Old 02-09-2019, 10:09 AM   #1

City: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Vessel Name: NOMAD
Vessel Model: 48' DeFever Trawler
Send a message via Skype™ to jwitzel
DeFever 48 Trawler for sale

For Sale: DeFever 48 Trawler, 1982 CTF built.

I have owned NOMAD for 8 years and have cruised solo most of that time; she is setup for easy one person operation including docking. She has been well maintained and I hate to let her go but I am planning on spending most of the next decade in Europe and North Africa and sadly it makes the most sense to pass her along to a deserving new owner at this time. Currently cruising the Abaco islands; returning to the Titusville area in early March 2019.

· Federally Documented Vessel
· Major interior remodel in 2013/2018
· 70,000 lb. fully loaded, 24’ bridge clearance, 16’ beam, 4.7’ draft
· Twin Ford Lehman 120 natural diesels, ZF-63 transmissions (2.48:1 ratio); under 6,000 hours on engines, 3,000 on transmissions
· 24V, 6.5kW Bow thruster, dual stations and wireless pendant (both anchor & thruster)
· 3 cabins master has a walk-around queen, 2 full bathrooms (one has a steam shower), twin electric heads
· 11’ Boston Whaler with new Mercury 15hp electric start 4-stroke engine; electric davit
· Paravane stabilized (very economical with only a 0.6 knot penalty @ 7 knots)
· 1,140 gal. fuel capacity (including a 140 gal. day-tank); ~3,400 mile range @ 5 knots; 4 fuel filters between each engine and main tanks; each Lehman burns ~0.9 gph @ 1,200 rpm @ 5 knots; (9.5knot max cruise)
· 7.7kW Westerbeake 3-phase 120/240V generator; burns ~0.882 gph under full 66Amp load
· Sixteen deep-discharge house batteries, 1,760Ah total!, (new 2019), 2 new bow thruster AGM batteries (new 2018); new gen & engine batteries (2019)
· 150 Amp house bank alternator plus 2, 45 Amp engine alternators
· Three 25W vhf radios w/DSC/Distress, 4 weather stations, NOAA weather alert radio, 2 Furuno Navnet radar/chartplotter displays and a 27” flybridge chartplotter
· Class-B AIS transponder, 4 depth finders (2 video), 3 compasses, Simrad AP-16 Autopilot, 5 GPS sources
· 2 Epirbs, fully stocked ditch-bag, 6-person life raft, current Coastguard safety sticker
· 100W Yeasu FT-2000 SSB; covers all ham bands and weather fax reception; Shakespeare-393 antenna
· Kenwood R-5000 SSB receiver as a backup
· 4 burner propane stove, convection/microwave oven, toaster oven, frig, deep sink w/garbage disposal, wine cooler, chest freezer
· OpenCPN chartplotter loaded with current NOAA charts and older Explorer charts (open-source program w/free chart updates), tied to 27” flybridge monitor with AIS plotting/tides/currents/etc.
· 3 engine room cameras and 4th aft looking camera viewable from Flybridge, laptop or remote iPhone app
· Digital engine/shaft temps/batteries/generator monitoring viewable from engine room & cameras
· 3 ProSine battery charges (6 outputs) and separate solar panel/wind generator controller/regulator
· Two 1,800W ProSine inverters (split loads, 30 Amp total)
· Both120 & 12V power monitoring; redundant surge suppressors, 4 GFIC circuits, 3.5Amp USB outlets
· 480W solar panels (new 2018) & 40 amp wind generator (100% self-sufficient at anchor if you use wisely)
· Automatic MOB engine kill system (good if you cruise solo!)
· Twin horns, electric and compressed air
· 650W of outside 360⁰ LED spreader lighting
· Dual 60/65 lb. bow anchors with 200’+200’ 3/8” BBB chain, stern anchor & 100 lb. hurricane anchor, over 200’ of new hurricane rope in Lazarette
· Automatic engine room fire suppression
· Four blade, 26” bronze propellers, 1.75” shafts. Two spare props in the Lazarette.
· Wireless Wi-Fi network w/networked color HP laser printer and external Wave Wi-Fi range booster
· LED lighting throughout boat
· 3 reverse cycle aircon units (2, 12,000 Btu and 1, 16,000 Btu)
· New Petite bottom paint (12/2018)
· 500 gal. H2O capacity
· 20 gal. hot H2O heater
· 45 gal. holding tank
· KVH-M1Trackvision satellite system (DirectTV)
· 40” LCD TV in salon w/DVR
· Detailed and fully documented maintenance log
· Complete operator and service manual sets including digital copies and current detailed plumbing/electrical/black-water/engine/fuel/etc. diagrams/schematics
· Gun safe
· Complete engine room tool box, work bench and plenty of spares
· Both port & starboard dock connections, 50, 30+30, 30 and 15Amp adapters
· Magma SS propane barbeque grill.
· Burglar alarm, anchor alarm, freezer and frig temperature alarms
· 12 fenders w/4 dock-boards and a many dock lines
· Enclosed flybridge, new Isinglass (2018)
· 2 Scuba tanks, BC’s, wet gear and 80’ hookah hoses (use either solo or hookah hooked)
· Detailed 80 page operator/crew/visitors manual with mechanical/plumbing/electrical & operation details

Turnkey and ready to go as-is/as-seen; from binoculars to fishing gear to bed linens she is ready to cruise! (personal items/kitchen stuff/EE test gear, misc. storage containers excluded).
Currently located in Green Turtle Cay
Details and photos downloadable at: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iqQ...ew?usp=sharing
and
Contact me at john.witzel@gmail.com or call/text 703-683-2029
John Witzel

Priced at $175,000.00, surveyed at $190,000.00 in April 2017.
EDIT:
Buyer commissions acceptable.

jwitzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 06:18 PM   #2

City: Hughesville, MD
Vessel Name: Branwen
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
What does 'brokers protected' mean?

GregBrannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 06:33 PM   #3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregBrannon View Post
Some I`ve met need protection, from their own BS and its consequences. I`d guess it`s PC speak for "No Brokers Please", could also mean "Commission Paid to Broker Introducing Buyer"
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 06:57 PM   #4

City: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Vessel Name: NOMAD
Vessel Model: 48' DeFever Trawler
Send a message via Skype™ to jwitzel
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregBrannon View Post
Sorry, I tried to correct it to 'buyer commissions acceptable' but for some reason was unable to.
jwitzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 08:47 PM   #5
Guru

City: Satsuma FL/Daytona Beach Shores
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Your Operations Manual, abbreviated as you may call it, is excellent. Don't recall any other seller making such an effort. Very impressive as is the outfitting of the boat.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:48 PM   #6
Guru

City: So-Cal
Vessel Model: Helmsman 43 PH
I will second that. I downloaded your Operations Manual and it is excellent. I may steal some of your write ups for the personal user manual I am currently working on for my own boat. The engine room gear in the Pics looks amazingly well cared for. If those are current pictures, it is obvious you take a lot of pride in your vessel. Good luck with the sale. If I was in the market for a boat of this size and vintage, I would be all over this.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:57 PM   #7
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
My wife and I had the pleasure of touring John’s 48 when it was docked near DC several years ago and we were starting to consider Defevers. It’s a gorgeous boat and the extensive upgrades and modernizations John has performed are amazing.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 02:55 PM   #8

City: Missoula Montana
Vessel Model: Looking to buy
Called. Left a message.
Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 06:36 PM   #9

City: Missoula Montana
Vessel Model: Looking to buy
Nice visiting with you this morning John. I will send you an email with my contact information so that you can get a hold of me once you return.
Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:39 AM   #10

City: Cape Coral, Fl
Vessel Name: Panacea
Vessel Model: Novatec 42 Sundeck Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwitzel View Post
For Sale: DeFever 48 Trawler, 1982 CTF built.

I have owned NOMAD for 8 years and have cruised solo most of that time; she is setup for easy one person operation including docking. She has been well maintained and I hate to let her go but I am planning on spending most of the next decade in Europe and North Africa and sadly it makes the most sense to pass her along to a deserving new owner at this time. Currently cruising the Abaco islands; returning to the Titusville area in early March 2019.

· Federally Documented Vessel
· Major interior remodel in 2013/2018
· 70,000 lb. fully loaded, 24’ bridge clearance, 16’ beam, 4.7’ draft
· Twin Ford Lehman 120 natural diesels, ZF-63 transmissions (2.48:1 ratio); under 6,000 hours on engines, 3,000 on transmissions
· 24V, 6.5kW Bow thruster, dual stations and wireless pendant (both anchor & thruster)
· 3 cabins master has a walk-around queen, 2 full bathrooms (one has a steam shower), twin electric heads
· 11’ Boston Whaler with new Mercury 15hp electric start 4-stroke engine; electric davit
· Paravane stabilized (very economical with only a 0.6 knot penalty @ 7 knots)
· 1,140 gal. fuel capacity (including a 140 gal. day-tank); ~3,400 mile range @ 5 knots; 4 fuel filters between each engine and main tanks; each Lehman burns ~0.9 gph @ 1,200 rpm @ 5 knots; (9.5knot max cruise)
· 7.7kW Westerbeake 3-phase 120/240V generator; burns ~0.882 gph under full 66Amp load
· Sixteen deep-discharge house batteries, 1,760Ah total!, (new 2019), 2 new bow thruster AGM batteries (new 2018); new gen & engine batteries (2019)
· 150 Amp house bank alternator plus 2, 45 Amp engine alternators
· Three 25W vhf radios w/DSC/Distress, 4 weather stations, NOAA weather alert radio, 2 Furuno Navnet radar/chartplotter displays and a 27” flybridge chartplotter
· Class-B AIS transponder, 4 depth finders (2 video), 3 compasses, Simrad AP-16 Autopilot, 5 GPS sources
· 2 Epirbs, fully stocked ditch-bag, 6-person life raft, current Coastguard safety sticker
· 100W Yeasu FT-2000 SSB; covers all ham bands and weather fax reception; Shakespeare-393 antenna
· Kenwood R-5000 SSB receiver as a backup
· 4 burner propane stove, convection/microwave oven, toaster oven, frig, deep sink w/garbage disposal, wine cooler, chest freezer
· OpenCPN chartplotter loaded with current NOAA charts and older Explorer charts (open-source program w/free chart updates), tied to 27” flybridge monitor with AIS plotting/tides/currents/etc.
· 3 engine room cameras and 4th aft looking camera viewable from Flybridge, laptop or remote iPhone app
· Digital engine/shaft temps/batteries/generator monitoring viewable from engine room & cameras
· 3 ProSine battery charges (6 outputs) and separate solar panel/wind generator controller/regulator
· Two 1,800W ProSine inverters (split loads, 30 Amp total)
· Both120 & 12V power monitoring; redundant surge suppressors, 4 GFIC circuits, 3.5Amp USB outlets
· 480W solar panels (new 2018) & 40 amp wind generator (100% self-sufficient at anchor if you use wisely)
· Automatic MOB engine kill system (good if you cruise solo!)
· Twin horns, electric and compressed air
· 650W of outside 360⁰ LED spreader lighting
· Dual 60/65 lb. bow anchors with 200’+200’ 3/8” BBB chain, stern anchor & 100 lb. hurricane anchor, over 200’ of new hurricane rope in Lazarette
· Automatic engine room fire suppression
· Four blade, 26” bronze propellers, 1.75” shafts. Two spare props in the Lazarette.
· Wireless Wi-Fi network w/networked color HP laser printer and external Wave Wi-Fi range booster
· LED lighting throughout boat
· 3 reverse cycle aircon units (2, 12,000 Btu and 1, 16,000 Btu)
· New Petite bottom paint (12/2018)
· 500 gal. H2O capacity
· 20 gal. hot H2O heater
· 45 gal. holding tank
· KVH-M1Trackvision satellite system (DirectTV)
· 40” LCD TV in salon w/DVR
· Detailed and fully documented maintenance log
· Complete operator and service manual sets including digital copies and current detailed plumbing/electrical/black-water/engine/fuel/etc. diagrams/schematics
· Gun safe
· Complete engine room tool box, work bench and plenty of spares
· Both port & starboard dock connections, 50, 30+30, 30 and 15Amp adapters
· Magma SS propane barbeque grill.
· Burglar alarm, anchor alarm, freezer and frig temperature alarms
· 12 fenders w/4 dock-boards and a many dock lines
· Enclosed flybridge, new Isinglass (2018)
· 2 Scuba tanks, BC’s, wet gear and 80’ hookah hoses (use either solo or hookah hooked)
· Detailed 80 page operator/crew/visitors manual with mechanical/plumbing/electrical & operation details

Turnkey and ready to go as-is/as-seen; from binoculars to fishing gear to bed linens she is ready to cruise! (personal items/kitchen stuff/EE test gear, misc. storage containers excluded).
Currently located in Green Turtle Cay
Details and photos downloadable at: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iqQ...ew?usp=sharing
and
Contact me at john.witzel@gmail.com or call/text 703-683-2029
John Witzel

Priced at $175,000.00, surveyed at $190,000.00 in April 2017.
Brokers protected.
John, you giving up boating?
Panacea123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:27 PM   #11
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwitzel View Post
Sorry, I tried to correct it to 'buyer commissions acceptable' but for some reason was unable to.
Post #1 edited as shown above.
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 10:50 AM   #12

City: Texas
Vessel Model: 37' C&L Double Cabin
Just curious because I recently looked at a DeFever 44 and was disappointed, do you happen to know the headroom under the hardtop and throughout the cabin?
Nopistn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 05:18 PM   #13
Veteran Member

City: Auckland
Vessel Name: MV Takapu 2
Vessel Model: ex HMNZS Patrol Craft 94'
This really is a once in a blue moon kind of boat. Stunning presentation.

that crackling sound you can hear... I can hear it too ... hahaha.
sleaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 05:43 PM   #14

City: St Louis
Thank you jwitzel--I'm an absolute newbie to the forum and several years out before we buy our FIRST boat so Saturday I woke up knowing nothing. Then I read your manual and I feel like all the secrets of the universe have been illuminated. Thank you for the crash course and good luck with the sale.
MOBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:57 PM   #15
Veteran Member

City: Greenwell Point
Vessel Name: Sea Biscuit, 40' trawler
Vessel Model: Cecil Boden
John, I also downloaded your manual: exhaustive, and many ideas there for my own vessel. Thanks for this, and good luck with the sale.
Kit_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:01 PM   #16

City: Bethlehem, PA
Vessel Name: Lady Kay V
Vessel Model: Don't know yet.....
Very nice.... reminds me of my motorhome and it's miles of mods and MX procedures.
Old Yesterday, 06:59 AM   #17
Veteran Member

City: Goldcoast
Vessel Name: Moana
Vessel Model: 1996 M40 Riviera aft cab
Unbelievable, absolutely amazed at your presentation and manual, if I could do a quarter as well I would be a happy boater.

auskiwi is offline   Reply With Quote