Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 11:16 AM   #1
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
36 GB twin 4cyl $30000 in SE AK

It's a woodie in Craig Alaska w twin 4 cyl engines. I'm quite sure they are Lehman's. The boat is said to be in very good shape. I'll see the boat soon and have more information. I think it's just a "gotta move it" situation.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:02 PM   #2
Scraping Paint

City: -
American Marine used the 4-cylinder Ford Lehman in a few GB36s in the early woody days. I believe they are 90 hp. Basically the same as the FL120 with two less cylinders.

A woody can be a whole lot of work, particularly in this climate. If one is able to keep it in a boathouse that's a major help in keeping the boat in good condition. Almost everyone I have met with a GB woody in nice shape keeps it inside The ones I've seen outside tend to be in rougher shape and seem to require a lot more time and effort on the part of their owners to keep them up.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:27 PM   #3
Guru

Thanks for chime'in in Marin.
All a givin though. It may be a scream'in deal. I sorta know the owner. He also own's my fathers old boat (a lobster type) the Islander (formerly the Free at Last). Dad had it built in Maine using Airex Foam construction. It's also for sale and an excellent buy at $65K. I'll look next time we go to Craig........prolly very soon.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:36 PM   #4
Guru

Saw the owner's wife yesterday and it seems this boat is powered by Perkins engines and I think they are 60 hp. Should be a very economical twin engined cruiser. I was going to walk the dock and take a pic but she said it was covered.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:21 PM   #5
Scraping Paint

Be interesting to know if this is a repower or if American Marine built it that way. The engines most used by AM in the early days were Lehman (6 and 4 cylinder) and Ammarine, which were marinzed John Deeres. But a buyer might have specified the Perkins, or perhaps if it's a very early woody AM might have tried it out on their own.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:32 PM   #6
Guru

I suspect it was speced that way. Probably some guy didn't like Lehmans or the buyer wanted twin engines w the same power of the single. Twin 60s is 120 hp. That's the way I would have done it. We're going to town today to get oil and filters so I'll go down to the south her and see if anybody's there.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:46 AM   #7
Guru

Sa the wife Micky working in the store and she said he was out fishing w the Islander. Going back to Craig Wednesday ...will try again.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:27 AM   #8
Guru

Failed again. Even forgot my camera. Saw the owner and he said he was going to uncover the GB yesterday but it was a bit windy..........
So next week..........should have pics.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:31 PM   #9
Guru

Got some pics and the boat was the 9th built (I think). It's got 87hp Perkins engines. I think they are 235 cu in. The same engine that was installed in the 36' Willard. It was a big boat. The decks on this GB are new and Brad says the boat dos'nt leak and I think he was talking about the cabins ...not the hull. I have not been aboard and he still has'nt got the tarps off. I'm disgusted w this downsizing issue. Too time consuming. I'll probably just stop posting pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	varwwwclientsclient1web2tmpphp5axVVM.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	11194  
Old 05-03-2012, 09:57 PM   #10
Scraping Paint

That is one old GB36. It doesn't even have the engine air intakes on the outside of the bulwarks like most GB woodies. Also the safety lines along the sides instead of handrails is a first-generation GB feature. I'm betting it has the step down aft deck like the GB32. They used this on the first GB36s and then dropped it in favor of a one-level main deck all around. Does the boat have a mast and boom stored somewhere or are they missing?

IIRC the early GB36s have the galley across the back of the main cabin instead of along the port side. Based on the one boat I've been on that had this arrangement, I thought it was a less-than-ideal use of space.

The early GB36 woodies had a cabin door on each side of the helm. The port door was eliminated when they moved the galley to this side of the boat. It's hard to tell in the photo if this boat has the portside door or not.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:48 AM   #11
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
I'm disgusted w this downsizing issue. Too time consuming. I'll probably just stop posting pics.
Something has changed, at least on my computer running Firefox. If I click on Albi the Ipana dog, the picture does come up larger.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:34 AM   #12
Guru

dwhatty,
It's mostly my new camera .....takes 6MB pictures. It makes posting pics a lot of trouble. As far as I know (and I know very little) I need to downsize each picture one at a time before I can get it to post on TF.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:39 PM   #13
Scraping Paint

Eric-- There is a size limit to photos that can be attached to a post. The size limits are listed at the bottom of the attachments page if you hit the "manage attachments" button under a post. The size limit for a jpeg is 195 kb, which is really small. The original forum accepted photos that were much larger. I resize photos in Photoshop, which is very easy once you know how to do it.

So your 6mb photo has to be resized down a lot to fit the forum's size limitation. And yes, so far as I know you have to resize each photo individually.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:15 PM   #14
Guru

Well Marin it appears the limit is over 1MB as that picture of the GB is over 1MB. I reduced it to 1MB and it posted. It was over 3MB on my computer as imported from the camera. If we were on the old site I would have posted several other pictures.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:31 PM   #15
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Eric, check out your camera specs. Most have the option of reducing the size of the image as it's being captured....fine to standard or such wording. You may be able to get the original image below 1meg.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Old 05-04-2012, 08:24 PM   #16
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Well Marin it appears the limit is over 1MB as that picture of the GB is over 1MB. I reduced it to 1MB and it posted. It was over 3MB on my computer as imported from the camera. If we were on the old site I would have posted several other pictures.
It may be that the forum software compresses whatever you send it down to 195 kb max. I don't know how it's set up other than the maximum size for a jpeg attachment is stated to be 195 kb in the chart on the attachments page.

Closed Thread