Old 10-06-2015, 07:41 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Nacogdoches
DeFever 44

I know, I know. Which boat do I want? We decided upon getting either a Kadey Krogen 42 OR a DeFever 44. I just felt like being very specific would be better than posting a general trawler wanted request.

We would like to find a stabilized DeFever 44. No damaged boats please. There are a couple currently listed on Yachtworld that we are looking into, but nothing firm yet. Knowledge of any others that are currently for sale would be appreciated.

jacks88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:32 AM   #2
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacks88 View Post
I know, I know. Which boat do I want? We decided upon getting either a Kadey Krogen 42 OR a DeFever 44. I just felt like being very specific would be better than posting a general trawler wanted request.

We would like to find a stabilized DeFever 44. No damaged boats please. There are a couple currently listed on Yachtworld that we are looking into, but nothing firm yet. Knowledge of any others that are currently for sale would be appreciated.
Suggest you spend some real time on both, not just on broker-led tours.

I love Krogen 42s and have been on many, but a charter two years ago convinced us (read that mostly as "my wife") that it was not the boat for us. I was initially unhappy with her reluctance (mostly over the Pullman berth) but when we stepped aboard a Defever 44, the difference for both of us was striking. We both like the vast sundeck and flybridge and extremely generous walk-in engine room. We both love the large aft stateroom with a true queen (there just weren't many KKs with centerline queens on the market when we were looking and they were priced at a premium). Obviously, there are many other variables that you may weigh differently than we did.

Again, in no way am I slagging on Kadey Krogens, just noting that something I had thought I was locked into (mostly on paper) changed after some real-world exposure.

angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 11:01 AM   #3

City: Whidbey Island WA
Vessel Name: MV Kika
Vessel Model: Selene 47 Ocean Trawler
Lots of differences between these two boats...have you found line handling and boarding the D44 to be a challenge?
Old 10-10-2015, 12:17 PM   #4
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwboater View Post
Lots of differences between these two boats...have you found line handling and boarding the D44 to be a challenge?
Quite easy on a DF 48. Wide side decks with side and stern boarding gates at close to dock level. Much easier than a DF44 or a KK42. Been there and done that.

All Nordhavns up to 86' are easy to board as well with a side deck access close to dock level.

But for the nimble anything can work, and does.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote