Old 08-31-2016, 01:06 PM   #1

City: Norristown
Vessel Model: Albin 25 & '61 Boston Whaler
Good Windlass For Sale

I have a Good Automatic Windlass for sale.

I bought it for my Albin 25 but it's too big. This unit is for a boat 32' to 42' and uses a 5/8" rope anchor rode (not included). Included is a 30" Anchor Roller Assembly. The roller assembly new sells for $380. The forward wheel is frozen and does not spin and the unit is slightly twisted but does not effect performance (according to the previous owner).

The unit is a free-drop unit and sells new for $1725.

My mistake could be your good fortune. I paid $300 for it and would like to get as close to that as possible but, I am very flexible.

What makes the Good Windlass so attractive is that it's the only windlass that does not require that you tie off the anchor line once the anchor is set. That translates into dropping and retrieving your anchor without leaving the helm.

If you're interested, here's some thoughts to consider...
1. You could install it as is and get whatever life is left in her. Or,
2. You could send it to the factory and have them refurbish it saving about half the cost of a new one. Or,
3. You could trade it in on a new or factory refurbished unit and save about $500 over buying one directly.

If interested, shoot me a PM. Did I mention I am very flexible?

Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-08-31 12.02.26.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	55812  

stxray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 06:40 AM   #2

As requested, here's some additional photo's..

Name:	2016-08-31 12.03.58.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	56652

Name:	2016-08-31 12.04.45.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	56653

Name:	2016-08-31 12.04.21.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	56654

Name:	2016-08-31 12.03.24.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	56655

Old 09-24-2016, 10:11 AM   #3
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
"that does not require that you tie off the anchor line once the anchor is set." Not sure I buy that. I have one that Good refurbed a couple of years ago. Won't do it with more than a little current/wind or backing down more than a little to set the anchor..

Having said that, I think they're good (no pun intended) rec boat units, at least where I operate. Good factory support is excellent.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 07:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbu22 View Post
"that does not require that you tie off the anchor line once the anchor is set." Not sure I buy that. I have one that Good refurbed a couple of years ago. Won't do it with more than a little current/wind or backing down more than a little to set the anchor..

Having said that, I think they're good (no pun intended) rec boat units, at least where I operate. Good factory support is excellent.
Thanks for the feedback. As I have yet to install and use a Good Windlass, I'm going by what I've been told so, I do appreciate real user experience.

Did you experience the slipping after the refurb or did it come on with time? In speaking with the factory my understanding is that slipping could indicate the unit needs servicing and/or that the rode is worn; an issue given that it is an all rope (not chain) rode.

Again, thanks for the feedback and I'll be sure to post a comment (good or bad) after my installation when I have some personal experience.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:22 AM   #5
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Had a Good on a SeaRay a few years ago. Nice unit. Once the anchor was set we did tie off the rope to a cleat. Great customer service as voiced.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:57 AM   #6
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
Mine slipped after the refurbed unit was installed with new (purchased from Good) rope rode. I think it's the nature of the beast due to its inherent design. Not particularly a problem, but I just assume that I will have to dog off the running rode end at anchor.

My boat is a '76 - I'm trying to keep as much original equipment operational as I can. Just cause .....

sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote