• Trawler Forum Classified Posting Guidelines
    • We expect ads placed to be related to the topic of this forum.
    • Ads that are inactive for 180 days or longer may be moved to the Classified Archive and locked. Ads may be relisted if the item is still current. Alternatively, owners may contact a Moderator to reinstate an archived ad.
    • The Classified section is for advertising, members are asked to refrain from posting discussions to a Classified Ad. Please start a discussion thread or PM the owner for discussions.
    • Do not hijack another member's ad by posting unsolicited commentary. Example: if a member has posted an ad offering an anchor for sale, don't add a post to his thread stating that you have an anchor you'd like to get rid of also. Posts deemed as unsolicited commentary may be removed.
    • For your own security, do NOT include your e-mail or phone number in your ad. Instead request that interested parties contact you via PM (private message) to provide owners contact info.
    • Brokers, Dealers, or those with a commercial interest in a sale are prohibited from posting in Classifieds.
    • Only Trawler Forum Commercial Members may post ads in the Commercial section. You must be a designated Commercial Member to start threads in this section of the forum. (Contact a moderator if you have questions about this)
    • Don't post links to commercial sites where you are also offering the boat, such as eBay, Craigslist or Yachtworld, etc. unless it contains a more in-depth description, additional information or pictures.
    • Place only one ad per item (you may repost only when your ad has expired and been removed).
    For Sale ads MUST include:
    • Asking price
    • Clear statement whether you are the owner or non-owner (posting for friend, relative, or acquaintance)
    • Don't forget to select: FOR SALE, WANTED or FREE in the Title block.
    All ads should also include ALL the following:
    • Pertinent maintenance and condition information
    • Exterior picture or pictures
    • Interior picture or pictures (boats)
    For maximum impact & exposure, it is suggested the Ad Title include: Year, Manufacturer, Model, Length, Price, and Location or at the very top of the ad body. When your item has sold or the ad is no longer relevant: Please post a Reply to the ad that the item is SOLD or click "Report Post" on post 1 of the thread to ask a moderator to archive the ad. Ads may be moved or removed by our staff at any time for any reason. All ads must comply with site rules. Thanks for your cooperation.
  • Avoid Scams.

Our classifieds are free and anyone registered here is welcome to post an ad.
    Be aware that there are unscrupulous folks out there. Avoid any interaction that seems odd to you or �feels� wrong. Inquiries from unknown buyers, buyers �agents� and other non-traditional approaches should be treated with extreme caution.

Beware of unsolicited contacts offering to put you in touch with someone else who is buying or selling via e-mail or text.

Do not post your e-mail address or phone number in a classifieds ad.

Hints that you may be dealing with a Scammer:
    • Seller or Buyer approaches you via a direct email or PM and then steers you to an off-site communication method (text or email).
    • No posts or very few forum posts.
    • Recent forum membership
    • Insists on conducting negotiations via email or text rather than PM
    • Requires payment via Bank Transfer, BitCoin/CryptoCurrency, WesternUnion or other unsecured method.
    • Buyer or Seller suggests Paypal "Friends and Family" payment. Paypal is a good way to arrange payment but an invoice for goods and services should be used rather than "Friends and Family". "Friends and Family" avoids fees BUT there is no recourse if the transaction runs aground. Friends and Family is for gifts only. There is no protection for Friends and Family transactions, so never ever use it to buy something.
    • Declines to allow viewing the item before proceeding with the transaction.

2008 29' C Dory Venture Diesel Inboard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Capt JJ

Vessel Name
Penguin
Vessel Make
C-Dory Venture 29
I'm preparing to sell my special C Dory after 10 years of cruising the Erie Canal.
Penguin is a unique boat. A C Dory inboard diesel. Powered by a Yanmar 6BY 220 HP 6 cyl turbo, it gets incredible fuel economy but also provides power and performance. I'm getting a new hip and then a new knee so it is time to move on. She's a great boat, well cared for, fresh water and low hours. Well equipped and maintained. Happy to provide more info if anyone is interested. Currently I'm asking $99k based on what I see similar vessels selling for, but I'm open to negotiation for serious offers. If you'd like more info, let me know. Or if you plan on cruising the Erie Canal. I'm happy to provide any info if you're looking for it.
Thanks,
Capt JJ

Attachments

• 20170813_105654.jpg
    20170813_105654.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 820
  • 20190606_121525.jpg
    20190606_121525.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 692
  • Lockport NY with 22 and 25.jpg
    Lockport NY with 22 and 25.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 726
Could you send me some Pictures via PM ?
Is there a Trailer for this Boat ?
Thanks, Roger

Howdy neighbor (fellow Midlakes boater on Patience). We’ve always admired Penguin. Sorry to hear of the hip and knee issues. Good luck with the sale and the ops.

CaptJJ,
Is the engine in the cockpit w a V drive or ahead of the aft cabin bulkhead?

Howdy neighbor (fellow Midlakes boater on Patience). We’ve always admired Penguin. Sorry to hear of the hip and knee issues. Good luck with the sale and the ops.

Likewise! Patience is a beautiful and well suited canal cruiser.

CaptJJ,
Is the engine in the cockpit w a V drive or ahead of the aft cabin bulkhead?

Neither. The engine sits behind the cabin bulkhead, with a straight shaft. Cabin is quiet, engine, transmission and shaft are in line. Short 1, 1/2" shaft. Hull design is a tunnel with a wedge to provide extra lift

with a new hip and knee, you should be better off boating than before. I've had two hips replaced. I would have barely been able to get into my current boat prior to my surgeries.

Boating on artificial joints

I agree that you should reconsider, I have two new knees and a hip, I am not giving up boating, that’s why I had them done.

29 C Dory

I am interested in possibly purchasing your C Dory 29. Is it still available? Thank you.

Yes it is. Still in winter storage and our marina was just permitted to reopen by NYS.
Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks

JJ

Hi JJ,

A few quick questions 1) How many hours on diesel engine and what is the make of the engine. 2) Do you have service records? 3) What electronics is the boat equipped with? Electronics approx age and brand 4) Has boat been surveyed recently?

Thanks,
Gary

You will certainly be surprised on how quickly you will recover from a hip, then a knee replacement.

Whatever your baseline of activity has been in the past two years, remember it was with two bad joints. When your recovery is over, you will be like a kid again.

Recovery is quick. Either stall for another summer, get them both done in the fall and never miss a day of boating. Or get them done right now and only miss part of the summer.

Don't sell the boat unless there are other reasons.

pete

Hi JJ,

A few quick questions 1) How many hours on diesel engine and what is the make of the engine. 2) Do you have service records? 3) What electronics is the boat equipped with? Electronics approx age and brand 4) Has boat been surveyed recently?

Thanks,
Gary

Hi Gary

1- 990 hours. Yanmar 6BY 220 HP Turbo

2- All service done by same mechanic and marina. If you come to see the boat, I can have the mechanic show you through it. Each year at haul out, oil changed (Synthetic) filters etc. Preventative maintenance all done and repairs as needed. We did some upgrades, prop tunnel wedge, per designer recommendations. Lots of things we can show you.

3 - Original electronics. Raymarine C Series chart plotter, gps, radar. I cruise on the Erie Canal. Kinda just keep it between the trees.

4 - No recent survey.

I bought Penguin in 2009, with 124 hours. I cruise on the Erie Canal and NY canal system, May through October. Boat has had very light duty. I'm second owner. No major issues. Well maintained. No smoking, no pets, don't fish. Just cruise.

Thanks for your interest

JJ

You will certainly be surprised on how quickly you will recover from a hip, then a knee replacement.

Whatever your baseline of activity has been in the past two years, remember it was with two bad joints. When your recovery is over, you will be like a kid again.

Recovery is quick. Either stall for another summer, get them both done in the fall and never miss a day of boating. Or get them done right now and only miss part of the summer.

Don't sell the boat unless there are other reasons.

pete

Thanks Pete. Hip is doing well. I'm just not using the boat that much anymore. Time to move on. Penguin would make a perfect boat for a solo or couple wanting to enjoy boating. She is a prefect vessel to cruise the Great Loop. I have 2 other smaller outboards too, so I'm still going to be on the water. JJ

Here is a list of features on the 29 C Dory. Sorry, I just noticed I hadn't listed these in the original post. Helps to answer some questions, but feel free to reply or email me with any. JJ

2008 C-Dory Venture, Length 29'. Beam 9'7".
Full inboard, straight shaft
Single engine, diesel. Yanmar 6BY 220. (Tier 2 diesel, 220 HP, turbo)
990 hours
Bow thruster
Trim tabs
Michigan Wheel LH 4 blade 18 x 18 prop
Anchor windlass
Remote Spotlight
Raymarine chart plotter, GPS and radar
Wetbath head with Dometic vacu-flush toilet
Pressurized Hot water system
Galley with 2 way fridge and electric cooktop
New salon sunbrella upholstery, new sunbrella bimini top 2016.
150 gallon fuel capacity.
Onan 5kw diesel generator
2 sleeping areas. V berth and mid cabin berth.
4 person dinette converts to berth
Dometic Marine AC / Heat.
All required USCG safety equipment, fenders, shore power cord, spare prop
Fresh water use, Erie Canal.

Comparable to Ranger Tug, but C Dory built. Excellent for cruising the lakes, canal or for taking on the Great Loop. Fuel consumption less than 0.5 gal per hour at 5 knots. Capable of 22 knots at wide open throttle. 4000 rpm, fuel consumption approx 6 gal per hour. Left hand prop and bow thruster allow single handed operation in locks or docking without leaving helm station. This is a unique boat, built by C Dory. Always gets compliments. I've owned for 10 years, purchased in 2009 with 124 hours. Well maintained with many improvements.

Hi Gary

1- 990 hours. Yanmar 6BY 220 HP Turbo

2- All service done by same mechanic and marina. If you come to see the boat, I can have the mechanic show you through it. Each year at haul out, oil changed (Synthetic) filters etc. Preventative maintenance all done and repairs as needed. We did some upgrades, prop tunnel wedge, per designer recommendations. Lots of things we can show you.

3 - Original electronics. Raymarine C Series chart plotter, gps, radar. I cruise on the Erie Canal. Kinda just keep it between the trees.

4 - No recent survey.

I bought Penguin in 2009, with 124 hours. I cruise on the Erie Canal and NY canal system, May through October. Boat has had very light duty. I'm second owner. No major issues. Well maintained. No smoking, no pets, don't fish. Just cruise.

Thanks for your interest

JJ
Thank you. You just "keep it between the trees". I like that. Here in North Carolina, we do much the same except we weave around sandbars! Haha.

I am from NE Pennsylvania and, depending on the Covid situation, I plan to travel north in early to mid May. It sounds like a very nice, unique vessel and I would like to see it. Nice Loop boat. I will be in contact and set up a time to visit Erie and view your boat. Thanks.

Penguin is SOLD. She has moved to the Chesapeake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom