Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Forum > Classifieds

Closed Thread
Old 02-15-2013, 12:29 PM   #21
I can understand how reluctant an insurance co would be on a wooden boat .

I see the problem as a lack of skills and expertise.

A piling bangs a 2ft square hole in a GRP cookie and the hardest part is getting to the repair area , the fix is easy.

A 2 ft hole in a wooden boat would be a bunch of long planks , a far larger repair, requiring materials , tools and skills hardly at the local yard.

With the price of the boat 5% or 10% of a new GB , I would assume thew new owners would be live a boards (to easily take care of the boat) that would purchase liability insurance , and simply self insure for any future self inflicted crash damage.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:59 AM   #22
Try Heritage. They insure a lot of classic wooden boats. So, I ca't see why they wouldn't insure yours. Heritage Marine Insurance

Old 02-16-2013, 07:51 AM   #23

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Originally Posted by OFB View Post
If the FRP is laid over the wood like paint a thin skim coat, the end results will probably be poor over the long haul.

If the FRP was laid over the wood to increase the vessel strength making it more "stiff" the results can be long lasting.

Lots of variables to the above statements cause there realy is no black or white answer.

My take from what I have seen here in the PNW over the years.

I prefer to just maintain original.

You do not have to pull fasteners to check integrity. You go down into the bilge with a hammer and tap ( or hit ) the frames on there sides. The sound or lack of is a very easy tell tale as to there condition. Fasteners ready to part will part.

Tap and drill , what comes out with the drill bit is what it is. Then inject the hole with thickened epoxy for repair of drilled hole.

I find it sad that insurance brokers are tasked with the valuation of hard working folks property based on what seems to be inernet hearsay in many many cases. Instead of the actual vessel condition.

My 2 cents
Pulling fasteners isn't just Internet hearsay, nor is it voodoo magic- and tapping on a wood hull can't tell you the whole story. Silica bronze turns pink as a byproduct of continuous water immersion in the plank- a 4" long fastener that is showing pink along half it's length is indicative of that plank being saturated. (As learned from Lynne Reister of Lodestar Marine- she teaches wood boat surveying and is recognized as a subject matter expert on wood boats.)

Wood boats are insurable- but there are few skilled craftsmen to repair damages, and the salvage value is minuscule when compared to a glass boat. So, underwriting is much more cautious when approving that type of risk.
Peter- Marine Insurance Guru & tuna fishing addict!

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Old 02-20-2013, 03:15 PM   #24
City: Richmond bc
Vessel Name: Invader no1
Vessel Model: Kishi Boat works
Peter- Marine Insurance Guru & tuna fishing addict!

Peter you kinda twisted my words around.

I suggested a different, a valid or additional way to "check" fasteners no where did I suggest pulling fasteners was "internet hearsay".

When checking a wood boat I suggested a hammer , tapping and a drill ! Just how do you believe a surveryor can determin the what and where to check a wood boat if signs of distress are hidden.

My old wood boat hull is not fastened from the outside. It would be sad to watch a recognized surveyor destroy a boat looking for fasteners to pull when there are non.

My internet hearsay remark is directed to the insurance brokers that would make a remark to a guy that walk's into his office looking at insuring an old wood boat.

To be told

The boat has FRP over the wood and could not be insurable as the fasteners can not be inspected. Even if the boat is currently insured under a current survey.

Thats is sad.

There is no black and white answer when it comes to condition of boats, it comes down to each individual vessel. Be that wood FRP metal or rock !

Again my 2 cents
Old 02-20-2013, 04:34 PM   #25
City: Salvador - BA
Vessel Name: Rainha Jannota
Vessel Model: Curruira 46
Send a message via MSN to Portuguese

I am building my 3rd wood/epoxy boat from scratch and I can tell you:
There is no way to encapsulate wood properly with long lasting adherence, with any other resin, but epoxy. Yet, we need to choose the different epoxy resins applicable to different purposes. To impregnate it is used one type different from the one that glues wood or any other material

If we encapsulate wood with polyester resin and FG, for example, assuming the job was well done, the water will not get in easily, but, the FG will not be glued to the wood at all because there's no adherence between both materials. In time, the wood will shrink a little bit and it will be loosed trapped inside of the encapsulation

Jim Smith and all the other fishing machines are wood epoxy at its best.
In the early 90’s, I rebuilt an American traditional Sportfishing machine in FG, built originaly in the early 70's. The project was to strip out all the wood structure pieces and replace them by PVC foam/FG beams. The story is that all wood beams were loosed inside of their FG “boxes”.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:20 AM   #26
The boat is probably sold , two buyers , but no bidding war yet.

Closed Thread