Old 04-18-2013, 07:19 AM   #21
Ben
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Sand Castle
Vessel Model: 1986 MT Sundeck 35.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsong View Post
Both the 47 POC's linked above need work. I've been on a few...not your typical defever trawler at all but a nice cabin layout. Lack of door @ lower helm and no exterior space aft to speak of always ruled this boat model out for me as a contender. Layout inside is nice though IMO.
Though I'm loathe to return to big fuel drinkers (two Sea Rays in a former age), this baby would be nice when you need to outrun weather, and do well at trawler speed.

What I do not know to the decimal, is how much thirst twin cats have at trawler speed. Anyone have experience with that?

For the moment I'm happy with my single Lehman and 35 foot dockage rates, but would be giddy if I could do 20 knots from time to time in short bursts. And have the room on 47 feet.

MV Sand Castle
Wilmington, NC
Old 04-18-2013, 09:21 AM   #22
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse
Those 3208's at 7 or 7.5 knots ought to only burn around 5-6 GPH (combined). With a beast of a 20KW generator I bet that the gennie is pretty thirtsy though, relatively speaking! One of my good friends has a 48 jefferson CPMY with twin 3208's and he burns around 5-6 at 7 to 7.5 knots. Ability to have some speed now and again is not such a bad thing.
I do like the interior layout of the 47. Like I said, my biggest gripe was lack of outdoor lounging areas...it is pretty much an inside type boat but if you are in cold climates would not be a problem but if you are in hot climates you'd be expecting to put lots of hours on the generator to keep things cooled down inside. The ones I have been on essentially had the aft deck area functioning as an additional enclosed salon with full HVAC, etc. just like the main salon.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:37 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Look at the video. The pics are deceiving - this boat needs quite a bit of work. Neglected. Not boneyard, just needs time and muscle.
Now the price makes more sense. I don't think you could find a turn-key 47 footer for that price. Not even close. But IMO these boats still represent great value - so long as you like sundecks.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:56 AM   #24
Guru

City: somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsong View Post
Those 3208's at 7 or 7.5 knots ought to only burn around 5-6 GPH (combined). With a beast of a 20KW generator I bet that the gennie is pretty thirtsy though, relatively speaking! One of my good friends has a 48 jefferson CPMY with twin 3208's and he burns around 5-6 at 7 to 7.5 knots. Ability to have some speed now and again is not such a bad thing.
I do like the interior layout of the 47. Like I said, my biggest gripe was lack of outdoor lounging areas...it is pretty much an inside type boat but if you are in cold climates would not be a problem but if you are in hot climates you'd be expecting to put lots of hours on the generator to keep things cooled down inside. The ones I have been on essentially had the aft deck area functioning as an additional enclosed salon with full HVAC, etc. just like the main salon.
Maybe I'm wrong but the flybridge area with the hardtop could be screened/ eisenglassed in for some great outdoor areas.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:36 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum29 View Post
Maybe I'm wrong but the flybridge area with the hardtop could be screened/ eisenglassed in for some great outdoor areas.
I think what Woodsong meant by outdoor area is an area that is open, no roof or eisenglass, somewhere he can have breakfast al-fresca or sunbathe in his speedos (Australian or European style). Right Woodsong?
Old 04-18-2013, 10:45 AM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahal View Post

I think what Woodsong meant by outdoor area is an area that is open, no roof or eisenglass, somewhere he can have breakfast al-fresca or sunbathe in his speedos (Australian or European style). Right Woodsong?
Here in Florida, shade is a given unless you want to be shriveled up shoe leather.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:53 AM   #27
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
I have no flybridge cover and I bet I get more sun than FL. I'm also not shoe leather.

What does POC stand for? Piece Of Crap?
Old 04-18-2013, 01:27 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capthead View Post
I have no flybridge cover and I bet I get more sun than FL. I'm also not shoe leather.

What does POC stand for? Piece Of Crap?
I envy you.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:50 PM   #29
Guru

I lived in Ft. Lauderdale and Hollywood, FL. It gets very hot there and I totally understand needing shade, by the way. I wasn't bragging either. I think our low humidity is a plus here and it lets you enjoy the sun most days. We do get those extremely hot days however and most boats here have a Bimini.

Still don't know what a POC is. Also, that isn't what I think of when I hear Defever. That's more of a condo on the water to me.

Incidentally, Art Defever had a boat built for him and he owned a mooring in Avalon Harbor at Catalina Island. One of my best friends would spend time with him aboard his boat. He sold it last year and he was over 90 and still boating then.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:58 PM   #30
Guru

POC = performance offshore cruiser
Old 04-18-2013, 02:12 PM   #31
Guru

Thanks
Old 04-24-2013, 01:02 PM   #32
Veteran Member

City: Clear Lake - Texas
Correct, POC is Performance Offshore Cruiser. These boats were designed by Arthur DeFever and built by the Sen Koh yard in Taiwan. Most all were built with a cored hull using Divinycell (sp?) coring.

DeFever boats are different from many others as while they were all designed by the same man they were built in many different yards. Therefore there are different levels of quality. Some were built in the US, Mexico, Taiwan, China......

It's my opinion that the boats built by CTF in Taiwan and the current builder POCTA in China produced the best, true DeFever boats.

BTW, Arthur DeFever recently died in San Diego on April 10, 2013.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:53 PM   #33
Guru

Just talked to the broker on the one in Daytona Beach. He said that it's been sitting for 3-4 years, the owner passed and it needs $30-$40K worth of work.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:53 PM   #34

City: Anchor Pointe, Ohio
Vessel Name: Sea Moose
Vessel Model: 1976 34' D/C Taiwanese Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum29 View Post
Just talked to the broker on the one in Daytona Beach. He said that it's been sitting for 3-4 years, the owner passed and it needs $30-$40K worth of work.
$30-$40K in a BoatYard means $10K for someone who knows what they are doing, unless it's shaft/strut work or things like rebuilding transmissions.

I do find the low fuel figures for 2 stroke Diesels suspect, and of course the rule of thumb for 3208's is rebuild at three to four thousand hours.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:16 PM   #35

The D D in one of our fire trucks had over 15000 hours on it without ever being touched, ran either wide open or idle for hours.

Closed Thread