• Trawler Forum Classified Posting Guidelines
    • We expect ads placed to be related to the topic of this forum.
    • Ads that are inactive for 180 days or longer may be moved to the Classified Archive and locked. Ads may be relisted if the item is still current. Alternatively, owners may contact a Moderator to reinstate an archived ad.
    • The Classified section is for advertising, members are asked to refrain from posting discussions to a Classified Ad. Please start a discussion thread or PM the owner for discussions.
    • Do not hijack another member's ad by posting unsolicited commentary. Example: if a member has posted an ad offering an anchor for sale, don't add a post to his thread stating that you have an anchor you'd like to get rid of also. Posts deemed as unsolicited commentary may be removed.
    • For your own security, do NOT include your e-mail or phone number in your ad. Instead request that interested parties contact you via PM (private message) to provide owners contact info.
    • Brokers, Dealers, or those with a commercial interest in a sale are prohibited from posting in Classifieds.
    • Only Trawler Forum Commercial Members may post ads in the Commercial section. You must be a designated Commercial Member to start threads in this section of the forum. (Contact a moderator if you have questions about this)
    • Don't post links to commercial sites where you are also offering the boat, such as eBay, Craigslist or Yachtworld, etc. unless it contains a more in-depth description, additional information or pictures.
    • Place only one ad per item (you may repost only when your ad has expired and been removed).
    For Sale ads MUST include:
    • Asking price
    • Clear statement whether you are the owner or non-owner (posting for friend, relative, or acquaintance)
    • Don't forget to select: FOR SALE, WANTED or FREE in the Title block.
    All ads should also include ALL the following:
    • Pertinent maintenance and condition information
    • Exterior picture or pictures
    • Interior picture or pictures (boats)
    For maximum impact & exposure, it is suggested the Ad Title include: Year, Manufacturer, Model, Length, Price, and Location or at the very top of the ad body. When your item has sold or the ad is no longer relevant: Please post a Reply to the ad that the item is SOLD or click "Report Post" on post 1 of the thread to ask a moderator to archive the ad. Ads may be moved or removed by our staff at any time for any reason. All ads must comply with site rules. Thanks for your cooperation.
  • Avoid Scams.

Our classifieds are free and anyone registered here is welcome to post an ad.
    Be aware that there are unscrupulous folks out there. Avoid any interaction that seems odd to you or �feels� wrong. Inquiries from unknown buyers, buyers �agents� and other non-traditional approaches should be treated with extreme caution.

Beware of unsolicited contacts offering to put you in touch with someone else who is buying or selling via e-mail or text.

Do not post your e-mail address or phone number in a classifieds ad.

Hints that you may be dealing with a Scammer:
    • Seller or Buyer approaches you via a direct email or PM and then steers you to an off-site communication method (text or email).
    • No posts or very few forum posts.
    • Recent forum membership
    • Insists on conducting negotiations via email or text rather than PM
    • Requires payment via Bank Transfer, BitCoin/CryptoCurrency, WesternUnion or other unsecured method.
    • Buyer or Seller suggests Paypal "Friends and Family" payment. Paypal is a good way to arrange payment but an invoice for goods and services should be used rather than "Friends and Family". "Friends and Family" avoids fees BUT there is no recourse if the transaction runs aground. Friends and Family is for gifts only. There is no protection for Friends and Family transactions, so never ever use it to buy something.
    • Declines to allow viewing the item before proceeding with the transaction.

For Sale: Great value I saw for sale...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyWright

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
FlyWright
Vessel Make
1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Here's a thread to post great finds that you've stumbled upon around the marina. Often we see boats for sale that we're not going to buy ourselves but would love to see others purchase and enjoy.

Here's a boat on the West Coast that I looked at with a dock neighbor who was interested in buying. He backed out citing a lack of funds and the boat remains on the market.

I have no financial interest in the boat but I was impressed with the features and value at about $50K for a 38 footer. If I was in the market to upgrade, this would be high on my list. I hope someone here snatches this boat up before it's gone.

1982 Californian Sedan Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

6218490_20171118093548207_1_XLARGE.jpg

Let's see some other great buys sitting out there waiting for the right buyer.

Last edited:
You mean you want us to reveal our secrets?:nonono::nonono::nonono:

Wifey B: Don't reveal the one you're interested in...well, unless you want someone else to snatch it up, which I've seen done. :nonono: But if you see one that you're not wishing to buy then share it. :)

I believe someone just (before Xmas) got a SUPER deal on a GB32 in my neck of the woods. Alas, it wasn’t me. If it was anyone on here, I’d love to hear how you make out with it.

Saw this in the paper last week. Broker does not have it on their website for some reason, so not sure if it is really for sale. Love to take a look at it though!

Attachments

• Feadship.jpg
    Feadship.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 207
Here's a thread to post great finds that you've stumbled upon around the marina. Often we see boats for sale that we're not going to buy ourselves but would love to see others purchase and enjoy.

Here's a boat on the West Coast that I looked at with a dock neighbor who was interested in buying. He backed out citing a lack of funds and the boat remains on the market.

I have no financial interest in the boat but I was impressed with the features and value at about $50K for a 38 footer. If I was in the market to upgrade, this would be high on my list.

I hope someone here snatches this boat up before it's gone.

I think you got your wish Al. The listing currently says sold on YW.

But.....good eye for sure. That seems like a whole lot of boat for that money and apparently in real great shape. Much better than the 42 I looked at up here and better gear. A home run in fun per dollar it would seem.

Nice set of engines. I have had those dry sleeve 3208 NAs go over 25K on dry land and still run a couple in a 930 loader and a 613 scraper.

I am guessing the seller is either a farmer like me or a UT alum!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, I agree that MV Shilo is a great looking boat Brian. I've been lusting after her since the mid 70s when she was moored in Middle Harbour.

I had a look aboard her in the mid nineties just before after she had her concrete ballast jackhammered out, just another of her many refits.

I think during one of her more recent makeovers she received a dark blue hull paint job (which IMHO doesn't suit), but she's certainly more affordable for the high-end dreamer these days.

Here's a thread to post great finds that you've stumbled upon around the marina....

1982 Californian Sedan Trawler Power Boat For Sale - Boats for Sale - New and Used Boats and Yachts - YachtWorld.com

Very nice looking boat from the photos. However, personally I couldn't have a vessel with those sole-buried engines with a meter of headroom. Seems like it would be physically impossible to even reach and service the outboard sides, at least not for a big-sized guy.

Back in my 20's I had a boat with about 5ft engine headroom, which was barely acceptable while stooping over.

For those of you now in your later years, how do you maintain a boat with sole-buried engines? Is it more about hiring out to a mechanic for maintenance?

Attachments

• 6218490_20170427154239475_1_XLARGE.jpg
    6218490_20170427154239475_1_XLARGE.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 152
Mako
You lift the hatches. I've had several vessels in that size range where that worked just fine.

Makes sense. I've never owned a boat like that. They were either much smaller or much bigger. So every time you want to check the oil, flip a battery switch or give a quick visual you have to move furniture and lift your floorboards?

Seems like it would work for a vessel used occasionally, but for long distance cruisers I can see how that would get tiresome.

Yep

Very nice looking boat from the photos. However, personally I couldn't have a vessel with those sole-buried engines with a meter of headroom. Seems like it would be physically impossible to even reach and service the outboard sides, at least not for a big-sized guy.

Back in my 20's I had a boat with about 5ft engine headroom, which was barely acceptable while stooping over.

For those of you now in your later years, how do you maintain a boat with sole-buried engines? Is it more about hiring out to a mechanic for maintenance?
Hire a midget

Makes sense. I've never owned a boat like that. They were either much smaller or much bigger. So every time you want to check the oil, flip a battery switch or give a quick visual you have to move furniture and lift your floorboards?

Seems like it would work for a vessel used occasionally, but for long distance cruisers I can see how that would get tiresome.

You learn not to put furniture over the hatches. Can also have hydraulic hatches.

I have the smaller 34 Californian with floor boards, a fwd door and an aft lazarette entrance. This 38's ER is laid out the same but is much taller and wider than the 34. I'd estimate that it's almost as tall as a 42 Grand Banks ER. Enough room to sit up straight but not stand.

Besides having ER monitor cameras, I normally use the fwd door to keep an eye on things and sample fluid levels. It's an easy crawl on the foam padded center aisle and the engine sides are easily accessed by moving across the front of the engine to the outer sections.

I'm 5' 10", 190 lbs and age 60. I have no issues accessing the ER. I call it "yacht yoga".

for me, the secret is 1) having a helper to hand me stuff and 2) knee pads 3) readers and 4) flashlights. The more "experienced" I get, the more pairs of knee pads I have. Leave them all over the place. Same with flashlights and glasses. I've found its not so much the service that is tough, its seeing what the heck I"m working on once I"m wedged in place.

I have not been aboard the smaller Californians, so this may not apply.
When I was shopping, I had a thorough look at a Cal 42. Its ER looked just like your photo, with access from behind the steps down heading fwd. No chance of getting to the outsides of either engine from in between, so a slim guy would need to go around the front or around the back, depending what else was located in the way. That boat had fixed carpeting above, so no hatch access.
Likely due to the impossible access, that ~20 yr old boat had almost nothing else in the ER.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom