• Trawler Forum Classified Posting Guidelines
    • We expect ads placed to be related to the topic of this forum.
    • Ads that are inactive for 180 days or longer may be moved to the Classified Archive and locked. Ads may be relisted if the item is still current. Alternatively, owners may contact a Moderator to reinstate an archived ad.
    • The Classified section is for advertising, members are asked to refrain from posting discussions to a Classified Ad. Please start a discussion thread or PM the owner for discussions.
    • Do not hijack another member's ad by posting unsolicited commentary. Example: if a member has posted an ad offering an anchor for sale, don't add a post to his thread stating that you have an anchor you'd like to get rid of also. Posts deemed as unsolicited commentary may be removed.
    • For your own security, do NOT include your e-mail or phone number in your ad. Instead request that interested parties contact you via PM (private message) to provide owners contact info.
    • Brokers, Dealers, or those with a commercial interest in a sale are prohibited from posting in Classifieds.
    • Only Trawler Forum Commercial Members may post ads in the Commercial section. You must be a designated Commercial Member to start threads in this section of the forum. (Contact a moderator if you have questions about this)
    • Don't post links to commercial sites where you are also offering the boat, such as eBay, Craigslist or Yachtworld, etc. unless it contains a more in-depth description, additional information or pictures.
    • Place only one ad per item (you may repost only when your ad has expired and been removed).
    For Sale ads MUST include:
    • Asking price
    • Clear statement whether you are the owner or non-owner (posting for friend, relative, or acquaintance)
    • Don't forget to select: FOR SALE, WANTED or FREE in the Title block.
    All ads should also include ALL the following:
    • Pertinent maintenance and condition information
    • Exterior picture or pictures
    • Interior picture or pictures (boats)
    For maximum impact & exposure, it is suggested the Ad Title include: Year, Manufacturer, Model, Length, Price, and Location or at the very top of the ad body. When your item has sold or the ad is no longer relevant: Please post a Reply to the ad that the item is SOLD or click "Report Post" on post 1 of the thread to ask a moderator to archive the ad. Ads may be moved or removed by our staff at any time for any reason. All ads must comply with site rules. Thanks for your cooperation.
  • Avoid Scams.

Our classifieds are free and anyone registered here is welcome to post an ad.
    Be aware that there are unscrupulous folks out there. Avoid any interaction that seems odd to you or �feels� wrong. Inquiries from unknown buyers, buyers �agents� and other non-traditional approaches should be treated with extreme caution.

Beware of unsolicited contacts offering to put you in touch with someone else who is buying or selling via e-mail or text.

Do not post your e-mail address or phone number in a classifieds ad.

Hints that you may be dealing with a Scammer:
    • Seller or Buyer approaches you via a direct email or PM and then steers you to an off-site communication method (text or email).
    • No posts or very few forum posts.
    • Recent forum membership
    • Insists on conducting negotiations via email or text rather than PM
    • Requires payment via Bank Transfer, BitCoin/CryptoCurrency, WesternUnion or other unsecured method.
    • Buyer or Seller suggests Paypal "Friends and Family" payment. Paypal is a good way to arrange payment but an invoice for goods and services should be used rather than "Friends and Family". "Friends and Family" avoids fees BUT there is no recourse if the transaction runs aground. Friends and Family is for gifts only. There is no protection for Friends and Family transactions, so never ever use it to buy something.
    • Declines to allow viewing the item before proceeding with the transaction.

Wanted: Hatch Pulls wanted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Vessel Name
Bucky
Vessel Make
Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
I'm searching for a couple of matching hatch pulls for my Krogen Manatee. I've tried the usual makers but to no avail. Still searching marine used parts outfits. Size approx 3 3/4" X 2 3/4". Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• GEDC0021.jpg
    GEDC0021.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 86
  • GEDC0022.jpg
    GEDC0022.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 96
Thanks Al. I checked the Second Wave Marine link and sent shipwreck an e-mail with the description. Who knows, maybe.

Try McMaster Carr, search for "flush handles"

C letric: I really like the looks of those pulls, but they are chrome plated. They've got some other brass units too, but they tend to rattle when mounted over top an idling diesel. Thanks.

Wow...great feedback. Mike Barge, you nailed it. True, they are brass, but I can switch out the other set on the other veranda hatch so everything matches....maybe even brush the brass so it weathers a bit. Unfortunately, the page reads "out of stock". Well, at least they have a source.

Northern Spy (another Mike). I must have been on that site for over an hour and bought two other items.

Psn: That second one with the hatch lock is really worth thinking about. These days, Krogen is putting locks on the hatches. This is a new hatch that would be big enough for someone to crawl into, perhaps past the genset and main engine and get into the cabin. Hadn't thought about it, but maybe I should go with that design instead.

Great feedback. Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
You might try Perko to see if you can get unplated or unchromed. At some point in the mfgr, they are just raw brz.

Unless of course the others are deemed more suitable.

Larry, if that one I got you from Phoenix Lock won't work, you can return it.

C lectric is right about the Perko ones. At some point they are not plated and they are the right size. The problem is they make them in batches and it can be some time between runs.

If they would work, you could buy the chrome plated ones and have them unplated. I understand any plating shop can do that.

Larry, if that one I got you from Phoenix Lock won't work, you can return it.

The Phoenix units were just too deep to mount them flush. They were through the teak and almost through the top glass layer. Before I made the commitment to mount them, I set them on the hatch and started the engine, let it idle. They rattle pretty badly. I need to find the tight handles like the original units. Sometimes they are too tight, but no rattles anywhere.

I figured I had them too long to return them to Phoenix. I may be able to use them for something else as well. I like to keep hardware on hand.

Since there is only one other hatch in the veranda, I might consider replacing them all with brass. I've also refinished the teak deck and trim, so it might look pretty good. Additionally, the idea of using a locking hatch pull may be the perfect excuse for doing the same to both hatches. The new hatch looks so original that I thought it would deserved the original style pulls.

Attachments

• IMG_0047.jpg
    IMG_0047.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 98
I picked up a stainless shell latch that looks like what you have. It won't rattle as the handle is spring loaded to keep it down.
It will be a few days before I am home to check you the manufacturer is.

"I figured I had them too long to return them to Phoenix"
That's why you bought them from your friendly neighborhood marine store.
If you can't use them, return them. I'll take care of it.
You can buy me lunch as a thank you for such good service!

You can buy me lunch as a thank you for such good service!

I'm not sure that would be a good deal or not. I've already seen how much you can eat!

Healhustler,

Looking over some of your posts today to see what other Manatee projects you've documented I saw this image. Is this a photoshoped photo or did you add the 2nd hatch compartment? Was it a DIY job? It looks nice but I also thought about a way to lock it, I actually had a skinny friend who could gain access to my boat from the companionway hatches into the galley. Used to show up early for happy hour without me! I am curious about the thickness of the sole - both the plank and structure. Mine is varnished but I'm wondering about stripping it off and leaving it natural. The 2nd hatch sure would make access easier.

"I'm not sure that would be a good deal or not. I've already seen how much you can eat!"
Hey, I resemble that remark!

I've always been a little concerned about a non-locking cockpit hatch. If the boat gets pooped, you'd lose the hatch (and then your engine).

So make sure there is a catch on your hatch latch!

Last edited:
Last edited:
Brooksie, Seadog makes that latch in a larger size and out of stainless as well.
That latch was originally made by a company called ABI. ABI went out of business and Seadog knocked off the design. Seadog is making some interesting low priced hardware. I have the old ABI ones on my boat so I'm glad to see a replacement available.
Sea-Dog : Quality Marine, Industrial and Rigging Hardware

You're very welcome,

Decent price as well, can't be bad.

Dang, Robbie...that's an interesting website. They have a whole host of products different than what we have down here. It's interesting that they stock a specific size of Diamond Sea-Glaze windows. The only thing we've got working for us in Florida is Hopkins-Carter in Miami (of all places), and he always wants you to take him to lunch. I will admit, however, that he does deliver to hardship cases like myself and others here on the forum.

Still, I may add a locking latch. Thanks Robbie.

I recall, many years ago maybe 35, rowing out to my friend's 44' tugboat to get something for him. It looked a little low but I didn't think anything of it till I was alongside. The water was going in the scuppers, not out and when I stood and looked aboard, the deck hatch was floating and water pouring into the bilge space. not knowing exactly what to do, and without anything to do it with, I took my sweatshirt off, put it across the hatch opening, placed the floating hatch and jumped on it to jam it in. Then set off across the harbor to the marina for help. By the time they got there with a pump, the boat was on the bottom. That made an impression on me and I could see that there would have been time to save his boat if he had had flaps over his scuppers and his hatches hadn't floated off.

I have taken a wave over my transom which would have sunk my boat if my hatches had floated off.

Point well taken, Brooksie. You sold me. The new hatch is large and heavy. One of the Krogen reps was aboard the other day and after telling him the plan was to hinge the aft end so it would open away from the salon doors, he advised that Krogen was now hinging them to either side, so regardless, the hatch won't be floating away, but could pop open. A gas-assist cylinder wouldn't help the situation. The smaller lazerette hatch will also get the same treatment minus the gas-assist cylinder.

Hatches hinged on both sides?, so are you going to modify the hatches into 2 halves?, I can see the reasoning, in fact I'm amazed that this isn't the norm on all trawlers.
My boat is designed for rough water, so all the hatches are heavy aluminum diamond plate and firmly fastened down.

Last edited:
Point well taken, Brooksie. You sold me. The new hatch is large and heavy. One of the Krogen reps was aboard the other day and after telling him the plan was to hinge the aft end so it would open away from the salon doors, he advised that Krogen was now hinging them to either side, so regardless, the hatch won't be floating away, but could pop open. A gas-assist cylinder wouldn't help the situation. The smaller lazerette hatch will also get the same treatment minus the gas-assist cylinder.

Thanks. all, I too, have ordered two for replacements, one that is broken in my salon.

My lazerette hatch is as described above. :confused:I wondered why is was so heavy, and then with the gas-assist. It takes a lot of force to raise it enough, so that the gas assist takes over.

Every day I appreciate another design feature of the Kadey Krogen.
:dance:
Thanks, Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom