2015, 06:53 PM   #34
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
You can get anything you want.........

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
Old 12-08-2015, 07:37 PM   #35
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
This was done by a very anal and analytical guy on the Hatteras Owners Forum. Pictures are off line now I guess. FWIW. My Hatteras came with them courtesy of a PO. I don't know if they work or not; I just go a long time, 200-300 hours before having to change filters. My penchant for clean fuel? Maybe. The PO seemed to think they made a difference from his "before" experience. Keep in mind Detroits cycle a lot of fuel due to the high return rate. The name is a misnomer, it's the asphaltenes and other precipitants they supposedly go after. They certainly do no harm. The company does make a nice complete fuel polishing system.

Untitled Document
Now George, you know how impolite it is to disturb the peeps with data....how will they maintain their belief system if you mess with it by providing an alternate point of view?
Old 12-08-2015, 07:39 PM   #36
Grand Vizier

Quote:
+1
Old 12-08-2015, 11:51 PM   #37
Guru

City: Doha
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
But purveyors of ... paper towel filters ... are in for a rough ride.

We who believe in some of the above may even think a few of the plus sized models are skinny.
I've been out of touch with the snake oil salesmen for the last few years, but my understanding was that the "paper towel" oil purifiers (like Gulf Coast Filters) DO actually work. Countless testimonials based on oil analyses after hundreds of hours seem to support this.

Am I missing some key info here?
Old 12-09-2015, 02:52 AM   #38
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
Now George, you know how impolite it is to disturb the peeps with data....how will they maintain their belief system if you mess with it by providing an alternate point of view?
Yes, people are very reluctant to question their belief systems. Even when presented with non-biased, controlled, scientific data.
Old 12-09-2015, 08:42 AM   #39
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
I've been out of touch with the snake oil salesmen for the last few years, but my understanding was that the "paper towel" oil purifiers (like Gulf Coast Filters) DO actually work. Countless testimonials based on oil analyses after hundreds of hours seem to support this.

Am I missing some key info here?

1950's/60's; Town of Freeport on LI in NY:

Hudson Channel, next to Woodcleft Canal... Ed Warnke - Manager of Sunshine Boat Yard and then owner of Warnke Boat Yard co invented the TP-Roll oil filter for marine engines. That baby worked so well that oil virtually never darkened from its original hue. All that was needed to keep using the oil for many extra hours engine operation was to occassionally change the TP roll. Of course, if engine ran poorly such as water or fuel getting into the oil - all bets were off.

I worked in Ed's yards and my dad docked boats in both yards. We watched the evolution of Ed's uniquely efficient oil filter. For years in a row Ed and his partner (can't recall his name) had a well presented show spot in NY's Madison Square Garden's annual mega boat show. As I recall, unfortunately for Ed, the TP-Roll oil filter never took off in a big way. Ed was the type of hyper guy that basically never walked, but rather he ran everywhere from point to point in his boat yards. Last I heard in late 60's or early 70's was that Ed had suffered heart attack and slowed way down. Ed was a great guy!
Old 12-09-2015, 08:48 AM   #40
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. ma. It's my understanding the TP/Paper towel filters work as well BUT purely anecdotal information as I never took the time to look into them seriously. I'm not rushing off to buy such a device as our original install system works adequately.

Tags
algae-x, fuel, lg-x-400, polisher, polishing