Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 08:20 AM   #1
Guru

Fales round stern trawler

Not mine and no affiliation but there seems to be a certain fondness here for these so I thought I'd pass it along.

32FT/FALES-TRAWLER-SEEKER

Old 12-03-2012, 11:39 AM   #2
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Mr Fales got a Willard mould and made a number of boats in the original 30' length and others in a lengthened 32' version. And a few days ago I saw a 38' Fales here on this forum and it may/seems to be a long extension of the 30' boat.

If anyone is really interested in this boat they should PM me and get on the phone. And for other reasons perhaps. But as you've noticed the Willard is an unusual boat so those of us that own them may have enlightening things to pass on to others. Every boat has unusual features. This one sure looks nice though and may be as good as it looks.

North Western Washington State USA
Old 01-19-2013, 10:19 PM   #3
Guru

City: coos bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiisted71 View Post
Not mine and no affiliation but there seems to be a certain fondness here for these so I thought I'd pass it along.

32FT/FALES-TRAWLER-SEEKER
is that built on a willard hull?
Old 01-19-2013, 10:39 PM   #4
Guru

Read Eric's description.....kinda

Eric is the rail cap the only exterior wood on these boats? If so I like'em even more!
Old 01-19-2013, 11:28 PM   #5
Guru

Looks to be in average condition w the original engine. With older boats I always advise my friends to seek out repowered boats. The Cap Rail is the biggest hunk of wood on the outside but there is much wood on the inside and this owner has spent little time preparing it for sale. No long list of equipment, features or up-grades made. I don't know the quality of the Fales hull but this one is the 32' version and other than moorage costs the extra 2' isa plus. The Perkins 108 engine is the one w/o the wet sleeve feature and a plus as the 107s tend to leak when they get old. Mine did. The first thing I'd check on this boat.

I prefer the Willard Voyager and Nomad cabin to this Seeker and the engine may be far fwd or even further fwd since it's a stretched hull. The ballance of the boat may be affected. Don't know about the Fales ballast but a number of Willards have had VERY serious problems w same ... mine for example. Some on the Willard web site consider the Fales to be a poor mans Willard but Mr Fales didn't honor his obligation to Willard as agreed on so he's looked on as a bit of an outlaw among Willardites. But for all I know the boat could be better than a Willard. Wouldn't bet a lot of money on that but If you're actually interested I'd start on the Willard Boat Owners Yahoo Group Site. Read what's there and judge for yourself. For $5000 more I'd sell you my Willard and It's got LOTS of new equipment ... but dosn't look any better that this Fales .. probably a tad worse.

If you start moving toward this boat keep in touch.

Old 02-04-2013, 03:04 PM   #6
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
The link is dead now.

The cofounder of this site(Doug) had a Fales 30. I have spent a lot of time on that boat. It was built like a tank with no blister issues and it was a 1973 model. He did a lot of restoration and recently sold it. As long as the boat checks out to your standard, there is nothing inherently wrong with them. And like Eric said, Some/many Willard owners will turn their noses up at them since Fales was somewhat of a bootleg Willard. But that does not make it a bad boat.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:34 PM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
The link is dead now.

The cofounder of this site(Doug) had a Fales 30. I have spent a lot of time on that boat. It was built like a tank with no blister issues and it was a 1973 model. He did a lot of restoration and recently sold it. As long as the boat checks out to your standard, there is nothing inherently wrong with them. And like Eric said, Some/many Willard owners will turn their noses up at them since Fales was somewhat of a bootleg Willard. But that does not make it a bad boat.
thank you for sharing your experiance with us. I think these hulls were home grown as well. right?
Old 02-05-2013, 03:56 PM   #8
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post

thank you for sharing your experiance with us. I think these hulls were home grown as well. right?
I don't know what you mean by "home grown". The story as I understand it, and this is totally hearsay, is that Fales was contracted by Willard to make Willards on the East Coast. He then started to make unauthorized modifications to the design. Obviously, the folks at Willard did not like this and Fales was not cooperating so Willard fired Fales. And Fales made off with the molds. I have no clue how true this is or if there was ever any legal battles over it...just what I heard.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:04 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
I don't know what you mean by "home grown". The story as I understand it, and this is totally hearsay, is that Fales was contracted by Willard to make Willards on the East Coast. He then started to make unauthorized modifications to the design. Obviously, the folks at Willard did not like this and Fales was not cooperating so Willard fired Fales. And Fales made off with the molds. I have no clue how true this is or if there was ever any legal battles over it...just what I heard.
by home grown i meant made in north America. Lots of things like this go on in industry
Old 02-06-2013, 12:12 AM   #10
Guru

City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
Hello All,

I am the owner 'Boomarang', Doug's old Fales 30. As John Baker mentioned, Willard and Fales split and, according to comments published by the Willard company, they chose not to pursue Fales. Everything I have read about the Fales indicates that the build was as good as Willard. Some have even said they were better, but I'm sure they were Fales owners. They only made a few 30' models, some of which were configured as the Fales 30 Caribe. This was basically a Vega Horizon 30 with a flybridge and a short rig for a steadying sail. I heard that they ended up in charter service somewhere in the Caribbean. I think the subsequent boats were mostly the 32' Navigator model and the 8 Ton sailboat.

Doug removed the flybridge and completely upgraded the boat including fresh Yanmar 4JH3E power. I completed the interior with a new galley, headliner, interior covering and new air conditioning. I installed a Furuno radar, Garmin GPS and a Simrad autopilot. The fit and finish is very good. Since it is really just a Willard Vega 30 clone, it is seaworthy, economical and, with fresh power, has been completely reliable.

Now, if I could only find a good 'boat stretcher' . . . . . . . . . .

Larry Massa
M/V Boomarang
League City - Galveston Bay, Texas
Old 02-06-2013, 02:10 AM   #11
TF Site Team

Larry, I keep looking for ya over there. i have been at the marina a lot lately. I would like to see what you have done!!!
Old 02-12-2013, 12:06 AM   #12

City: Clarkston, MI
Vessel Name: Nice Touch
Vessel Model: Nonsuch 30 Ultra
Is the Fales trawler still for sale? I am new to this forum so I am not sure I am responding correctly. Please reply with a status on her.

Thanks,
Ken
Old 02-12-2013, 02:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Looks to be in average condition w the original engine. With older boats I always advise my friends to seek out repowered boats. The Cap Rail is the biggest hunk of wood on the outside but there is much wood on the inside and this owner has spent little time preparing it for sale. No long list of equipment, features or up-grades made. I don't know the quality of the Fales hull but this one is the 32' version and other than moorage costs the extra 2' isa plus. The Perkins 108 engine is the one w/o the wet sleeve feature and a plus as the 107s tend to leak when they get old. Mine did. The first thing I'd check on this boat.

I prefer the Willard Voyager and Nomad cabin to this Seeker and the engine may be far fwd or even further fwd since it's a stretched hull. The ballance of the boat may be affected. Don't know about the Fales ballast but a number of Willards have had VERY serious problems w same ... mine for example. Some on the Willard web site consider the Fales to be a poor mans Willard but Mr Fales didn't honor his obligation to Willard as agreed on so he's looked on as a bit of an outlaw among Willardites. But for all I know the boat could be better than a Willard. Wouldn't bet a lot of money on that but If you're actually interested I'd start on the Willard Boat Owners Yahoo Group Site. Read what's there and judge for yourself. For $5000 more I'd sell you my Willard and It's got LOTS of new equipment ... but dosn't look any better that this Fales .. probably a tad worse.

If you start moving toward this boat keep in touch.
Manyboats,

Is Willy for sale? If so can you send me some details & asking price. I am not sure I am replying correctly, I just joined the forum and learning how to navigate correctly.

Thanks,

Ken
Old 02-12-2013, 03:14 PM   #14
Guru

I know not of the Fales and if Willy is going to go on the block I'd need to offer it to a friend first.

I better check on what I said about "$5000 more" ... more than what ect.

Here's Willy about 4 months ago. Since then she's been double tarped (cabin only) more or less striped and more or less left to winter weather ... with proper precautions. Click on the picture and it will get much larger.

PM me your phone # and hours. PM (private messaging) is in the upper right corner of the TF page. Give it a try.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0692 copy.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	16494  

Old 02-12-2013, 06:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
I know not of the Fales and if Willy is going to go on the block I'd need to offer it to a friend first.

I better check on what I said about "$5000 more" ... more than what ect.

Here's Willy about 4 months ago. Since then she's been double tarped (cabin only) more or less striped and more or less left to winter weather ... with proper precautions. Click on the picture and it will get much larger.

PM me your phone # and hours. PM (private messaging) is in the upper right corner of the TF page. Give it a try.
Manyboats,

I have tried to send you a PM and I am not successful. You may email me

at gooddeal8@att.net so that we may communicate off of the forum if you are comfortable with this.

Regards,

Ken

Closed Thread