Old 07-31-2014, 02:41 PM   #1

City: Eliot, ME
Vessel Name: HighFalutin
Vessel Model: 2000 Mainship 390T
91 sabreline 34 flybridge

I am looking to move from sailboat to trawler and saw a link for a Sabreline 34 flybridge in Maine for $78k. I was reading up and saw that the boat has been listed for a long time and I was looking for feedback if there is any about it before I go to see it.

ricktara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 03:44 PM   #2
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricktara View Post
I am looking to move from sailboat to trawler and saw a link for a Sabreline 34 flybridge in Maine for $78k. I was reading up and saw that the boat has been listed for a long time and I was looking for feedback if there is any about it before I go to see it.
Used to be one in our marina...now for sale in Muskegan, Mi $114,900 (on Yacht World). Believe the engines on that one are also @ roughly 4,000 hrs...originally a salt water boat...done the loop at least once. Blue hull on that one is also a little faded. These boats are in the "down east" style so not exactly of the "trawler" ilk. Fairly narrow beam, fairly fast planning hull. Older couple lived aboard the one in Michigan during summer months. Seemed reasonably comfortable for two people, although certainly not spacious. Looked a little "tippy" with the flybridge stacked on top, but rode OK tied to the dock. Never was aboard while underway. I always thought the engine exhaust was unusually (annoyingly) blatty and loud...not sure how the mufflers are designed. I spent some time in the engine compartment addressing a leak in the holding tank system...spaces are very tight. Seemed to be a well built boat, but surprisingly not of a quality that I had expected from the name Sabreline.

Underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 04:21 PM   #3
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: The Caroliner
Vessel Model: Plans to build 30' Spira Sitka
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricktara View Post

This is how I would go about it with the boat as you describe.There's a reason it's been on the market so long without selling.I would find a good marine surveyor.I would ask him do an in depth review of everything about the boat, and give you a written report for negotiating a price.If you honestly feel that you can handle any problems that maybe there,then make a really low ball offer and see how the owner responds.Again,this is how I would go about it.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote