Old 08-05-2012, 10:30 PM   #1
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse
Fully Restored 1983 Monk 36

Our 1983 Monk 36 is back on the market.

Over 100 pictures online with full specs here but read on for a mildly detailed description of the work we have done:
Trawler Living Light on Yachtworld

Price: Just reduced to $79,900

We have poured an absurd amount of time, effort, money, love, care, money, sweat, and money (...did I mention money?) into "Living Light." She is hull #30 of the Monk 36 lineage. She was first commissioned in Newport Beach, CA (San Diego) area. She lived there until circa 1997 when she was relocated to Atlanta, GA and placed on Lake Lanier due to her owner relocating there. He was the 2nd owner, I am the 3rd. She lived on Lake Lanier under a cover roof slip with very light use in a 100% freshwater environment. She has not seen salt since leaving California in 1997 and any traces of salt use have long since been removed. We bought her on Lake Lanier and moved her to the Tennessee River about a month or so after that which was 2 years ago where she currently resides in Chattanooga under a covered slip.

Her refit over the last 2 years has been exhaustive and comprehensive. In fact, too comprehensive to list here but I have a 3 page list summarizing everything we have done. Some of the main highlights include the professional recoring of the foredeck and aft bridge deck (utilizing synthetic coring that will never rot or absorb water), painting entire topsides (decks, superstructure, flybridge, etc. basically everything from the handrails in) and transom, new layout for galley and new granite countertops and fixtures/appliances, converted forward stateroom from single double berth to port to bunk V-berths, lots of new electrical including internal wiring and converting from single 30 amp shore power to single 125/250 amp shore power, fixing engine fuel line leaks, pressure testing fuel tanks, new Marine Elegance freshwater flush head in aft head (regular electric in forward head) and much more. Immediately prior to our purchase, the previous owner had done the following: dripless shaft seal (bilge stays 100% dry!), exhaust system rebuilt, 2 new HVAC units with digital controls, rebuilt entire exhaust system, new poly water tanks (about 200 gallons), new holding tank (40 gallons), and more.

This vessel has had every system gone through from top to bottom and anything found questionable or lacking or problematic has been addressed and replaced.

We had her basically sold earlier this spring and the weekend everything was to happen a tornado as many of you here know, hit our marina. Living Light sustained some cosmetic damage that we have spent this summer repairing. Biggest issue was that her teak hand rails got beat up pretty good. So we removed all of those and replaced with custom fabricated 1.25" diameter stainless steel (not lesser quality 7/8" or 1" diameter material) and they look absolutely great and you would think they were installed at the factory. We also removed her built in double helm bench seat as it got banged up and it never really fit right in our opinion (didn't align with the helm real good and made flybridge feel smallish) so we removed it to open up the helm and entire flybridge which we have really enjoyed (tons more space).

1,900 hours on her single 135hp Perkins 6.354 diesel. 350 hours on her newer (not sure exact year but not original to boat) 8KW Northern Lights generator with sound shield. In over 200 hours use on the main engine and probably around 100 on the generator, I have literally never had to change a single fuel filter ever on this vessel so that should give you a good idea as to whether we have tank/fuel issues.

I would cruise this trawler anywhere a trawler of her class can go and after all we have done to her, have absolute faith in her in every regard.

All records are open book to buyer. If you are looking for a classic single screw trawler that has enjoyed loving and lavish ownership with no expense spared that is ready to cruise...here's your boat.

Contact me if interested. I really would like her to go to a good home. I own a yacht brokerage firm but this is our personal boat that my wife and I personally own and restored and only reason we are selling is due to buying our 45' pilothouse. I've been on a lot of older boats and a lot of older trawlers and this one will be found to be top notch by the most discriminating buyer. :cowboy:

A few pictures for TF but click on the link at the beginning of this post to see her in further detail.

Living the GOOD LIFE!
Old 08-06-2012, 11:13 PM   #2
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
She sure is a nice boat.Good luck with the sale.

What a pain in the transom.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:48 AM   #3
Guru

Thanks Ben!
Old 08-13-2012, 01:09 PM   #4
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsong View Post
Thanks Ben!
You're welcome.

What a pain in the transom.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:11 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Model: Silverton 38c
Looks fantastic! Love that last photo. yum.
San Francisco Bay Area
Old 08-13-2012, 11:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

City: PNW
Vessel Name: M/T Nest
Vessel Model: 1984 Monk 36 #31
I have #31 and would love for mine to look as good!
Great job and good luck on the sale.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:04 PM   #7
Guru

MT Nest-
Very cool you have hull #31. We are hull #30!

Price just reduced today to $89,900. Ready to get her sold. She is literally in my way. I have both my boats in a large covered slip and have to move the Monk to take our 45 out so time to sell her.

Considering how much work and money has gone into our Monk this is a ridiculous price but that's ok- whoever buys her will be getting a heck of a deal on a super great boat in top notch condition. Her biggest "negative" is lack of electronics but then again, that is a positive as well as you are not dealing with antique electronics that don't work and require a bunch of holes to be covered up at the helm stations.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:51 AM   #8
Guru

Price reduced to only $85k!!! Kinda makes me wonder why I put so much time, money, and love into her at this point haha! Oh well- someone will get a nice trawler with lots of love in her.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:59 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Model: Silverton 38c
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsong
Price reduced to only $85k!!! Kinda makes me wonder why I put so much time, money, and love into her at this point haha! Oh well- someone will get a nice trawler with lots of love in her.
Hopefully you loved every minute of it!! Beautiful boat, someone will be very lucky to have her.
San Francisco Bay Area
Old 10-29-2012, 11:20 PM   #10
Guru

Price just reduced to only $79,900!! What a steal! Good thing I didn't know I'd sell for so little as I put so much time, money, and effort into her! Oh well. A labor of love...what else can be said?
Old 10-30-2012, 09:31 AM   #11

City: St. Catharines
Vessel Name: Delia Rosa
Vessel Model: C & L Sea Ranger 47 Raised Pilothouse
It is always sad to sell a boat that you have loved. When we sold our sailboat, we only got back about 30% of our investment in her... However, over the years that we had her, we got many times over 100% back in the joy we felt sailing her.

I think you will feel the same way about your wonderful trawler "Living Light" when she is finally sold!
Old 10-30-2012, 05:17 PM   #12
Guru

If I transported her to the coast she would have already been sold. I've toyed with taking her down to our family's place on treasure island FL and I've toyed with just hauling her back to atlanta to keep her on the inland lake just a few minutes from our house but both sound like too much work.

Someone will get a special trawler and I'm good with that. Hopefully they will travel far and happily with her.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:21 PM   #13

City: St. Catharines
Vessel Name: Delia Rosa
Vessel Model: C & L Sea Ranger 47 Raised Pilothouse
I wish I knew someone looking for a trawler like yours, 'cause I do know what a great deal she is!

I have a question though... when you mention being able to sell her more easily on the coast - and you mention Florida - I thought that there were so many boats available in Florida that some have said that boats are 'a dime a dozen'...
Old 12-13-2012, 10:57 PM   #14
Guru

Susan,
yes boats are a dime a dozen so to speak in FL however, fully restored, excellent running condition, well taken care of boats are not a dime a dozen in FL. There is a larger buyer population there as well- not as many trawler folk on the TN River. She is thus still available.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:10 PM   #15
Veteran Member

City: Dammam
I am not in a position to buy a boat right now. I have been dreaming and lurking on these boards for a year or so. Whenever I look for the "just right" boat, my search again and again returns to the Living Light.

The right age, size and even price. But then there is the whole "I live in Saudi Arabia" problem.

In any case, I wanted to compliment the OP on a fine boat and wish him the best of luck in selling it. (To someone else!)

Great name, by the way.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:46 PM   #16

City: Monterey, CA
Vessel Name: Mahalo
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Woodsong, I'm curious about the granite countertops. You have a reach in storage bin, kindly referred to as the "hole" on my boat. How do you cover that? Is there a granite piece for that or is it always open?
Old 01-26-2013, 06:40 AM   #17
Guru

City: somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsong View Post
If I transported her to the coast she would have already been sold. I've toyed with taking her down to our family's place on treasure island FL and I've toyed with just hauling her back to atlanta to keep her on the inland lake just a few minutes from our house but both sound like too much work.

Someone will get a special trawler and I'm good with that. Hopefully they will travel far and happily with her.
By keeping her on a landlocked lake you have removed at least 75% of your potential market.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:35 AM   #18
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum29 View Post
By keeping her on a landlocked lake you have removed at least 75% of your potential market.
The boat is not on a landlocked lake. I sold a trawler here that went to Saugatuck Michigan on her on bottom. We get many Loopers here every fall.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Old 01-27-2013, 08:36 AM   #19
Guru

City: somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
The boat is not on a landlocked lake. I sold a trawler here that went to Saugatuck Michigan on her on bottom. We get many Loopers here every fall.
I guess that assuming only makes an a** out of me...

Old 01-27-2013, 10:07 AM   #20
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum29 View Post
I guess that assuming only makes an a** out of me...

Not at all. In fact, I think that you were trying to help. Just thought I would clear it up. Hell, I've assumed wrongly many times. No harm done.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/