• Trawler Forum Classified Posting Guidelines
    • We expect ads placed to be related to the topic of this forum.
    • Ads that are inactive for 180 days or longer may be moved to the Classified Archive and locked. Ads may be relisted if the item is still current. Alternatively, owners may contact a Moderator to reinstate an archived ad.
    • The Classified section is for advertising, members are asked to refrain from posting discussions to a Classified Ad. Please start a discussion thread or PM the owner for discussions.
    • Do not hijack another member's ad by posting unsolicited commentary. Example: if a member has posted an ad offering an anchor for sale, don't add a post to his thread stating that you have an anchor you'd like to get rid of also. Posts deemed as unsolicited commentary may be removed.
    • For your own security, do NOT include your e-mail or phone number in your ad. Instead request that interested parties contact you via PM (private message) to provide owners contact info.
    • Brokers, Dealers, or those with a commercial interest in a sale are prohibited from posting in Classifieds.
    • Only Trawler Forum Commercial Members may post ads in the Commercial section. You must be a designated Commercial Member to start threads in this section of the forum. (Contact a moderator if you have questions about this)
    • Don't post links to commercial sites where you are also offering the boat, such as eBay, Craigslist or Yachtworld, etc. unless it contains a more in-depth description, additional information or pictures.
    • Place only one ad per item (you may repost only when your ad has expired and been removed).
    For Sale ads MUST include:
    • Asking price
    • Clear statement whether you are the owner or non-owner (posting for friend, relative, or acquaintance)
    • Don't forget to select: FOR SALE, WANTED or FREE in the Title block.
    All ads should also include ALL the following:
    • Pertinent maintenance and condition information
    • Exterior picture or pictures
    • Interior picture or pictures (boats)
    For maximum impact & exposure, it is suggested the Ad Title include: Year, Manufacturer, Model, Length, Price, and Location or at the very top of the ad body. When your item has sold or the ad is no longer relevant: Please post a Reply to the ad that the item is SOLD or click "Report Post" on post 1 of the thread to ask a moderator to archive the ad. Ads may be moved or removed by our staff at any time for any reason. All ads must comply with site rules. Thanks for your cooperation.
  • Avoid Scams.

Our classifieds are free and anyone registered here is welcome to post an ad.
    Be aware that there are unscrupulous folks out there. Avoid any interaction that seems odd to you or �feels� wrong. Inquiries from unknown buyers, buyers �agents� and other non-traditional approaches should be treated with extreme caution.

Beware of unsolicited contacts offering to put you in touch with someone else who is buying or selling via e-mail or text.

Do not post your e-mail address or phone number in a classifieds ad.

Hints that you may be dealing with a Scammer:
    • Seller or Buyer approaches you via a direct email or PM and then steers you to an off-site communication method (text or email).
    • No posts or very few forum posts.
    • Recent forum membership
    • Insists on conducting negotiations via email or text rather than PM
    • Requires payment via Bank Transfer, BitCoin/CryptoCurrency, WesternUnion or other unsecured method.
    • Buyer or Seller suggests Paypal "Friends and Family" payment. Paypal is a good way to arrange payment but an invoice for goods and services should be used rather than "Friends and Family". "Friends and Family" avoids fees BUT there is no recourse if the transaction runs aground. Friends and Family is for gifts only. There is no protection for Friends and Family transactions, so never ever use it to buy something.
    • Declines to allow viewing the item before proceeding with the transaction.

36 ft KROGEN MANATEE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't speak for California but the Manatee is not a popular boat model up here (PNW). In the 14 years I've been involved with diesel cruising I have seen exactly two of them. One lives in our marina and never seems to go anywhere and the other was on the guest dock for a few days a number of years ago.

Why the Manatee is not popular in our waters could be, I'm sure, the subject of another never-ending thread. :) SFO Bay could be a different story, however, I don't know.

I like the manatees. Lots of room for a 36' boat, although my looking is admittedly all via photos.

I think they would make a great boat for the inside passage. Calm waters for the most part. They probably just didn't market them well in the PACNW. The Bayliners, Tollys, and Uniflites were all local built boats with a strong presence in this area.

BRUTUS, The 36 ft Krogen Manatee

Brutus is for Sale...Survey in hand..VESSEL IS TOTALLY SOLID...WOULD LIKE TO INVITE ANYONE TO SEE BRUTUS..With only "400 Hours" and the inside is like BRAND NEW...Please come and see it , and then write , what you have viewed...Thank You to ALL , and have a wonderful summer and SAFE TO ALL AT SEA...Bily

I think they would make a great boat for the inside passage. Calm waters for the most part. They probably just didn't market them well in the PACNW. The Bayliners, Tollys, and Uniflites were all local built boats with a strong presence in this area.

The Manatee appears to be a poor configuration for docking at the typical bullrail docks we have up here. No side deck access and no fast path from the aft deck to the foredeck. If or when we are ever in the market for a different boat we would not consider any that did not have a full walk around main deck. The main deck and relatively low freeboard of the GB are two of its major advantages in our opinion, at least in the kind of boating and docking we do up here.

The Manatee appears to be a poor configuration for docking at the typical bullrail docks we have up here. No side deck access and no fast path from the aft deck to the foredeck. If or when we are ever in the market for a different boat we would not consider any that did not have a full walk around main deck. The main deck and relatively low freeboard of the GB are two of its major advantages in our opinion, at least in the kind of boating and docking we do up here.

Interesting thought.

Here's another prespective...

I do the same kind of docking in Alaska as you are describing.

I've never had a boat with a full walk around deck, and never really wanted one. I've always been happy with the tradeoff of a much larger salon vs nice side decks.

I suppose that in a stiff wind blowing you away from the dock singlehanded operation might be a bit of a challenge, but with two people its a no rush situation. Secure the aft, power into the dock, and secure the bow.

Everyone learns to cope with what they have. Boaters with no or minimal side decks learn to deal with it. Our smaller boat has no side deck to speak of and no easy access to the foredeck and we d

Last edited:
That's very much different to how we do it but perhaps you have a bow thruster.

You're getting blown away from the dock.

You pull up, and the line handler steps onto the dock from the swim platform, securing the line.

Then opposite to the dock engine in foward and the aft line helps pull the boat in.

I nearly always pull up against the dock (of any design) broadside (in a slow forward motion with fenders in place) and then quickly stall the boat's forward moving momentum by shifts and throttle as necessary. We immediately place a short spring line. From that point front and rear line attachments are paint-by-number. With twin screw a boat can be made to do almost any maneuver desired. Short of really strong winds and/or current in process... even then if you get broadside for a short spring line attachment the remainder of berthing tie-up is easy! :dance:

:dance: Side decks? I love 'em. :dance: Love my 360-degree deck. :dance:

img_90787_0_674951fcb770746c461a6f2f5f80fbc6.jpg

The main deck and relatively low freeboard of the GB are two of its major advantages in our opinion, at least in the kind of boating and docking we do up here.

??? GBs' freeboard is much higher than the Coot's. We step onto the boat: no need for stairs.

img_90789_0_fad3b1b3e9c848ed110c24893c9a6bed.jpg

You're getting blown away from the dock.

You pull up, and the line handler steps onto the dock from the swim platform, securing the line.

Then opposite to the dock engine in foward and the aft line helps pull the boat in.

As I said, we do it totally differently. We dock the boat like we dock the Beaver---- bow in at an angle right up to the dock, swing the stern in with opposing thrust and rudder, person steps to the dock with the midships aft spring, secures it, and we pin the boat to the dock with rudder away from the dock and inboard engine in forward. Works every time in any wind.

If you understand line handling and spring lines...a singlehandler can dock almost anything...the one exception is when something (wind/current) is moving the boat just to fast for you to get from the wheel/controls to the line/cleat that you are trying to secure.

For Bily...what boats are LISTED for aren't even CLOSE to what they are SELLING for....ALL OVER......with a few exceptions....:socool:

??? GBs' freeboard is much higher than the Coot's. We step onto the boat: no need for stairs.

I dunno. The distance from the dock to your gunwale in your photo looks the same as or even more than from the dock to our gunwale at our boarding gate. But compared to a lot of boats, both our boats have considerably less vertical distance to cover to step aboard. Course our floating docks up here tend to be higher than the thin floats used in many marinas elsewhere, so that helps, too.

Attachments

• Refuge.jpg
    Refuge.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 80
Yeah, that dock you're parked at looks to be relatively tall.

Yeah, that dock you're parked at looks to be relatively tall.

It was, as are most of the heavily built bullrail docks up here. Same thing in the photo below. So that definitely makes it easier to step aboard. But our GB (the hulls got taller after 1988) does have relatively low freeboard aft compared to many if not most other production boats of similar size.

Attachments

• La Perouse Port Browning.jpg
    La Perouse Port Browning.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 88
From Bily...To all, That have nothing nice to say !

TO EACH HIS OWN ...Just think, ONE BOAT, ONE COLOR, ONE TYPE OF AUTO..But what we don't do is say bad thing about ONES CHOICES Dear Marin.and all that read this .I can, but "WON'T" tell you many things that they say about GB..

I wish you well and always SAFETY AT SEA...

Regards Bily

I can, but "WON'T" tell you many things that they say about GB..

I've probably heard them all already. While we have one it's not our favorite boat, either. But it serves the purpose we need it to serve, at least right now.

The Manatee serves its purpose, too, for the people who want or need that kind of interior volume and who don't need the attributes it doesn't have. So I'm not saying it's a bad boat, just that it doesn't seem a good fit for the kind of boating we have up here. Just as the GB would be a poor fit for someone who wants to do long range, open ocean cruising.

I suspect that were your boat located on the east coast you would have a much better chance of selling it sooner rather than later as it seems a good configuration for the ICW, Loop, etc.

I've probably heard them all already. While we have one it's not our favorite boat, either. But it serves the purpose we need it to serve, at least right now.

The Manatee serves its purpose, too, for the people who want or need that kind of interior volume and who don't need the attributes it doesn't have. So I'm not saying it's a bad boat, just that it doesn't seem a good fit for the kind of boating we have up here. Just as the GB would be a poor fit for someone who wants to do long range, open ocean cruising.

I suspect that were your boat located on the east coast you would have a much better chance of selling it sooner rather than later as it seems a good configuration for the ICW, Loop, etc.

A manatee would be a great loop boat.

Marin, while you're considering boats, you seem to have a soft spot for pilothouse boats, with some speed capability.

Have you ever looked at, I mean seriously examined, a Bayliner 4788. They are an extremely popular pilothouse boat that can cruise at 15 knots. Forget the name, and just look at the boat. They're not the same quality as the small ski boats. A whole different category indeed.

Have you ever looked at, I mean seriously examined, a Bayliner 4788.
No. As I've said before, I don't care for what I call the "cabin cruiser" look. I like boats that have at least a degree of "workboat" in their lines. Bayiners, Tollycrafts, Uniflites, Carvers, etc., etc., etc. have no aesthetic appeal to me at all. My wife feels the same way.

This has nothing at all to do with their capabilities or build qualities. Like cars, I have no interest in owning a boat that doesn't possess the kind of aesthetics I like. The GB is certainly not ideal in this respect, but it does have a degree of the look we like. Bayliners, etc. do not.

I don't think they're ugly, I don't think they're good looking. They just are. Like Honda four-door sedans, Bayliners et al have no visual aspects that attract my attention. Large or small I don't notice them in the marina, in the yard, or out on the water (other than something not to run in to :) )

They are not boats that I see and think, "That's a cool looking boat," which is what I think when I see Carey's lobsterboat, Mark's Coot, Keith's Krogen, or Eric's Willard to name some on this forum. Or higher up the price scale a Fleming 55 or a deFever 46 (both of which share the same basic deFever design), or a Victory Tug.

The Bayiners, Tollys, Uniflites, Carvers, etc. are all great boats for people who like that style of boat and I don't hesitate to suggest them--- particularly Tollycraft---- as possibilities for people looking to get into a cruising boat. But they're not for us.

Last edited:
No. As I've said before, I don't care for what I call the "cabin cruiser" look. I like boats that have at least a degree of "workboat" in their lines. Bayiners, Tollycrafts, Uniflites, Carvers, etc., etc., etc. have no aesthetic appeal to me at all. My wife feels the same way.

This has nothing at all to do with their capabilities or build qualities. Like cars, I have no interest in owning a boat that doesn't possess the kind of aesthetics I like. The GB is certainly not ideal in this respect, but it does have a degree of the look we like. Bayliners, etc. do not.

I don't think they're ugly, I don't think they're good looking. They just are. Like Honda four-door sedans, Bayliners et al have no visual aspects that attract my attention. Large or small I don't notice them in the marina, in the yard, or out on the water (other than something not to run in to :) )

They are not boats that I see and think, "That's a cool looking boat," which is what I think when I see Carey's lobsterboat, Mark's Coot, Keith's Krogen, or Eric's Willard to name some on this forum. Or higher up the price scale a Fleming 55 or a deFever 46 (both of which share the same basic deFever design), or a Victory Tug.

The Bayiners, Tollys, Uniflites, Carvers, etc. are all great boats for people who like that style of boat and I don't hesitate to suggest them--- particularly Tollycraft---- as possibilities for people looking to get into a cruising boat. But they're not for us.

You know, I have to agree. There's something about the lines of say a Krogen 42 or the older Nordhavn designs that just says "salty" to me.

Krogen designs are nice. The only Nordhavn I think is at all good looking is the older Nordhavn 50. And even that looks a big awkward to me (there is one on the next dock over from us.) But all the other Nordhavn models leave me cold in terms of their aesthetics, particularly the ones with forward-raked pilothouse windows.

I know of one in Alameda

This boat is in constant use. It was sort of a contest between the two of us as to who used their boat the most. I think the problem with these boats is their strange appearance. You have to understand how functional they are to fall in love with one. The same thing applies to the Whale Back, if your not a knowledgeable of blue water boats they are strange looking, not a lot of curb appeal. In my humble opinion.

This boat is in constant use. It was sort of a contest between the two of us as to who used their boat the most. I think the problem with these boats is their strange appearance. You have to understand how functional they are to fall in love with one. The same thing applies to the Whale Back, if your not a knowledgeable of blue water boats they are strange looking, not a lot of curb appeal. In my humble opinion.

I am very experienced...they still look strange. :D

I think the problem with these boats is their strange appearance. You have to understand how functional they are to fall in love with one. The same thing applies to the Whale Back, if your not a knowledgeable of blue water boats they are strange looking, not a lot of curb appeal. In my humble opinion.

LOL, it's funny you say that, Scary. Most of us Krogen guys refer to the Whaleback as a Manatee on steroids. It was only a couple of weeks ago that I was salivating over a Whaleback for sale in Stuart, FL. I guess it would take a guy that had already made the Manatee compromise to really appreciate a Whaleback, and I really do. :)

BTW, I can't deny that I have spent lots of time and effort engineering a few changes here and there to smooth out the lines on my boat. Thanks to photo-shop, I've found some subtle adjustments that may trick the eye into believing its really a GB 36!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom