Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 09:44 AM   #1
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
KVH Tracvision R5

This is an RV receiver, hence is a lower profile (12" tall x 33" dia, instead of 27" tall x 24" dia), so would fit on a roof space instead of up on a mast.* Othewise the same technology as the KVH marine units. Receives any of Direct TV, Dish Network or Bell ExpressVu.* Will be coming off the roof of the RV this March.* Can be shipped (33 lb).* Useless to me, (Canadian) as none of those networks are appropriate for a Canadian home base and southern US useage.* Won't work on Shaw Direct (which I now have). Any reasonable offer will be considered.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:01 AM   #2
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
RE: KVH Tracvision R5

I have always been curious about RV units for boats. Do they stabilize on all 3 axes? I was under the impression that they did not since they did not have to on an RV but that was just me guessing. Anyway, just curious!

Old 01-06-2012, 04:38 PM   #3
Guru

I never considered an RV unit as suitable for a boat, till I saw one in service on a 40 ft sportfisher that had lots of available roof. The owner is happy with the unit. I confess I never asked about 3 axes v 2.
KVH talks about tracking whilst driving down the road. In mountainous country, 3 axes would be required. On my boat, there is less pitching than on my Motorhome, if you compare hills to waves.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Keith,

What price is reasonable to you?* We are in Seattle using directv at the dock.* It would be nice to be able to watch the news at anchor.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:41 AM   #5
Guru

Thom

If you are interested, I will figure out how much work it is going to be to get it removed and the roof patched, then maybe stop by and meet you at your boat in Seattle as we are heading north in April. What do you think is reasonable for my time getting the thing off the roof and doing the patching?

Keith
Old 02-03-2012, 07:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Keith,
well, I've always valued my spare time higher than my work time so I probably can't afford it!!
That said, I'm definitely interested and would like to pursue this. Unfortunately I've been working is az. for the last year and a half and will be down here for another year or more while my wife keeps the boat floating at home, so unless you are heading North from Mexico we'll have to talk via the internet or phone.
There is no hurry on this from me so think about whether you even want to do it or not, figure out the work involved and keep in touch.

you can email me at thom permenter @ clear wire . net
Old 02-14-2012, 05:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

just letting you know I'm still interested

Closed Thread