Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Rather than ask a stupid question, I googled "what is a slough?"

noun
1. an area of soft, muddy ground; swamp or swamplike region.
2. a hole full of mire, as in a road.
3. Also, slew, slue. Northern U.S. and Canadian. a marshy or reedy pool, pond, inlet, backwater, or the like.
4. a condition of degradation, despair, or helplessness.

I know I've been in #4 plenty of times.

I don't think I'd want to anchor in a swamp, a hole in the road or a reedy pool. "Inlet" and "backwater" make sense, but somehow I think you have something more specific in mind.

Is this a left-coast thing?
No, it is another name for a channel through shallower water, such as Big Foot Slough leading from the Pamlico Sound to Ocracoke, or Frying Pan Slough through the Frying Pan Shoal off Cape Fear. In California, they are the mostly man made channels between the "islands" created by levees and drainage.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
Old 02-09-2013, 11:10 AM   #22
Veteran Member

City: Englewood
Vessel Name: Choices
Vessel Model: 1992 36' Grand Banks Europa
add to list
Mariners Trading, 3622 Tamiami Trl, Port Charlotte, FL 33952, (941) 629-1341
Mariners Trading

(also, Nautical Traders; Nokomis, FL, (941) 488-0766 http://www.nauticaltrader.net/index.html has been closed for months - it's still there, just never open)

Old 02-09-2013, 01:35 PM   #23
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Name: Cygnus
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
No, it is another name for a channel through shallower water, such as Big Foot Slough leading from the Pamlico Sound to Ocracoke, or Frying Pan Slough through the Frying Pan Shoal off Cape Fear. In California, they are the mostly man made channels between the "islands" created by levees and drainage.
Thanks, guess I've spent too much time isolated in the Northeast. Not only did I ask a stupid question, but I asked it in the wrong thread! I have a bad habit of opening multiple threads in different tabs. Guess I went back to the wrong one to post, sorry!
Old 02-09-2013, 08:11 PM   #24
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
That's OK. There's always Ritalin... ;-)
Old 02-09-2013, 11:59 PM   #25
Guru

Wikipedia`s "secondary channel of a river delta" is more enticing than "mudhole". Either way I`d run the washdown pump when the anchor came up.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:26 AM   #26
Guru

My first thread hijack. I feel sort of unclean

Anyway, I had this thread open because I really AM interested in marine salvage parts. I figure after hurricane Sandy there should be tons of good equipment and parts on the market, and I need quite a few. But it doesn't seem to be happening. And quite frankly, the prices I'm seeing so far aren't all that good.

It seems to me there's an opportunity for an enterprising young person to scour the insurance company bone yards and recover salable items before the boats go to the crusher.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:29 AM   #27
Guru

City: somewhere
Quote:
My first thread hijack. I feel sort of unclean

Anyway, I had this thread open because I really AM interested in marine salvage parts. I figure after hurricane Sandy there should be tons of good equipment and parts on the market, and I need quite a few. But it doesn't seem to be happening. And quite frankly, the prices I'm seeing so far aren't all that good.

It seems to me there's an opportunity for an enterprising young person to scour the insurance company bone yards and recover salable items before the boats go to the crusher.
I think you have to buy the whole boat in order to scrap it.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:27 AM   #28
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t
Quote:
As Beachbum has said. The insurance company owns the boat. They won't let anyone take parts without buying the boat from them (insurance company). No one will buy the boats because after the usable parts are taken off there is no "crusher" like in cars to get rid of them. Fiberglass hulls are a problem as far as scrape goes.

How to Scrap a Fiberglass Boat Hull | eHow.com

M/V Stella Di Mare
New Bern NC
Old 02-11-2013, 12:21 PM   #29
Guru

I assume that if nobody buys the boat (which must be most of the time), the insurance company has to pay someone to scrap it.

It seems they would be open to a business proposition that would lower the cost of scrapping.

But maybe I'm living in a fantasy world where big companies do things that make sense. I'll go read some more Dilbert cartoons, then I'll be fine.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:37 PM   #30
Guru

City: somewhere
Quote:
I assume that if nobody buys the boat (which must be most of the time), the insurance company has to pay someone to scrap it.

It seems they would be open to a business proposition that would lower the cost of scrapping.

But maybe I'm living in a fantasy world where big companies do things that make sense. I'll go read some more Dilbert cartoons, then I'll be fine.
There are salvage auctions where you can buy these boats.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:54 AM   #31
Guru

OK, I found one company that's doing what I suggested:

Outboard Motors and Parts, Propellers items in donsmarine-2008 store on eBay!

Too bad they seem more focused on smaller outboard boats, but I suppose there are more of them around.

Closed Thread