Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 09:28 AM   #81
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
No. As I've said before, I don't care for what I call the "cabin cruiser" look. I like boats that have at least a degree of "workboat" in their lines. Bayiners, Tollycrafts, Uniflites, Carvers, etc., etc., etc. have no aesthetic appeal to me at all. My wife feels the same way.

This has nothing at all to do with their capabilities or build qualities. Like cars, I have no interest in owning a boat that doesn't possess the kind of aesthetics I like. The GB is certainly not ideal in this respect, but it does have a degree of the look we like. Bayliners, etc. do not.

I don't think they're ugly, I don't think they're good looking. They just are. Like Honda four-door sedans, Bayliners et al have no visual aspects that attract my attention. Large or small I don't notice them in the marina, in the yard, or out on the water (other than something not to run in to )

They are not boats that I see and think, "That's a cool looking boat," which is what I think when I see Carey's lobsterboat, Mark's Coot, Keith's Krogen, or Eric's Willard to name some on this forum. Or higher up the price scale a Fleming 55 or a deFever 46 (both of which share the same basic deFever design), or a Victory Tug.

The Bayiners, Tollys, Uniflites, Carvers, etc. are all great boats for people who like that style of boat and I don't hesitate to suggest them--- particularly Tollycraft---- as possibilities for people looking to get into a cruising boat. But they're not for us.
You know, I have to agree. There's something about the lines of say a Krogen 42 or the older Nordhavn designs that just says "salty" to me.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:59 AM   #82
Scraping Paint

City: -
Krogen designs are nice. The only Nordhavn I think is at all good looking is the older Nordhavn 50. And even that looks a big awkward to me (there is one on the next dock over from us.) But all the other Nordhavn models leave me cold in terms of their aesthetics, particularly the ones with forward-raked pilothouse windows.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:42 PM   #83
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
I know of one in Alameda

This boat is in constant use. It was sort of a contest between the two of us as to who used their boat the most. I think the problem with these boats is their strange appearance. You have to understand how functional they are to fall in love with one. The same thing applies to the Whale Back, if your not a knowledgeable of blue water boats they are strange looking, not a lot of curb appeal. In my humble opinion.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:38 PM   #84
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary View Post
This boat is in constant use. It was sort of a contest between the two of us as to who used their boat the most. I think the problem with these boats is their strange appearance. You have to understand how functional they are to fall in love with one. The same thing applies to the Whale Back, if your not a knowledgeable of blue water boats they are strange looking, not a lot of curb appeal. In my humble opinion.

I am very experienced...they still look strange.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:26 PM   #85
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary View Post
I think the problem with these boats is their strange appearance. You have to understand how functional they are to fall in love with one. The same thing applies to the Whale Back, if your not a knowledgeable of blue water boats they are strange looking, not a lot of curb appeal. In my humble opinion.
LOL, it's funny you say that, Scary. Most of us Krogen guys refer to the Whaleback as a Manatee on steroids. It was only a couple of weeks ago that I was salivating over a Whaleback for sale in Stuart, FL. I guess it would take a guy that had already made the Manatee compromise to really appreciate a Whaleback, and I really do.

BTW, I can't deny that I have spent lots of time and effort engineering a few changes here and there to smooth out the lines on my boat. Thanks to photo-shop, I've found some subtle adjustments that may trick the eye into believing its really a GB 36!!

Closed Thread