Old 03-30-2017, 12:57 PM   #1

City: St Augustine
3 Stateroom Liveaboard Trawler

Seeking a liveaboard trawler with 3 staterooms. Preferably 2 queens and set of bunks or v birth twins. Not looking for a project, but rather a LRC that is ready to go. The more self sufficient the better ie. watermaker, solar, etc. Don't want to be tied to a marina dock.

Seeking a boat for my family with 2 kids for long term cruising around Florida and the Bahamas. Prefer updated electronics and no teak decks. Economical low hp engines without a ton of hours. Preferably 1980's or newer.

Boats we like are the Cheoy Lee 46, Cheoy Lee 52, Defever 53. But we are open to any make that meets these requirements.

We live in Florida, so located in the SE US would be best.

Budget: 150k ish or less

Thanks!

unanchored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 01:33 PM   #2
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Pick two

You are asking for 3 main things.

Large
Good condition
Cheap

You will likely need to adjust your expectations on one of them. Go smaller, go for boat that isn't in as good shape, or spend more money.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 01:41 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
You are asking for 3 main things.

Large
Good condition
Cheap

You will likely need to adjust your expectations on one of them. Go smaller, go for boat that isn't in as good shape, or spend more money.
What he said!
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 02:10 PM   #4

Thank you for your feedback! What would you suggest the budget should be? We have found a few boats that meet all these expectations, but they went under contract before we could make an offer. There is a lot of buyer confidence right now, so boats are going very quickly that are priced right. Of course the ones that are priced unrealistically or have major projects are still sitting.

Botton line, I would move the budget up for the right boat, but would like to get some feedback on what an appropriate budget is in this market. Granted most of the boats we have looked at are 30+ years old, so that has to be taken into account... at least it does for me.

Thanks!
Old 03-30-2017, 02:20 PM   #5
TJM
Veteran Member

City: Essex, Ct.
Vessel Name: Harmony
Vessel Model: 1982 41' President
Buying a 30 yr old boat requires that you are either very handy or have very deep pockets. You do not need to be a professional plumber, electrician or diesel mechanic but the more you can do yourself the better it is. Our President is 35 yrs old and I do most of my own work and take classes every winter. Because of this hands on knowledge, a trip is never postponed and we have never been towed.
TJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 02:28 PM   #6
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Unanchored, a few questions:

• What is your previous boat ownership experience?
  • Are you skilled enough (like TJM above) and with lots of free time to take on a DIYer and make it right?
  • How many vessels fitting your guidelines have you personally been on and inspected for an hour or two each?
Once you have looked at 20 or so vessels close to your mark, things will start to fall into place.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 02:38 PM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post

• Are you skilled enough (like TJM above) and with lots of free time to take on a DIYer and make it right?
  • How many vessels fitting your guidelines have you personally been on and inspected for an hour or two each?
Once you have looked at 20 or so vessels close to your mark, things will start to fall into place.
Excellent advice. The issue is that that all boats require repair and maintenance. Stuff does, and will, break. The newer the boat, the better maintained, the less quickly stuff will break. However you pay for that newer and better maintained boat.

I can't give you an idea on where the budget should be because I have not looked at that type of boat in your market, but $150k seems low for a boat that size that is updated and in good condition. As Sunchaser said, you will see the market range as you look at a number of boats.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 03-30-2017, 02:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post

Hi Sunchaser,

- I currently own a 22ft center console and have had quite a bit experience operating, maintaining, and caring for larger vessels in the 50-60ft range.

- I like to think I am a jack of all trades master of none If I wasn't somewhat handy, I probably would not consider purchasing an older larger vessel. I am very aware how much it can cost to maintain any boat only using "professionals".

- We have been on and inspected close to 15-20 vessels since we began our search at the beginning of the year. Just this week, I drove from St Aug to Miami on Sunday and St Aug to Tampa area to view 2 more vessels. The Miami boat was not as described or listed and the Tampa area boat went under contract 45 min before we got there.

I feel like we know what we want and really have a good handle on our compromises we are willing to make.

My intention for posting here was that there may be some leads regarding FSBOs or pre market boats. I feel like I have seen every boat on yachtworld or similar sites

Thanks!
Old 03-30-2017, 03:09 PM   #9
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Unanchored

It sounds like you have it figured out. So just sit back and wait, something will turn up. But I'd guess you to be well below the market if you really want to tick the boxes, as well as wanting a blue water at times capable vessel with Bahamas range.

Widen your scope a little geographically. Great Lakes searches have proven successful for many too. Have you looked at the Bayliner 4788? A DeFever 48 fits your criteria too, many represented on TF. Lots more to choose from. You'll know it when you see it.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 03:12 PM   #10
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by unanchored View Post

My intention for posting here was that there may be some leads regarding FSBOs or pre market boats. I feel like I have seen every boat on yachtworld or similar sites

Thanks!
And if you have done so and not found one that fit your criteria, then that only supports more that something has to be adjusted. Go back on Yachtworld raising your maximum in increments. Maybe search to see what is available between $150k and $175k or even $200k. Do it a little at a time.

Does your $150k include immediate work that would have to be done and upgrades or still allow for a substantial first year expenditure?

What you'll find as you run YW in price ranges above that you've been looking is slightly newer boats with each change.

Then when it seems like the perfect boat, don't waste a minute before you see it and if you like it put an offer on it. Think about the one that got away and how next time to get there four hours earlier. I have an acquaintance who keeps finding the perfect boat and then thinking about it, turning around to make an offer, and it's gone.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 03:14 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
H
I feel like we know what we want and really have a good handle on our compromises we are willing to make.
Sounds like you do. Just a matter of finding the right boat at the right time. Continue to do what you are doing and it will come together at some point.

When I first read your post subject, the boat that came to my mind was the Bayliner 4788. I see lots of them around here. It may be worth considering.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 03-30-2017, 03:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Excellent advice. The issue is that that all boats require repair and maintenance. Stuff does, and will, break. The newer the boat, the better maintained, the less quickly stuff will break. However you pay for that newer and better maintained boat.

I can't give you an idea on where the budget should be because I have not looked at that type of boat in your market, but $150k seems low for a boat that size that is updated and in good condition. As Sunchaser said, you will see the market range as you look at a number of boats.
Here is an example of what we are looking for - 1981 Cheoy Lee 46 LRC Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

This boat appeared to be well maintained. I agree, stuff will break, that is why I am trying to be reasonable with the budget.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
And if you have done so and not found one that fit your criteria, then that only supports more that something has to be adjusted. Go back on Yachtworld raising your maximum in increments. Maybe search to see what is available between $150k and $175k or even $200k. Do it a little at a time.

Does your $150k include immediate work that would have to be done and upgrades or still allow for a substantial first year expenditure?

What you'll find as you run YW in price ranges above that you've been looking is slightly newer boats with each change.

Then when it seems like the perfect boat, don't waste a minute before you see it and if you like it put an offer on it. Think about the one that got away and how next time to get there four hours earlier. I have an acquaintance who keeps finding the perfect boat and then thinking about it, turning around to make an offer, and it's gone.
BandB

$150k is for the immediate purchase. Most likely there will be additional expenses to get it boat ready to cruise. Good advice on not wasting time. I will do my best to make sure the next one does not slip away.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:19 PM   #14
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
The Ocean Alexander 50 Mark I could be a candidate for you to look at as well; they came in two and three stateroom models and are '80's vintage.

Island berths are generally much preferred (most folks don't like to crawl over or be crawled over by others) but would be difficult to find in the range you are looking.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 06:08 PM   #15
Guru

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
I got a steal just from reading this. My boat lives like a 45ft. Huge galley and I mean huge. Ample salon that converts to additional sleeping, 2 large staterooms, 2 heads. Here is the deal:

The mercedes engine is stellar. (really all I cared about) Just general maintenance.

Here is what it needed:

3 weeks of fine cleaning. Dead cockroaches and all
New stove
New fridge
A slight galley remodel (why it had 3 sinks I will never know)
New plumbing fixtures
New heads
Curtains, deck furniture, some electronic fixing, new speakers, bedding and stocking galley, heads, staterooms.

I am not including all the brightwork painting I did. Yes I painted it. I am also not including fuel tanks which I believe are original. They could not be seen on survey nor can they be seen now.

Here is the good news. I did most of it myself including changing engine/generator fluids. In fact the only thing I didn't do myself was the fridge. Too heavy for me. I will also have it bottom painted in the bahamas next month.

Cost of vessel? 40,000.00
Immediate cost? 25,000.00
Upcoming bottom paint? 5,000.00
Eventual tank replacement? 10,000.00

Monthly recurring costs including marina, general maintenance, etc. 800.00-900.00

Making it my own? Priceless

A boat is worth what you are willing to pay for it. Once you fall in love, you will pull the trigger. Good luck on your hunt.
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 06:56 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
I got a steal just from reading this. My boat lives like a 45ft. Huge galley and I mean huge. Ample salon that converts to additional sleeping, 2 large staterooms, 2 heads. Here is the deal:

The mercedes engine is stellar. (really all I cared about) Just general maintenance.

Here is what it needed:

3 weeks of fine cleaning. Dead cockroaches and all
New stove
New fridge
A slight galley remodel (why it had 3 sinks I will never know)
New plumbing fixtures
New heads
Curtains, deck furniture, some electronic fixing, new speakers, bedding and stocking galley, heads, staterooms.

I am not including all the brightwork painting I did. Yes I painted it. I am also not including fuel tanks which I believe are original. They could not be seen on survey nor can they be seen now.

Here is the good news. I did most of it myself including changing engine/generator fluids. In fact the only thing I didn't do myself was the fridge. Too heavy for me. I will also have it bottom painted in the bahamas next month.

Cost of vessel? 40,000.00
Immediate cost? 25,000.00
Upcoming bottom paint? 5,000.00
Eventual tank replacement? 10,000.00

Monthly recurring costs including marina, general maintenance, etc. 800.00-900.00

Making it my own? Priceless

A boat is worth what you are willing to pay for it. Once you fall in love, you will pull the trigger. Good luck on your hunt.
Donna,

Sounds like you did... Hopefully we can find one too!
Old 03-30-2017, 08:25 PM   #17
Guru

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
Quote:
Donna,

Sounds like you did... Hopefully we can find one too!
You are in st aug. You are welcome to see it anytime you like. I am in the Palm Coast Marina.
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 08:42 PM   #18
Guru

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
un...

Have you looked at / considered Bayliners?
I think there is a 4788 in Jax listed at $175 - convenient and might give you an idea if these could / should be on/off the list?!
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 09:32 PM   #19

City: New Tazewell
Vessel Name: Saoirse
Vessel Model: 1983 Nauticat 44 Ketch
What immediately came to my mind was those old Chris Craft cruisers, like this one.
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 09:40 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
un...

Have you looked at / considered Bayliners?
I think there is a 4788 in Jax listed at $175 - convenient and might give you an idea if these could / should be on/off the list?!
Are the Bayliners really set up for long term cruising? They seem to be more acclimated to dock life. It is close, so it may be worth taking a look at.

Tags
cheoy lee, defever, lrc, trawler, wanted