Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Forum > Classifieds

Old 07-02-2015, 10:04 AM   #1
John Deere 6068 w. gear, low hours

John Deere 6068 w. gear, low hours
JD 6068 220 Hp engine with 5050 1.5/1 gear, heat exchanger cooled, including gear cooler. Purchased for a repower project that didnīt happen, from the JD shop that installed it new, maintained it, and removed for high HP repower for new owner. Was installed in a recreational style Chesapeake boat, and lived in a heated engine room. Engine shows no rust or corrosion. This is the legendary, bulletproof mechanical series engine, no computers, electronics or other troublesome gizmos. The 5050 gear has a down angle output.

Gauge panel, wiring harnesses, and some spares are included. Engine was operated approx 50 hours a year, and shows a total of 845 hours since new, verified with mechanic. I was told there is absolutely nothing wrong with the engine, but a new owner wanted 35+ knots so a new QSM was installed to acheive this.

As it happens, the reason I didnīt repower was the day I purchased this engine, the deal went thru on a troller with the exact same power. Having run it up from BC to Alaska, and fished Ak extensively, I can tell you this engine is a joy to live with. Very quiet compared to a Cummins 6B, zero smoke, smooth and powerful, sips fuel. (37 Albion with three tons of ice and fish, 5 knots, 2.5 liters per hour.) Perfect engine for displacement style boat repower, you won't find one in better condition. This is a sleeved style engine, easily rebuildable at low cost after long service. I know several trollers in Ketchikan who have over 25K hours on this engine with nothing but normal servicing.

If you're interested I suggest you jump quickly, I'm soon leaving for Alaska, if engine is not committed in the next few days a JD dealer wants it. I'd rather see it go to an end user. SERIOUSLY interested folks can reach me at three six 1 3 three two 1 nine SIX five.

Engine located in S. Tx. 9250.00 package price. I can ship or you can pick up. A deposit will hold it for a reasonable time.

skypoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 03:20 PM   #2
Sounds like a fabulous deal for someone who can use it. I wish I had a pair of these in my Californian. Won't happen though due to financial reality. As a Deere Engineering retiree I can say they produce a product to exceed any expectations.

Capn Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 04:27 PM   #3
skypoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 05:47 PM   #4
City: Hotel, CA
Smoking good deal for somebody. I'm shocked it took this long to sell.
Craig - AKA Some Clueless Idiot

The person who is saying something is impossible should not interrupt the person who is doing it.
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote