Old 10-16-2013, 07:51 AM   #21
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
I've always been a little concerned about a non-locking cockpit hatch. If the boat gets pooped, you'd lose the hatch (and then your engine).

So make sure there is a catch on your hatch latch!
Agree completely, wooden hatches especially, should dog down; they will float right off.
HATCH HANDLE/LATCH BRASS 3 1/8" X 2 11/16" 732007
wrong size but right type

Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:40 AM   #22
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Brooksie, Seadog makes that latch in a larger size and out of stainless as well.
That latch was originally made by a company called ABI. ABI went out of business and Seadog knocked off the design. Seadog is making some interesting low priced hardware. I have the old ABI ones on my boat so I'm glad to see a replacement available.
Sea-Dog : Quality Marine, Industrial and Rigging Hardware

HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:31 AM   #23

City: newfoundland
Vessel Name: E.E.S.
Vessel Model: 38' Northumberland
These look identical, right size too.
I use Mercer marine for lots of stuff.

https://www.mercersmarine.com/sagro/...il&product=892

Robbie.
robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:31 PM   #24
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie View Post
These look identical, right size too.
I use Mercer marine for lots of stuff.

https://www.mercersmarine.com/sagro/...il&product=892

Robbie.
Holy smokes! Their even bronze. Once tarnished, no one will ever see the difference. Still, I may add a locking latch. Thanks Robbie.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:07 PM   #25

You're very welcome,

Decent price as well, can't be bad.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:57 PM   #26
Guru

Dang, Robbie...that's an interesting website. They have a whole host of products different than what we have down here. It's interesting that they stock a specific size of Diamond Sea-Glaze windows. The only thing we've got working for us in Florida is Hopkins-Carter in Miami (of all places), and he always wants you to take him to lunch. I will admit, however, that he does deliver to hardship cases like myself and others here on the forum.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:30 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Still, I may add a locking latch. Thanks Robbie.
I recall, many years ago maybe 35, rowing out to my friend's 44' tugboat to get something for him. It looked a little low but I didn't think anything of it till I was alongside. The water was going in the scuppers, not out and when I stood and looked aboard, the deck hatch was floating and water pouring into the bilge space. not knowing exactly what to do, and without anything to do it with, I took my sweatshirt off, put it across the hatch opening, placed the floating hatch and jumped on it to jam it in. Then set off across the harbor to the marina for help. By the time they got there with a pump, the boat was on the bottom. That made an impression on me and I could see that there would have been time to save his boat if he had had flaps over his scuppers and his hatches hadn't floated off.

I have taken a wave over my transom which would have sunk my boat if my hatches had floated off.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:14 PM   #28
Guru

Point well taken, Brooksie. You sold me. The new hatch is large and heavy. One of the Krogen reps was aboard the other day and after telling him the plan was to hinge the aft end so it would open away from the salon doors, he advised that Krogen was now hinging them to either side, so regardless, the hatch won't be floating away, but could pop open. A gas-assist cylinder wouldn't help the situation. The smaller lazerette hatch will also get the same treatment minus the gas-assist cylinder.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:01 AM   #29

Hatches hinged on both sides?, so are you going to modify the hatches into 2 halves?, I can see the reasoning, in fact I'm amazed that this isn't the norm on all trawlers.
My boat is designed for rough water, so all the hatches are heavy aluminum diamond plate and firmly fastened down.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:26 AM   #30
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Point well taken, Brooksie. You sold me. The new hatch is large and heavy. One of the Krogen reps was aboard the other day and after telling him the plan was to hinge the aft end so it would open away from the salon doors, he advised that Krogen was now hinging them to either side, so regardless, the hatch won't be floating away, but could pop open. A gas-assist cylinder wouldn't help the situation. The smaller lazerette hatch will also get the same treatment minus the gas-assist cylinder.
Thanks. all, I too, have ordered two for replacements, one that is broken in my salon.

My lazerette hatch is as described above. I wondered why is was so heavy, and then with the gas-assist. It takes a lot of force to raise it enough, so that the gas assist takes over.

Every day I appreciate another design feature of the Kadey Krogen.

Thanks, Richard
Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:29 AM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie View Post
Hatches hinged on both sides?,
It's too late for that. You can see here in the photo where I was intending to hinge the new hatch. The Krogen Rep said on new boats, they are hinging these hatches on the side. I'm thinking about the plus and minus of each application. Since the genset will be mounted between the stringers and not athwartships, ease of access to both sides would be facilitated by hinging the rear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0047-a.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	23799  
Old 10-17-2013, 07:33 AM   #32
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
I'm searching for a couple of matching hatch pulls for my Krogen Manatee. I've tried the usual makers but to no avail. Still searching marine used parts outfits. Size approx 3 3/4" X 2 3/4". Thanks in advance for any help.
QQ... Are the ones pictured the ones you are replacing? What's wrong with them? When I refinished my salon floor, I took mine to my powder coating guy, not to be coated, but because he has a media blasting cabinet, and had him blast them clean. Then spent some quality time with a buffing wheel and compound. They now look as good as new.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:50 AM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
QQ... Are the ones pictured the ones you are replacing?
No no....just looking for two more like the ones on the rear hatch to put on the new larger hatch just forward of the old one. I ordered two from the outfit Robbie pointed out....very interesting supplier, but I'm liking the idea of a locking mechanism more and more. If I can't find a bronze one of similar style, I'll probably order the brass one from HopCar. Being hinged will keep the hatch from floating away, but Brooksie is right, it really does need to be locked down.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:24 AM   #34
Guru

Quote:
It's too late for that. You can see here in the photo where I was intending to hinge the new hatch. The Krogen Rep said on new boats, they are hinging these hatches on the side. I'm thinking about the plus and minus of each application. Since the genset will be mounted between the stringers and not athwartships, ease of access to both sides would be facilitated by hinging the rear.
If it can open sideways and lay back flat on the deck, then that would be my choice because then it would not be on top of the other hatch which you may want to open at the same time. Also, if your deck has much crown, you will have trouble hinging the crowned edge and you will never be able to put 3-4 hinges which you may need for a heavy hatch. Have you looked or flush hinges yet? I used these on my hatches inside my boat and they worked great. Made a template for the router because I had 8 to do. A rather unusual hinge to allow the hatch to lay back and still be flush when closed.

Card Table Hinges - Lee Valley Tools
Old 10-17-2013, 09:32 PM   #35
Guru

Hey Brooksie: Those are really nice hinges. The crown in the veranda deck is barely positive, so no problem with hinges. I was intending to use a brass piano hinge, chemically aged. The reinforcement for it was already planned into the hatch lid and frame, so no issue with strength, but those hinges are very attractive. Dang....everytime I decide something, someone else comes up with a good option.

Too bad about the perfect, bronze hatch pulls from Mercers in Canada though. They don't ship to the US. Duh!? Now I have to see if I can find out who the mfg. is.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:50 PM   #36
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Too bad about the perfect, bronze hatch pulls from Mercers in Canada though. They don't ship to the US. Duh!? Now I have to see if I can find out who the mfg. is.
I can order them and send them to you if you like.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:57 PM   #37
Guru

City: Sidney BC
Vessel Name: Rochepoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
"Too bad about the perfect, bronze hatch pulls from Mercers in Canada though. They don't ship to the US. Duh!? Now I have to see if I can find out who the mfg. is."

If you wish you could buy and have them shipped to me, then I would forward them to you.
If you are interested PM me, more than happy to help.

Looks like Northern Spy is faster on the keyboard..............but it shows you how friendly we are on the west coast.
"Yes, I have the right anchor"
rochepoint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:36 PM   #38
Guru

Thanks Mike and Mike. Since Mike (Northern Spy) and I already have an exchange going with radar and parts, I may as well go with him this time. Mike (NS), I may as well just drop ship them to you and when they get there, you can let me know what the charges are to send them here. Cheesh...why is everything got to be so involved. BTW, Mike, your plug and harness is in route USPS.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:40 PM   #39
Guru

City: Sidney BC
Vessel Name: Rochepoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Not a problem, hope they solve your hatch issues.
"Yes, I have the right anchor"
rochepoint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:42 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooksie View Post
If it can open sideways and lay back flat on the deck, then that would be my choice because then it would not be on top of the other hatch which you may want to open at the same time.
Yeah, trouble is that with the length of the hatch, it won't lay flat going sideways due to the engine intake box in the corner of the veranda. Also, I wouldn't be able to open one side of the salon doors, but if hinged to go back, it would be free of that. With the hatch all the way open...say with a gas assist cylinder holding it 90 degrees vertical, I'd be able to open the lazerette hatch AND still be able to stand on either side of the genset when installed. Sideways at 90, it would block the port salon door and impede my standing entry to the port side (albeit the non-service side) of the genset. This is my thinking.