• Trawler Forum Classified Posting Guidelines
    • We expect ads placed to be related to the topic of this forum.
    • Ads that are inactive for 180 days or longer may be moved to the Classified Archive and locked. Ads may be relisted if the item is still current. Alternatively, owners may contact a Moderator to reinstate an archived ad.
    • The Classified section is for advertising, members are asked to refrain from posting discussions to a Classified Ad. Please start a discussion thread or PM the owner for discussions.
    • Do not hijack another member's ad by posting unsolicited commentary. Example: if a member has posted an ad offering an anchor for sale, don't add a post to his thread stating that you have an anchor you'd like to get rid of also. Posts deemed as unsolicited commentary may be removed.
    • For your own security, do NOT include your e-mail or phone number in your ad. Instead request that interested parties contact you via PM (private message) to provide owners contact info.
    • Brokers, Dealers, or those with a commercial interest in a sale are prohibited from posting in Classifieds.
    • Only Trawler Forum Commercial Members may post ads in the Commercial section. You must be a designated Commercial Member to start threads in this section of the forum. (Contact a moderator if you have questions about this)
    • Don't post links to commercial sites where you are also offering the boat, such as eBay, Craigslist or Yachtworld, etc. unless it contains a more in-depth description, additional information or pictures.
    • Place only one ad per item (you may repost only when your ad has expired and been removed).
    For Sale ads MUST include:
    • Asking price
    • Clear statement whether you are the owner or non-owner (posting for friend, relative, or acquaintance)
    • Don't forget to select: FOR SALE, WANTED or FREE in the Title block.
    All ads should also include ALL the following:
    • Pertinent maintenance and condition information
    • Exterior picture or pictures
    • Interior picture or pictures (boats)
    For maximum impact & exposure, it is suggested the Ad Title include: Year, Manufacturer, Model, Length, Price, and Location or at the very top of the ad body. When your item has sold or the ad is no longer relevant: Please post a Reply to the ad that the item is SOLD or click "Report Post" on post 1 of the thread to ask a moderator to archive the ad. Ads may be moved or removed by our staff at any time for any reason. All ads must comply with site rules. Thanks for your cooperation.
  • Avoid Scams.

Our classifieds are free and anyone registered here is welcome to post an ad.
    Be aware that there are unscrupulous folks out there. Avoid any interaction that seems odd to you or �feels� wrong. Inquiries from unknown buyers, buyers �agents� and other non-traditional approaches should be treated with extreme caution.

Beware of unsolicited contacts offering to put you in touch with someone else who is buying or selling via e-mail or text.

Do not post your e-mail address or phone number in a classifieds ad.

Hints that you may be dealing with a Scammer:
    • Seller or Buyer approaches you via a direct email or PM and then steers you to an off-site communication method (text or email).
    • No posts or very few forum posts.
    • Recent forum membership
    • Insists on conducting negotiations via email or text rather than PM
    • Requires payment via Bank Transfer, BitCoin/CryptoCurrency, WesternUnion or other unsecured method.
    • Buyer or Seller suggests Paypal "Friends and Family" payment. Paypal is a good way to arrange payment but an invoice for goods and services should be used rather than "Friends and Family". "Friends and Family" avoids fees BUT there is no recourse if the transaction runs aground. Friends and Family is for gifts only. There is no protection for Friends and Family transactions, so never ever use it to buy something.
    • Declines to allow viewing the item before proceeding with the transaction.

Other: Delivery or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

utazo89

Is it worth shipping over to the West coast from the East coast? Let say, there is a 50'-er I like, but I cannot bring it over floating. The only option is trucking it. What do companies charge for a delivery like this?

Laz

Laz, in 2010 I shipped my 60' boat from the Detroit area to Portland OR. It cost $20K and that included removal of the fly bridge which had to be shipped on its own truck an trailer.

I guess the deciding factor of whether or not to do it would be the value of the boat you're looking at shipping and whether you could buy it on the left coast at a similar price.

Wow, not cheap.
Yes, the boat has to be very special, to pay this amount to get it. I wish it was here in the left coast. Well, I keep searching. Thanks.

There is also the possibility of having it shipped as deck cargo on a commercial vessel. If your timing is flexible that might save some do-re-mi.

I wish it was here in the left coast.

If you want a left coast boat relocate to the right coast. Suddenly you'll find dozens of them. My recommendation is to limit your search geographically unless your hobby is shipping boats.

We shipped ours from NY to smack in the middle of the country, 1500 miles. 41' loa, 14 tons. Cost about $16k, which broke down to about $3k for dismantling and loading on the far end, $3k for unloading, reassembly and launching, and $10k for the trucking itself. The only way it makes any sense at all is if you get the boat for such a good price that it's worth the shipping - and even then it's a lot of work to arrange, logistics, logistics. For us there was an additional factor that big boats are pretty rare around here so the pickings were very slim. If you live on either coast though, it's hard for me to see how all that expense and hassle is justified or necessary.

Have to agree with others... even my relative small boat/short haul was +-$4000 for 400-miles...

The boat purchase in question would have to be a very attractive deal to haul 3000-miles.

Now cruising it 3000-miles I would consider - especially on the great loop route...

Laz-Bliss mentioned shipping as deck cargo, definitely a viable alternative, but certainly not cheaper. In our case, the boat was too big to truck, so deck cargo was the only option. From Miami to Vancouver for a 58' was about $60K. Ehich brings up the additional issue of ports. if leaving from a US port on the East Coat, you have to land at a foreign port on the West Coast (thanks Jones Act!). That limits you to Ensenada, Mx or Vancouver/Sidney, BC. Lots of real estate in between!

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course if the boat is operational, the same bucks as shipping could be a great vacation.

uta, just to add a PS to my earlier post, I don't know what type/make boat you're looking for, but don't overlook the Great Lakes as a source. When I bought Beachcomber, even with paying the shipping, tear down, reassembly and other costs I save about $50K over buying a left coast boat of the same year/make/model.

Plus, when they come out of the Great Lakes they are freshwater boats usually with low hours because of their short season and many of them are stored in heated sheds during the winter.

It would be better if Trump will build a canal across Texas instead of a wall.

For less could you not hire an experienced semi retired captain to bring it around through the Panama Canal for you?
Even better fly over and go with him/her to learn more about it.
Even if I buy a boat from my next door neighbor I plan to hire someone who really knows what they are doing to help me go for a long cruise.
The first winter I boated to the Sea of Cortez in Mexico, I hired a guy to go with me the first 2500 miles, and I was not ever far from land, usually running just 3 to 10 miles from shore. Just how to not get arrested going from Canada to the USA to Mexico. And that was in my little tiny 27 footer i had then.
My first 5 winters I towed my 24 footer to mexico behind my pickup.
Bought my 27 and boated down and back in it the next 2 winters, then bought my 33' and boated down the last 2 winters, and will again this coming winter.
Next year i want to buy a medium size trawler of 55 to 70 foot range. Will just putter on it for a couple of years down to Mexico and up to alaska and around the BC coast...I want to be really used to it before i decide to run around the world. My first leg when i do is 2500 nm of open Pacific Ocean from BC to Hawaii.
So if you bring it back with a captain tou learn so much.
If you can't get the time to do the whole trip do even part of it and fly home from some place. Yes i know you have fuel costs and filters and lock fees and hiring people etc. But i still think its likely cheaper by a bit. Also the captain will discover the issues on the trip and fix some and make you aware of the rest. In the aviation Industrywe call it a bitch list for our slang term. When i land i write down anything I found wrong while flying so the AME can fix it.
I have bought my last 13 or so ocean boats new, from reputable builders, and fairly simple hoats to....and every single one had something wrong with it.
My 4 Kingfisher aluminum boats and my fiberglass Worldcat had the least issues....my Boston whaler and Sea sport had the most problems. ...but every one had something wrong.
Sorry for the long post and getting off topic.
I'm just more the float it around mind set since its a boat, over trucking it.
Same as i would drive a car from say Boston to Seattle, and not put it on a boat and float it around the 2 continents.

utazo89; said:
Is it worth shipping over to the West coast from the East coast? Let say, there is a 50'-er I like
laz, that 50'-er you might like is not the only one in the world. Even if it is a one off there is something close somewhere.

Tell us what it is that raises the excitement level and maybe someone can look around on the west coast and um, where on the west coast.

Thanks Gents. I think I have my answers. I live in Seattle. There are lot of nice boats here obviously, it is just my budget, which limits my options. Most of the boats around and below 50' are party type, or in very bad shape. My aim is a LRC, without serious repair issues. 100K can only buy so much. Seeing the numbers here, it will not be a good idea for me to search outside of WA state. Instead, I will try to be patient and see, if something pops up on the market. As many of us here, I dream about a long trip someday. Will it happen, after I retire? I don't know. But I keep dreaming. Thanks to All.

I bought and shipped a 40' sailboat from SoCal. No flybridge to remove but the shipping alone was $10k.

In looking for boats, I suggest that you limit yourself to the PNW. This will include BC and AK as well as the Columbia river. The only problem getting a boat from BC or AK is time. Getting a boat from the Columbia is a matter of time, experience, and condition of the boat. In any case hiring a delivery captain isn't all that expensive within the PNW.

I'd add a search in the Bay Area too. It's not that far to deliver it or bring it on its own bottom from there. All the usual caveats apply.

Since you're in Seattle, head up to Port Townsend, Hadlock, Ludlow, Poulsbo, Anacotres etc. and walk the docks, you might just find what you're looking for.

Last edited:
Cost nearly $30K to ship from China to Oakland, CA, and total import duties and state taxes weren't much less.

I can't promise that I will drive down to the Bay area, but I did go to Anacortes, Bellingham already. I don't mind to do a few hours drive to see a prospective boat. I learn something everyday. Since, I am not in the hurry, I just keep looking. I know, some of you guys also spent years looking for the right purchase. I also check daily the popular web sites for new listings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom