• Trawler Forum Classified Posting Guidelines
    • We expect ads placed to be related to the topic of this forum.
    • Ads that are inactive for 180 days or longer may be moved to the Classified Archive and locked. Ads may be relisted if the item is still current. Alternatively, owners may contact a Moderator to reinstate an archived ad.
    • The Classified section is for advertising, members are asked to refrain from posting discussions to a Classified Ad. Please start a discussion thread or PM the owner for discussions.
    • Do not hijack another member's ad by posting unsolicited commentary. Example: if a member has posted an ad offering an anchor for sale, don't add a post to his thread stating that you have an anchor you'd like to get rid of also. Posts deemed as unsolicited commentary may be removed.
    • For your own security, do NOT include your e-mail or phone number in your ad. Instead request that interested parties contact you via PM (private message) to provide owners contact info.
    • Brokers, Dealers, or those with a commercial interest in a sale are prohibited from posting in Classifieds.
    • Only Trawler Forum Commercial Members may post ads in the Commercial section. You must be a designated Commercial Member to start threads in this section of the forum. (Contact a moderator if you have questions about this)
    • Don't post links to commercial sites where you are also offering the boat, such as eBay, Craigslist or Yachtworld, etc. unless it contains a more in-depth description, additional information or pictures.
    • Place only one ad per item (you may repost only when your ad has expired and been removed).
    For Sale ads MUST include:
    • Asking price
    • Clear statement whether you are the owner or non-owner (posting for friend, relative, or acquaintance)
    • Don't forget to select: FOR SALE, WANTED or FREE in the Title block.
    All ads should also include ALL the following:
    • Pertinent maintenance and condition information
    • Exterior picture or pictures
    • Interior picture or pictures (boats)
    For maximum impact & exposure, it is suggested the Ad Title include: Year, Manufacturer, Model, Length, Price, and Location or at the very top of the ad body. When your item has sold or the ad is no longer relevant: Please post a Reply to the ad that the item is SOLD or click "Report Post" on post 1 of the thread to ask a moderator to archive the ad. Ads may be moved or removed by our staff at any time for any reason. All ads must comply with site rules. Thanks for your cooperation.
  • Avoid Scams.

Our classifieds are free and anyone registered here is welcome to post an ad.
    Be aware that there are unscrupulous folks out there. Avoid any interaction that seems odd to you or �feels� wrong. Inquiries from unknown buyers, buyers �agents� and other non-traditional approaches should be treated with extreme caution.

Beware of unsolicited contacts offering to put you in touch with someone else who is buying or selling via e-mail or text.

Do not post your e-mail address or phone number in a classifieds ad.

Hints that you may be dealing with a Scammer:
    • Seller or Buyer approaches you via a direct email or PM and then steers you to an off-site communication method (text or email).
    • No posts or very few forum posts.
    • Recent forum membership
    • Insists on conducting negotiations via email or text rather than PM
    • Requires payment via Bank Transfer, BitCoin/CryptoCurrency, WesternUnion or other unsecured method.
    • Buyer or Seller suggests Paypal "Friends and Family" payment. Paypal is a good way to arrange payment but an invoice for goods and services should be used rather than "Friends and Family". "Friends and Family" avoids fees BUT there is no recourse if the transaction runs aground. Friends and Family is for gifts only. There is no protection for Friends and Family transactions, so never ever use it to buy something.
    • Declines to allow viewing the item before proceeding with the transaction.

Other: Fair asking price for genset

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug H

Veteran Member
I just removed the genset from my boat and would like to sell it. What do others think a fair asking price would be for it?

8 kW Northern Lights model M753K.3, 753 hours, includes waterlift muffler, control panel, transfer switch, Racor filter.

I just bought the boat, so I can't vouch for it's conditions, but it appears fairly new, well taken care of, and was professionally installed. I used it for the delivery trip -- it always started and ran well.

Why remove it? And what about the exhaust hole left behind?

Is there a sound shield? With only 753 hours, the engine end should be good. How many years in service of the electrical end? Those seem to have a finite life, used or not.

You going to put in a brand new gen set?sound like this unit would be perfectly OK.
Mine has 3500 hrs on it and in A1 condition.

There is no sound enclosure. I would guess that it is less than 5 years old.

I know that many people worship the genset, but I really dislike them. There is NO installation that will not destroy the peace of an idillic anchorage. I will be spending my summers in Maine where there is no need for AC -- the only excuse for a genset in my mind. They are about the most expensive way to generate electicity ever invented.
Also, this boat was badly out of trim by the head, hurting her looks and degrading her steering. The genset was a big weight well forward. The thru-hull holes will need to be patched -- along with about 10 others from obsolete thru-hulls on this boat.

The boat already has an oversize alternator on the main engine. If I can make enough by selling the genset to buy a good solar panel and three extra batteries, I'll be happy.

Check out pricing on EBay, there are several there for sale. Do you have a maintenance log for it ? If it runs and holds a load okay I'd start at 1/2 price to it's new value and mention that the buyer can test run it, and local pickup unless you will deliver it. GoodLuck NL are one of the best.

There is no sound enclosure. I would guess that it is less than 5 years old.

I know that many people worship the genset, but I really dislike them. There is NO installation that will not destroy the peace of an idillic anchorage. I will be spending my summers in Maine where there is no need for AC -- the only excuse for a genset in my mind. They are about the most expensive way to generate electicity ever invented.
Also, this boat was badly out of trim by the head, hurting her looks and degrading her steering. The genset was a big weight well forward. The thru-hull holes will need to be patched -- along with about 10 others from obsolete thru-hulls on this boat.

The boat already has an oversize alternator on the main engine. If I can make enough by selling the genset to buy a good solar panel and three extra batteries, I'll be happy.

Well, there you go.

I love our generator, but each to his own. :blush:

My guess is $4-5000. It's a desirable machine.

"The boat already has an oversize alternator on the main engine. If I can make enough by selling the genset to buy a good solar panel and three extra batteries, I'll be happy."

First you might install a SOC meter (state of charge) to work as a gas gauge for the house battery set.

Second , if its not already installed is a marine voltage regulator to speed up the house charging time.

Depending on the batt bank, and the demands of the batt killer , refrigeration, you should be able to do 3-4 days between a charging run, a week if using propane or an ice chest.

Where are you?

I'm in Maine. We are planning to go south for the winters, but would always come back north for the summers.

I've bought (but not yet installed) a Victron battery monitor and Balmar voltage regulator. I'm planning to get a 100 watt solar panel and will use a 6xG31 battery bank. Hoping this will do the trick.

I'm in Maine. We are planning to go south for the winters, but would always come back north for the summers.

I've bought (but not yet installed) a Victron battery monitor and Balmar voltage regulator. I'm planning to get a 100 watt solar panel and will use a 6xG31 battery bank. Hoping this will do the trick.

If you go south for the winters you may want to keep the gen set for the first year. It stays warm down here in Florida.

Just a thought you may not feel the need for a gen but the next buyer probably will when you sell it, yours is already installed I think it would be a big mistake to remove it, but to each their own

Sorry Gentlemen, but the genset is already out. You are almost certainly right about the next owner, but I'll be damned if I'll lug around that noisemaker for the next several years just for the next guy.

We have built three boats for a good customer with the same itinerary as I intend. On the first we installed a genset and an air conditioner. When he got back, he said he never used the AC and the genset was too noisy - a very nice Mastervolt unit in a sound enclosure. On the second boat we installed a WhisperGen, a very quite unit, but he had lots of trouble with it. On the third boat we installed a huge alternator and a very big battery bank, a system he loved. This customer had big electrical needs (refrigeration & O2 machine at night) and wanted to spend at least three nights on the hook without running an engine. All the boats were equiped with big inverters.

I'm planning to get a 100 watt solar panel and will use a 6xG31 battery bank. Hoping this will do the trick.

100W is not a lot....... On an 8 hour sunny day with the boat (panel) perfectly oriented towards the sun you're looking at 50-60 Ah.

Your fridge will draw that unless it's a stellar insulation job and you don't open it much. Then you have to charge phones, puters, run some LED lighting and maybe a fan or two when it's sticky.

If I were to go this route I would have 300 or so watts up there.....

YMMV.

"Your fridge will draw that unless it's a stellar insulation job and you don't open it much"

At a 20# tank a month the silence of a propane reefer might make 100W of solar plenty.

15KW, Phasor no sound shield. Can barely hear it running from the salon and cannot hear it on the back deck. North Florida it's necessary.

Yes, I haven't gotten around to advertising it yet. Are you in Winchester, Mass?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom