• Trawler Forum Classified Posting Guidelines
    • We expect ads placed to be related to the topic of this forum.
    • Ads that are inactive for 180 days or longer may be moved to the Classified Archive and locked. Ads may be relisted if the item is still current. Alternatively, owners may contact a Moderator to reinstate an archived ad.
    • The Classified section is for advertising, members are asked to refrain from posting discussions to a Classified Ad. Please start a discussion thread or PM the owner for discussions.
    • Do not hijack another member's ad by posting unsolicited commentary. Example: if a member has posted an ad offering an anchor for sale, don't add a post to his thread stating that you have an anchor you'd like to get rid of also. Posts deemed as unsolicited commentary may be removed.
    • For your own security, do NOT include your e-mail or phone number in your ad. Instead request that interested parties contact you via PM (private message) to provide owners contact info.
    • Brokers, Dealers, or those with a commercial interest in a sale are prohibited from posting in Classifieds.
    • Only Trawler Forum Commercial Members may post ads in the Commercial section. You must be a designated Commercial Member to start threads in this section of the forum. (Contact a moderator if you have questions about this)
    • Don't post links to commercial sites where you are also offering the boat, such as eBay, Craigslist or Yachtworld, etc. unless it contains a more in-depth description, additional information or pictures.
    • Place only one ad per item (you may repost only when your ad has expired and been removed).
    For Sale ads MUST include:
    • Asking price
    • Clear statement whether you are the owner or non-owner (posting for friend, relative, or acquaintance)
    • Don't forget to select: FOR SALE, WANTED or FREE in the Title block.
    All ads should also include ALL the following:
    • Pertinent maintenance and condition information
    • Exterior picture or pictures
    • Interior picture or pictures (boats)
    For maximum impact & exposure, it is suggested the Ad Title include: Year, Manufacturer, Model, Length, Price, and Location or at the very top of the ad body. When your item has sold or the ad is no longer relevant: Please post a Reply to the ad that the item is SOLD or click "Report Post" on post 1 of the thread to ask a moderator to archive the ad. Ads may be moved or removed by our staff at any time for any reason. All ads must comply with site rules. Thanks for your cooperation.
  • Avoid Scams.

Our classifieds are free and anyone registered here is welcome to post an ad.
    Be aware that there are unscrupulous folks out there. Avoid any interaction that seems odd to you or �feels� wrong. Inquiries from unknown buyers, buyers �agents� and other non-traditional approaches should be treated with extreme caution.

Beware of unsolicited contacts offering to put you in touch with someone else who is buying or selling via e-mail or text.

Do not post your e-mail address or phone number in a classifieds ad.

Hints that you may be dealing with a Scammer:
    • Seller or Buyer approaches you via a direct email or PM and then steers you to an off-site communication method (text or email).
    • No posts or very few forum posts.
    • Recent forum membership
    • Insists on conducting negotiations via email or text rather than PM
    • Requires payment via Bank Transfer, BitCoin/CryptoCurrency, WesternUnion or other unsecured method.
    • Buyer or Seller suggests Paypal "Friends and Family" payment. Paypal is a good way to arrange payment but an invoice for goods and services should be used rather than "Friends and Family". "Friends and Family" avoids fees BUT there is no recourse if the transaction runs aground. Friends and Family is for gifts only. There is no protection for Friends and Family transactions, so never ever use it to buy something.
    • Declines to allow viewing the item before proceeding with the transaction.

Diesel Trawler Sedan ++SOLD++

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jerryreliable

Veteran Member
For sale is this 40 foot sedan trawler. Built as the Captains launch on the carrier "Saratoga", The boat was refit for private use in 1996. In 2008, the boat sold for $47,000 with the original engine, a 6-71 Detroit. Then, in February 2008, the boat was refit as new, including a 3208 Cat, running gear, genset, (2) A/C units, (2) GPS, 1 D/F New gauges, oil change system. engine preoiler, autopilot, solar cells, inverter, stereo, windlass, and so on. There are many cruising spares, and large fuel and water capacities for extended cruising. Cruise is 12-14 knots, and tops 18 knots. 8 knots at 1400rpm ensures economy. Beautiful woodwork, and all equipment included. The refit cost over $70,000, and happened only 300 running hours ago. An annual service has been completer for 2012. Island Queen bed, nav station with desk, full galley with propane stove and oven, and so on. Oh yes, the price. How does $34,350 sound? Betcha can't find anything even near like it for the price. Thanks for your interest. Jerry

Attachments

• chimera 012.jpg
    chimera 012.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 533
Last edited by a moderator:
Spam? Broker?
where's the boat?

35k$$$ hmm .. gotta be a catch here

Owner

No catch here. But, it won't be for sale long, because the price is right and the boat is first class. Not a broker. not Spam. Just selling a wonderful boat for the right price.

Attachments

• chimera 008.jpg
    chimera 008.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 212
  • chimera 011.jpg
    chimera 011.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 212
  • chimera 002.jpg
    chimera 002.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 199
  • chimera 010.jpg
    chimera 010.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 206
Well Carey with over 1000 posts, you have another skeptical person eresponding to my ad to chat with. Thank You for your interest.

Well Carey with over 1000 posts, you have another skeptical person eresponding to my ad to chat with. Thank You for your interest.

Glad to help!!! You didn't really expect to come on this site as a second time poster and have us believe this not to be one of those "too good to be true" deals did you? Were I in the market for your boat, I wouldn't respond. I would assume it to be spam/scam. Sorry!

If you really want to sell the boat, you'll need more information on systems and amenities to attract interest. Engine? Trans? Fuel, water and holding tank capacities. How many does she sleep, etc..

Last edited:
If you really want to sell the boat, you'll need more information on systems and amenities to attract interest. Engine? Trans? Fuel, water and holding tank capacities. How many does she sleep, etc..

To say nothing of telling people where the boat actually is.

Easy fellas! this is a real boat by a real seller. If it is the boat that was on yacht world, (which I'm 99% sure it is) it is located at Amelia island, Florida. Just a guy selling his boat. I agree he should give more info and pics'. It is a navy personnel boat conversion that was done in a very professional way. I think it is a lot of heavy duty boat for the money.

Thanks for your replay. It is indeed the same boat. I just moved it from Yulee Florida to Pine Island, 465 statute miles. It was the Captains Gig (one of the gigs) on the Saratoga. Brass plate beneath the steering wheel tells all. I just figured I'd put it on this post, and see if anyone had an interest. Wasn't expecing some of the replies.

Jerry, Looks like a nice vessel for a great price. Must have an interesting history. Post more if you can.

There are a vocal few who love to throw the spitballs. Just watch who's spitting and learn to duck.

Good luck with the sale.

"Chimera"

Thanks. This boat was refit for private owners in 1996 after coming off the carrier Saratoga. The refit was done in Virginia, and thereafter the new owners kept it 12 years, selling it in 2008. Then, the new owner refit the boat mechanically, replaced the 6-71 with a 3208T Cat, new genset, dual A/C, solar panels, inverter, pre-oiler, oil x-change, two GPS, D/F, Pilot etc. After that, it got less than 300 hours use till I bought it a couple of weeks ago. I just today returned home on it from Yulee Florida, a 450 mile trip. No problems. Cruise 7 knots at 3.3GPH or 14 knots at 12.8 GPH. 7 foot headroom below, 6'4" in salon, and 300 fuel and 300 water. So I thought I'd put it for sale here. I have the complete history and paperwork, the receipts, everything. These boats were built for the Navy, and the Captains Gigs were exchanged for new every couple of years. In the Carter years, the Navy made the commanders get rid of their gigs as a cost saver, figuring that each entertainment boat needed several crewmen to maintain it. So they had 18 months to 'turn them in."
Here are some more pics of :Chimera.:chimera 001.jpg

chimera 003.jpg

bed Chimera.jpg

Chimera Side View.jpg

Attachments

• saratoga chimera.jpg
    saratoga chimera.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 194
  • cockpit chimera.jpg
    cockpit chimera.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 187
Jerry--- Do you know who actually fabricated the boat for the Navy?

Missed that in the photo, thanks. Interesting, though. Uniflite built a lot of boats for the military including a large number of riverine gunboats that were used in Viet Nam. Ironically, what I was told by a long-time Uniflite manager, those government contracts were largely responsible for the demise of the company. The fire didn't help, of course, but the story I heard was the company was never able to fully recover from the financial problems caused by their government contracts.

Last edited:
That and their persistent problem with blistering hulls.

For anyone interested I found these two photos on the web of what the Uniflite captain's gig looked like originally. The shot on the crane is a gig being lifted back aboard a carrier in Turkey.

image-1459446344.jpg

image-433212711.jpg

Yes, it was built by Uniflite in Bellingham Washington and is so marked on the brass ID plate

For anyone interested I found these two photos on the web of what the Uniflite captain's gig looked like originally. The shot on the crane is a gig being lifted back aboard a carrier in Turkey.

View attachment 12034

View attachment 12035

Given the aft cabin configuration of the original, I wonder if the subject boat was based on this model, or perhaps a different version, as it has an aft cockpit. If based on the aft cabin version, that was an even larger project than it initially appeared to be!

On the CL ad there is a shot of the boat out of the water from the stern. What is the thing that looks like a short horizontal section of pipe just ahead of the prop?

That is a "Monkey Rudder". It is common on navy small boats to assist in directing propeller thrust for improved backing abilities. It works similar to a "Flanking Rudder" on towboats but on towboats there is a separate tiller for the rudder. On the Navy boats there is a tie rod that connects it to the steering arm-meaning both are turned when helm is turned.
Fast Fred has his auto pilot connected to this rudder.
I have never used one but have been curious about the effects of it. Some people say they are a big help, others remove them, saying they are of little help.
Maybe Fast Fred will enlighten us.

That looks a lot like the boat I am building.I sure hope it looks as good when I am finished with her.Good luck on the sale.She's a purdy boat.

attachment.php

Hi, Regarding the 40 Sedan Trawler I posted, please be advised that the sale of the boat closed today. It actually sold to a gemtleman who responded to a Craigslist ad. He was the second person who actually came to see the boat. We waited for a survey to be done before he confirmed the sale, which he did this evening. I also had one backup deposit from a fellow who came after the buyer did. Thanks for your interest, Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom