Old 01-12-2013, 09:16 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Mandurah
Vessel Name: Blu Tug
Vessel Model: R27 Ranger Tug
44-49 Defever

Hi all,
After being a lerker finally our house has sold we are looking for a stabilized 44 - 49 ' Defever to live aboard and cruise Australia,New Zealand etc...
Our budget would be between 200-250 k.
Any help would be appreciated
Cheers
Peter & Ronie
Old 01-12-2013, 09:58 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Hi, Peter, where are you? It is always a good idea to give as much info about yourself, in terms of boating experience, what you want to do with your vessel. And where you are based for us to be able to make any sensible suggestions. Anyway, welcome. I am based in Brisbane, with my boat at Horizon Shores just south of here. We did have a De Fever 49 for sale at the marina recently, but I know nothing else about it.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Hi Peter,
As stated in my first thread living aboard cruising around Australia , New Zealand etc....
As for experiance i grew us playing on canoes and small yachts later power fish boats when working in the pilbara these were fast offshore 28-36 '
I have helped on crewing a 38' wooden hull boat around Perth and Rottenest.
I have a recreational skippers ticket and vhf dsc radio operators license,also been self studying coastal navigation
Having always wanted to retire on the water
Hope this helps
Cheers
Peter & Ronie B
Old 01-13-2013, 01:01 AM   #4

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Name: Paloma
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
I would recommend you spend time on Yachtworld.com, in my opinion one of the best sources to shop for boats. It was instrumental in our 1.5 year search for our 45 that we live on.
We love the 49 Defever. We went with a 45 Bayliner as is provided us easier access on and off the boat for us and our 55 pound Golden Retriever, Tasha. Access at a dock is one thing, but when on the hook, access to and from the tender was critical to getting her ashore for her business. She has to be near us all the time so access to every where on the boat was also critical. The Bayliner offered us all that plus a great layout.

Good luck in your search. Looking is as much fun as owning. All the best.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:34 AM   #5
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Flora
Vessel Model: Timber southern cray boat
Peter,
DeFever 48 ect are a bit hard to come by in Aus.
There are a couple of vG ones around. One in Mooloolaba with fairly new 4 cyl JDs (woodie) but well done and no stabs.
Pee Wee from the Deltones had a 52 ft that is around some where and was an excellent boat.
Peter Hansen in Mackay has a Glass RPH boat with a gardner 6LXB that is a pretty nice boat. I have had a casual look at this boat and liked it. has been on the market for a while.
Karanel is a timber converted trawler in Bundy that also springs to mind.
Probably one of the best conversions I have seen, nice boat , go any where. Worth a look.
250k limit makes it a bit hard for a go anywhere boat but they are around.
As you well know Boatpoint Aus is a good starting point.
You have to be very careful with what you bring in from the USA especially after the big storms. There is a lot of hidden damage out there.
Cheers
Benn
Old 01-13-2013, 02:37 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Thanks papa charlie,
We have been searching for boats on that site and many others as the house had been on the market 2 1/2 years so i have spent many hours looking and learning on this and other forums. As for dogs sorry my wife and i are allegic to dogs but we will be taking our cat on board with us We have also been in contact with brokers so they are looking too
Cheers
Peter & Ronie B
Old 01-13-2013, 02:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Thanks Benn,
We are very aware of the problems importing but as you state not much here in Australia. While i love the ambiance of wooden boats The wife wouldn't step foot on one . We will look into those boats thanks Benn
Cheers
Peter & Ronie B
Old 01-13-2013, 09:24 AM   #8
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Many US boats are being shipped to Australia. Even with the duties the price can be right. One OZ owner (Insequent) on this site is in Seattle and readying his OA for shipment to down under.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:07 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Hi,
Benn and Peter B,
After looking at Peter Hansen's website i found a nice looking 44 ocean alexander in Raby Bay,so might save the hassle of buying over seas
Still getting more info about it So will keep you both posted
Cheers
Peter & Ronie B
Old 01-14-2013, 04:53 PM   #10
Guru

Blunda,
Had a quick look at that OA on peter hansen Raby Bay site and I don't like to be a naysayer but they are stretching a oint calling it a full displacement cruiser.
Just cause it has low power and won't get up on the plane doesn't make it so.
Also look at fuel capacity, probably a bit low for passagemaker especially with twins.
Being a sundecker and with all that glass I would be loath to take it offshore.
Terrific boat for cruising the east coast etc and for a live aboard in the marina.
Those sundeckers are also a bit of a pita for comming alongside and letting go in the marina.A fishing cockpit on these makes all the difference.
Peter hansen also has another web site Peter hansen mackay the other boat I mentioned is listed there.
Just my opinion for what it is worth.
Cheers
Benn
Old 01-14-2013, 05:29 PM   #11
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Would a GB42 do the job? Too small? Proven boat,available, price should be ok. Or an IG 44 Europa,advertised at Brooklyn near Sydney.Just a thought.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:57 PM   #12
Guru

Bruce,
I saw recently, and mentioned elsewhere a GB 42 in Tassie, single engine with a Gardner 6LXB. Now that would be a nice boat. gardner apparently fitted from new.
Cheers
Benn
Old 01-15-2013, 12:42 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidahapah View Post
Bruce,
I saw recently, and mentioned elsewhere a GB 42 in Tassie, single engine with a Gardner 6LXB. Now that would be a nice boat. gardner apparently fitted from new.
Cheers
Benn
Benn,it would indeed. While making suggestions, not sure I`d motor a GB 42 or IG 44 across the Tasman Sea, though there is a GB 36 (Trader design) for sale, has been for a looong while, claimed to have motored from Singapore. Far too small for the OP, interesting nevertheless.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:53 AM   #14
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
If you're crossing from Tasmania to the mainland you would be crossing Bass strait wouldn't you? It seems on a map to be about 300 miles but I agree, open ocean effectively would be a daunting voyage.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:04 AM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
If you're crossing from Tasmania to the mainland you would be crossing Bass strait wouldn't you? It seems on a map to be about 300 miles but I agree, open ocean effectively would be a daunting voyage.
Bass Strait has an unpleasant reputation,it is where the Sydney Hobart race competitors usually get hit by some nasty weather.There is nothing between Tasmania and the Antarctic.
However,the OP was wanting to cruise Australia and New Zealand. The body of water crossed between Australia and New Zealand is the Tasman Sea, which can also be nasty. It is known locally as "The Ditch", as in "crossing the ditch" ( though most New Zealanders would pronounce it "dutch").
Old 01-15-2013, 01:22 AM   #16
Guru

Bruce having done the Tassie crossing often enough, although in tankers etc.
It can with careful planing be a relatitively easy trip.
There are some good anchorages among the islands on the way and with Lakes Entrance and Refuge Cove down the track some good safe places to start out from.
A friend of mine recently sold his 44 ' timber cruiser to someone down there so he and his wife delivered it as part of the deal.

Now the Ditch can be a comletely different stretch of water but people have done it in all kinds of motor vessels including Rivs. (each to his own).
It is always nice to discuss these options and hopfully will be able to talk from first hand experience sometime in the future.
Cheers
Benn
Old 01-15-2013, 04:02 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Thanks guys,
Found a nice Defever 44 on www.1worldyacht.com with the exchange rate as it is now looks like it might be a worthwhile buy ???
Dheers
Peter & Ronie B
Old 01-15-2013, 04:25 AM   #18
Guru

Peter,
You and Ronnie going over to have a look at it? or just get a surveyor to do the whole inspection thing.
With previous imports that friends have done the surveyor has also employed a good diesel mechanic to give the engines a full check over and also supplied a full video inspection.
I don't know what ship transport is now but the last game boat a 48' was approx 50k plus the import duty etc
I assume it is the 44 Sundecker.
It is a buyers market over there , same as here but just a whole lot more boats for sale.

Hope you have some success with it.
Cheers
Benn
Old 01-15-2013, 04:44 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Hi Benn,
We are planning to get it all done through a broker and they have told us that they do all the things you mentioned as in survey etc we also have a friend in Canada whi travels to Florida who is a marine engineer so he will also check it out on out behalf
Cheers
Peter & Ronie B
Old 01-15-2013, 07:55 AM   #20
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Thanks for the clarification. Ah...Just a glance at a world map.....Oh my!!!