Old 02-01-2015, 09:02 AM   #1

City: Denver, CO
Vessel Name: 2thDoc
Vessel Model: 1986 Carver 3607 ACMY
GenSet

Need a take out or rebuilt gas genset to replace and fit footprint of dead Onan 6.5K CCK (1986 vintage in a 3607 Carver). Looking for a priced right need to move it deal, running well & reliable, parts still available. Prefer location in N. FL or panhandle vicinity. Thanks, Rick

racerrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:17 AM   #2
FF
Guru

I have a Onan Power Draw that was used in GMC motorhomes.

Compact and quiet , but a different mount from the old CCK.

Why not rebuild the CCK ?, they run almost forever loudly.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 08:21 AM   #3

City: Denver, CO
Vessel Name: 2thDoc
Vessel Model: 1986 Carver 3607 ACMY
Unsure if a motorhome genset will "bolt in" a marine application. I & my "boat guy" who is helping refurbish the Carver, is really good & I trust him, have looked extensively for parts. We can find replacement heads and a few ancillary bits but not major stuff like manifolds and that is what we believe is the problem. The rear head overheats and shuts the motor off. We've cleaned out passages as best possible w/out disassembly and am reluctant to start unbolting old rusted stuff we can't replace if something breaks. Got it to run 2 hrs, next time only ran 1/2 hr., and last trip it wouldn't start (again). I'm about done w. it. Don't use the gen much as we usually cruise marinas and in 4 years haven't anchored the boat out. I'll check w/ Tom and see what he thinks. Where & price? I'm in the panhandle, Niceville, FL across the bay from Destin. Rick
racerrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:19 PM   #4

City: Anchor Pointe, Ohio
Vessel Name: Sea Moose
Vessel Model: 1976 34' D/C Taiwanese Trawler
Curious as to what you find, as I have found very few deals on used gensets in the 3.5-5kw range. Been looking for such a deal on a diesel one for a looooong time.
SeaMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:49 PM   #5
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
A good used genset would seldom if ever be removed from an operating vessel IMHO. Unless you are able to find a gas to diesel swap out. FF may well have it right, motorhome chasing.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 05:58 AM   #6
FF
Guru

Wirh almost no need for a noisemaker a brand new Honda , set up to plug into the boat would seem the answer.

Will start an air cond or recharge the batts , and can be kept for home power out use too.

Cheap, modern and QUIET!

Light weight and No installation time.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 06:49 PM   #7

City: Whitehall Mi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerrick View Post
Need a take out or rebuilt gas genset to replace and fit footprint of dead Onan 6.5K CCK (1986 vintage in a 3607 Carver). Looking for a priced right need to move it deal, running well & reliable, parts still available. Prefer location in N. FL or panhandle vicinity. Thanks, Rick
I am confused about your reference to an Onan CCK. I have a 4CCK and it is a flat head, 2cylinder, air cooled engine. I would think that it would be unsuitable for marine use. Like all flathead engines, it ran hot and used a lot of gasoline. I stopped using it because the oil pressure switch would trip as soon the oil warmed. I tried thicker oil but then I could not start it in the winter. It needed a rebuild but the parts were either not available or too expensive. It is an old machine and it belongs in a museum, not a boat.

Dan Girvan
Gypsy Spirit
Albin 36

Gypsy Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote