Old 09-02-2016, 09:08 AM   #1
Guru

'98 Carver 355 twin diesel for sale

I'm putting my boat "Flyin Low" up for sale. The admiral wants to land cruise.

It's a 1998 Cummins powered Carver 355 aft cabin. Price is $78,000 and includes a 10' Avon inflatable with 8 HP Johnson O/B attached to the swim platform with a Weaver davit system and Weaver Leaver motor mount. The dinghy will plane. The price is firm.

Please visit flyinlowsale.com for detailed information and pictures.

Some quick specs: 39' overall, 13'3" beam, draft 3.5', bridge height is 19'

Cruise speed is 15-17 kts or low cruise at 7.5 kts.

2 stateroom / 2 head layout, aft cabin motor yacht. Swim platform is part of hull.

We spent 5 months northbound on the ICW in '14 and 3 months southbound in '15. The boat is cruise ready.

Contact me by phone, e-mail, or text. Info on flyinlowsale.com

Boat is located at the Harborage Marina in St. Petersburg, FL
Old 09-02-2016, 09:47 AM   #2
Guru

City: gulf coast
Looks very good. One heck of a buy. Too bad its not called a trawler as many people would rather buy some ancient leaky Taiwan boat called a trawler than what you offer.
Old 09-02-2016, 04:32 PM   #3

City: Pensacola, FL
Vessel Name: Sea Triscuit
Vessel Model: Transtar 50'
Live the boat! Looks very clean and well maintained. Of course, my favorite part is the almost hidden box of black box wine, mainly because we keep a supply on our boat as well
Old 09-02-2016, 06:03 PM   #4
Guru

Thanks guys. I kinda hate to sell her, but it's time to move on.

Interesting comment bayview about people buying a "Trawler". That was me 7 years ago when we were looking. After looking at maybe 20 trawlers, many like you said leaky and one was actually sinking, my wife said "If you want me on a boat you're going to have to up the ante". I did and couldn't be happier.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:56 PM   #5
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
GLWS, Tim. It pains me to see you sell but I knew this decision was coming as you alluded to it.

To those looking, I own the slightly revised version of the same boat...the 356...it is basically the same boat with slightly different exterior styling. I will say this boat absolutely NAILS the perfect balance between size and comfort. The way the salon is laid out and combined with the galley makes the boat feel way bigger than it should feel. I get the urge for a bigger boat and then I look at bigger boats and ask myself, "What do I gain with this boat over my own?". And the answer almost every time is....not much...other than a more expensive boat with higher maintenance expenses. You really have to go 45ft+ to get you any significant gain over this boat. It is THAT big and comfortable. Also, about 5% of these boats are built with diesels.

Anyway, anyone looking for a diesel powered comfortable easily handled aft cabin motor yacht, this one is hard to beat!!!
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Old 09-03-2016, 06:51 AM   #6
Guru

Thanks John for the kind words. You nailed my feelings about the boat. I've never owned a big boat until this one and I've never wanted another. My wife and I kicked around the idea of taking the boat to Canada but I could tell her heart was not into it. I've boated the west coast of FL for almost 30 years and after doing the ICW and Chessie, I could not justify the cost of keeping a boat this size and not having the excitement of going new places and meeting new people.

We have a 19' bow rider we keep on a lift on our lake. We use it occasionally to get out into Tampa Bay and also do several of the very neat rivers here in central FL. That will probably be the extent of our future boating. Debbie never really took to boating but she agrees the ICW and Chessie, the way we did it, created memories we'll hold forever. That trip was a bucket list item for me and I was not disappointed.

We are looking at a Class A motor home as our next adventure. Alaska beckons as a future destination, so we'll be active. Active is never an issue with us. We walk 6 miles round trip to Panera Bread on weekends.

The first picture is of Flyin Low on a mooring ball on the York River. Behind her is a sub leaving to go out the Chessie and presumably the Atlantic. The small town there is Yorktown – tons of history here.

The second picture is Debbie on the deck of Flyin Low anchored in Carter’s Creek just off the Tides Inn in VA. My favorite anchorage anywhere.
Attached Thumbnails
1-P1060848.JPG   2-IMG_1153.JPG  
Old 09-03-2016, 05:05 PM   #7

City: North Kingstown, RI
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 III
I would take this boat over a 1980's Taiwanese Tub anyway. It looks clean, has many desirable options and it's priced to sell. I don't think it will be on the market long. Good luck with the sale.
Old 09-03-2016, 11:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

City: Terrell
Vessel Name: Willie Pearl
Vessel Model: Seahorse 54 Sedan
Not sure where the leaky part comes from you could eat chips from my bilge and will run all day on air......Sounds like you've pump your head.........move up from a trawler to a Carver?
Old 09-04-2016, 07:15 AM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlwindham View Post
Not sure where the leaky part comes from you could eat chips from my bilge and will run all day on air......Sounds like you've pump your head.........move up from a trawler to a Carver?
I had 3 sailboat and loved them all. But looking back almost every trip I took the majority of the time I motor sailed. Nothing wrong with that but I seldom ran all day on air.
Old 09-05-2016, 01:08 PM   #10
Guru

City: kemah
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
We are looking at a Class A motor home as our next adventure. Alaska beckons as a future destination, so we'll be active. Active is never an issue with us. We walk 6 miles round trip to Panera Bread on weekends.
If only you had decided this a year from now. Your boat is awesome, but until I am finished refurbishing my taiwan tub...

When you get ready to do the RV's, check into Thousand Trails (TT). It's a camping membership with lots of "preserves" across the country. The vast majority of members are retirees. If it looks good to you, buy from a current member and not from TT or a broker. Go with a platinum membership or higher.
Old 09-05-2016, 03:43 PM   #11
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
But looking back almost every trip I took the majority of the time I motor sailed. Nothing wrong with that but I seldom ran all day on air.
Interesting....Although I really don't have a legitimate bitch against sailboats, on past trips to the Sea of Cortez I saw most "blowboaters" motoring. When I ask some of them "why", they replied that it was either too windy or not enough wind! Boy, those are some of the best reasons I ever heard to buy a trawler!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1779.jpg  
Old 10-28-2016, 09:56 AM   #12
Guru

Well, I've had my boat up for sale for 2 months now. I really thought it would have sold. I've shown it to perhaps 20 different interested people, I consider that a lot. Of all those people 2 have seen it twice.

I can't understand why it hasn't sold. I prep it before every showing and I've had several comments that it shows good. One guy come down from Delaware and said he was disappointed in the cosmetics, but when I questioned him further he forgot Florida boats don't have shiny gel coats like many northern boats. That and he didn't like the small engine room space. But short of that everyone else has given me good comments. Maybe they're being nice, but you kind of get a feeling if the boat is a disappointment and I'm certainly not getting that.

The two that have seen it twice both have contingencies, house or boat has to sell first. Then I had the guy who called after viewing it and said he wanted to buy it, email me an offer to purchase he said and then asked if I would sell it for less. I said no and he said OK, I'll buy it. The email address he gave me was bogus and he didn't return my phone calls. Got a call from him a couple of days later saying he reconsidered and thought he couldn't afford it. I got a call from a young women today who saw the boat 2 weeks ago saying she's having trouble obtaining financing, but is still working a few different angles.

So I'm wondering if I'm attracting the wrong people. I priced it lower than any diesel Carver on the market that I know of, much lower in most cases. I'm selling without a broker and am looking for a quick sale so am willing to take a little less. The boat comes with an Avon hard bottomed dinghy with 8 HP motor. The dinghy planes and is attached to the swim platform with Weaver davits and a weaver leaver motor mount system so the motor doesn't have to be removed every time you stow the dinghy. Not one person I've shown the boat too seem remotely interested in the dinghy.

So I think maybe because of my listing price people think it's comparable to other boats listed at that price. So unbelievably perhaps because of the low listing price, I'm not getting the people that can afford the boat, they're off looking at $100,000 boats.

Comments?
Old 10-28-2016, 10:23 AM   #13
Guru

City: Northport
"So I'm wondering if I'm attracting the wrong people"

No - you are not attracting the wrong people but you are attracting the typical people that call and visit boats. I have sold a few boats recently and screening out potential buyers is a task and a skill that takes a bunch of time. IMHO - I you are to sell the boat it will take at least 50 decent contacts and maybe a dozen or so serious visits unless you just get lucky up front. Of the 50 contacts 30 will be solicitors, scammers or tire kickers only of one type or another. Another 10 or so will be collecting data for their one boat or use. Then you are left with a collection of about 5 who are just getting started and are not nearly far enough along to know what they want of be in a position of purchase.
The last 5 are the ones that may or may not buy the boat but they may be financially stretched , comparing the boat to completely different types and or are too far away or at least think they are too far away.
I know from your posts you will get better at screening quickly but you will need to handle a whole bunch of leads and then more than a dozen 'serious' inquiries before seeing a couple of real offers.
Hope this helps and good luck
Old 10-28-2016, 10:37 AM   #14
Guru

City: Northport
"So I'm wondering if I'm attracting the wrong people."

One more thought.....
When you sell a boat like this it is best to think like a potential buyer and not like a seller. The hardest part is to present the boat to as many serious potential buyers that you can so they can assess the boat.
I do not know how you are advertising the but when I do a quick and simple search (google or bing) for "Carver 355 AC mty for sale" I do not find yours.
Figure out how you can make sure your boat comes up multiple times on any simple reasonable search that someone interested might be attempting and I believe you will get a more targeted response.
Old 10-28-2016, 11:10 AM   #15

just did a quick search on YW for carver 355,about a dozen boats between 96-98 showed up.Price range was from 39-79k.Looked like none were diesels.I realize that diesels are worth more to the right buyer,but how much someone is willing to pay is subjective.Hopefully,the right buyer will show up for you.
Old 10-28-2016, 12:18 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinped View Post
I realize that diesels are worth more to the right buyer,but how much someone is willing to pay is subjective.Hopefully,the right buyer will show up for you.
Someone that doesn't know the higher value of diesel powered will not be a prospective buyer.

I've had some lookers interested in a dock queen. For them my boat is a waste of money.
Old 10-28-2016, 12:28 PM   #17
Guru

Thanks Smitty for your remarks. You've given me more confidence that I can not only sell the boat myself, but that I've priced it right. All the lookers you described I've had. I was unrealistic to expect a quick sale.

Concerning exposure, you're right. I did not get my boat to come up on a Google search. I've got to research that. I currently have the boat listed on boattrader and on craigs list. I just expanded my craigs list area yesterday to 4 additional markets in FL and have gotten some response already. I may list it in the Galveston, TX and Charleston area also.
Old 10-28-2016, 12:32 PM   #18

Someone that doesn't know the higher value of diesel powered will not be a prospective buyer.

That's most likely what you have encountered in prospective buyers.If their intended use is just a weekender,then diesels to them just mean more money.I just sold my 35 express cruiser,and at 35 foot,you are on the dividing line as to a weekender/longer distance(think diesel) cruiser.If you are not in a rush,stay the course,and someone will pay a premium for the diesels,otherwise you might have to consider a lower price.
Old 10-28-2016, 12:46 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinped View Post

That's most likely what you have encountered in prospective buyers.
Yes very true though not all. Some said they are specifically looking at diesel power.
I think Smitty has it right, I've just not come across the right buyer, it just takes time. A lot of tire kickers out there, and it's funny you can usually tell within the first 5 minutes.

Another issue I'm wrestling with is how much to tell a prospective buyer. I've been telling them everything I've done to the boat mechanically, like multi-stage filtration, squeeze bulb priming system, up graded sea max raw water pumps, borel raw water alarm, fresh water flush, boost gauges and why, and more. I think I've actually scared off some prospects making them think this may be to complicated.

I did have a couple look at it early on and the wife took as much time looking at my maintenance records as she did the boat. My kind of first mate!! I'm still hopeful about them, but they have a house to sell first.

Anyway, I'm thinking of toning down the mechanics and focusing on the inside cosmetics and entertainment systems.
Old 10-28-2016, 12:46 PM   #20

Also,it is still a buyers market out there. Our boat had a book value of 98k,and was seven years old in mint condition, low hours. Had it on the market with two brokers for a year at their recommended price, and nothing. Wound up, after figuring in sales commission at 10%, winterization costs, maintainence, and then a slip the following season, I listed it privately at 78k,sold in two days for 74.