Old 02-04-2013, 01:14 PM   #1
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
2004 Mainship Pilot 30 II...For Sale

I am looking to move to a boat with a bit more space. This has been an absolutely excellent boat and I have used it a lot in the 6.5 years I have owned it. It is likely the easiest 30ft boat to operate and likely the most efficient 30ft planing boat. Those two things alone add up to a boat that will be used a lot...which is obviously a good thing.

Anyway, the cheapest one on yachtworld.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._id=79167&url=
Old 02-06-2013, 12:07 PM   #2

5/10...Installed JL Audio sound system
4/12...all new canvas and exterior soft goods
5/12...brand new Lewmar V700 Windlass
6/12...Brand new AGM batteries and a redesign of electrical system(the boat came from the factory with 2 group 27s to power all systems...including windlass and bow thruster).

The boat is compounded and waxed every 3 months so the gelcoat is in EXCELLENT condition.

I hear the owner is eager to sell and will listen to all offers...
Old 02-06-2013, 12:28 PM   #3
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
I hear the owner is eager to sell and will listen to all offers...
I'm guessing that you have identified another boat that fits your "want" list but you don't want to be a 2 boat owner.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse II View Post
I'm guessing that you have identified another boat that fits your "want" list but you don't want to be a 2 boat owner.
There are a few. I am actually not really sure...which kind of scares me..... There is a Carver 356 in my marina in very good shape with very low time Cummins 370hp engines that probably tops the list. But I am not sure I am ready to abandon the "sedan style of life" in favor of the aft cabin motor yacht style. Obviously, the ACMY gives you tons of interior space but I spend a lot of time at anchor and swimming off the back. I will say the one thing I like about these particular Carvers is the molded in steps to a very large swim platform. But....... The competing boat would be the Albin fast trawler and the Mainship 350/390. I have become accustomed to a little bit of speed so I am looking for a boat that can cruise at 15kts+. Timjet says his Carver 355 is "overpowered" with the 330hp engines so that 356 should scoot. Only the Mainship 390s with the twin Yanmars would be considered due to speed considerations...and they are somewhat rare.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:48 PM   #5
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
We like the Carver 356 too but really enjoy our sedan model now. Could very well be our move up boat in a few years. Pair of 370 hp engines should move it along nicely.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
Old 03-20-2013, 07:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

City: Bradenton, Florida
Vessel Name: Island Spirit
Vessel Model: 1976 Hatteras LRC 48'
Looks like you mainship is under contract? Congrat's...YW ad says "sale pending"
Perry (AKA- Otisguy)
Old 03-20-2013, 08:49 AM   #7
Guru

Quote:
But I am not sure I am ready to abandon the "sedan style of life" in favor of the aft cabin motor yacht style. Obviously, the ACMY gives you tons of interior space but I spend a lot of time at anchor and swimming off the back. I have become accustomed to a little bit of speed so I am looking for a boat that can cruise at 15kts+. .
John: As you know, I also had a Mainship Pilot 30 and went for a little larger boat with more amenities. I wanted a cockpit and no fly bridge which is exactly what I got. SeaHorse's beauty, however, won my heart so I settled for 8.5 knots. If I could turn the clock back I would stick to more speed, sedan style & no fly bridge. Don Moon's style always comes to mind.

If this boat had a cruise speed of 15 knots, I's be as happy as it is possible to be.

Since it's not, the Sabre 36 would be perfect for what we do.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2105.jpg   Sabre 36.jpg  
Old 03-23-2013, 10:47 AM   #8

While we have not closed, the boat is pretty much sold. It is funny, the boat has been for sale on and off since my Melanoma deal in 2008. It actually went under two contracts and did not finalize in those deals. When it comes right down to it, I really didn't think much about selling it. Now that it is pretty much a done deal, I have a little remorse. It has been such a good boat. My whole reason for selling is to get something with a little bit more liveable interior space. But in the end, the vast majority of us use our boats as day boats 90%+ of the time and interior space is not really needed. Anyway, I know I want to move up......just sad to see this excellent boat go away.

Walt, the boat show is in town this weekend and there is a Sabre 36 for sale in it. I have already perused it. The boat "could" be really nice but the owner has presented it for sale dirty, with peeling varnish, and just a general overall unkempt appearance. After making sure the broker that showed it to me was not the owner, I counselled him on his lack of counsel to the seller. It's a ****ing boat show for crying out loud!!!! And you show the boat in this shape?????!!!!!! Anyway, underneath I am sure is a fine boat. All it would have taken if you paid someone is about BOAT buck and the boat would have been spic and span!!! I consider this the broker's fault for lack of counsel(realizing that the broker cannot force the owner to do anything. But I would not have his boat in the show).

And BTW, I know it sounds petty but the next boat I get will absolutely positively have to have a dry head with separate shower stall. The Sabre 36 does not. And the Eastbay 38 does not either as some of those have crept into at least my consideration range. From having a flybridge boat before this boat, I always longed to have another. Now that I have driven the last 6 years on this boat, it is quite nice to be operating the boat and being amongst your guests at the same time. Some times I was up there by myself on the flybridge....which didn't bother me then.

There has been a Sabre 34 Flybridge Sedan that has come into consideration. My only knock on them is the lack of shade over the cockpit. I know there are solutions to that but just thinking out loud.

That is where I am. In no particular order....Mainship 350/390, Albin 36 Express Trawler, Sabre 34, and Carver 356.

Which of those don't fit into the grouping???.....hahahaha!!!!
Old 03-23-2013, 11:36 AM   #9
Guru

Quote:
And BTW, I know it sounds petty but the next boat I get will absolutely positively have to have a dry head with separate shower stall. The Sabre 36 does not. And the Eastbay 38 does not either....(I didn't know that!)

Now that I have driven the last 6 years on this boat, it is quite nice to be operating the boat and being amongst your guests at the same time. (Couldn't agree more!)
John:
Boy, does this bring back memories! I struggled with the very same issues but compromised on the speed issue. Don't make that mistake!
I'll bet the search is a lot more fun now that you are in a position to "move" when you see the right boat. "Tire kicking" is a lot of fun when both you & the broker know that you are a serious buyer. In my case, money was not a problem. I was simply seduced by the Halvorsen and caved.

Don't those Mainships cruise in the mid teens? They are a lot of bang for the buck and have pretty good re-sale too.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse II View Post
John:

Don't those Mainships cruise in the mid teens? They are a lot of bang for the buck and have pretty good re-sale too.
I am a big fan of those Mainships. The vast majority of them are powered with 300hp Cats. Which will cruise the boat at 8 kts and max out WOT around 12-13. Sound familiar???.... Now there are ones with twin Volvo 200s that will cruise mid teens. But I am in the camp of avoiding Volvos. There are a few that have twin Yanmar 4LHAs at 230hp per engine(same engine as on my boat)....which SHOULD easily cruise in the mid teens. These boats are somewhat rare although there is one within 150 miles of me and also one in Alabama which is not out of the question. So to answer your question, no, most will not cruise in the mid teens. Hence my issue with them. If I can find a good twin engine Yanmar one then that would be great.

Ideally, one would have a single 450hp Cummins 6CTA with bow thruster....but I don't think that creature exists.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:13 PM   #11

Sold!!!!
Old 04-07-2013, 12:47 PM   #12
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Congrats and condolences John! Those Mainship 30's are nice boats. Onward and upward though. Have ya got a replacement in your sights yet?

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
Old 04-08-2013, 12:50 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Congrats and condolences John! Those Mainship 30's are nice boats. Onward and upward though. Have ya got a replacement in your sights yet?
Yeah, I have a few and am having a hard time narrowing them down....which is kind of disturbing to me... There was one that got away but I really didn't get much of a shot at it. Oh well. I will post up a progress report on the general discussion if I get time. I have been working my butt off!!!