• Trawler Forum Classified Posting Guidelines
    • We expect ads placed to be related to the topic of this forum.
    • Ads that are inactive for 180 days or longer may be moved to the Classified Archive and locked. Ads may be relisted if the item is still current. Alternatively, owners may contact a Moderator to reinstate an archived ad.
    • The Classified section is for advertising, members are asked to refrain from posting discussions to a Classified Ad. Please start a discussion thread or PM the owner for discussions.
    • Do not hijack another member's ad by posting unsolicited commentary. Example: if a member has posted an ad offering an anchor for sale, don't add a post to his thread stating that you have an anchor you'd like to get rid of also. Posts deemed as unsolicited commentary may be removed.
    • For your own security, do NOT include your e-mail or phone number in your ad. Instead request that interested parties contact you via PM (private message) to provide owners contact info.
    • Brokers, Dealers, or those with a commercial interest in a sale are prohibited from posting in Classifieds.
    • Only Trawler Forum Commercial Members may post ads in the Commercial section. You must be a designated Commercial Member to start threads in this section of the forum. (Contact a moderator if you have questions about this)
    • Don't post links to commercial sites where you are also offering the boat, such as eBay, Craigslist or Yachtworld, etc. unless it contains a more in-depth description, additional information or pictures.
    • Place only one ad per item (you may repost only when your ad has expired and been removed).
    For Sale ads MUST include:
    • Asking price
    • Clear statement whether you are the owner or non-owner (posting for friend, relative, or acquaintance)
    • Don't forget to select: FOR SALE, WANTED or FREE in the Title block.
    All ads should also include ALL the following:
    • Pertinent maintenance and condition information
    • Exterior picture or pictures
    • Interior picture or pictures (boats)
    For maximum impact & exposure, it is suggested the Ad Title include: Year, Manufacturer, Model, Length, Price, and Location or at the very top of the ad body. When your item has sold or the ad is no longer relevant: Please post a Reply to the ad that the item is SOLD or click "Report Post" on post 1 of the thread to ask a moderator to archive the ad. Ads may be moved or removed by our staff at any time for any reason. All ads must comply with site rules. Thanks for your cooperation.
  • Avoid Scams.

Our classifieds are free and anyone registered here is welcome to post an ad.
    Be aware that there are unscrupulous folks out there. Avoid any interaction that seems odd to you or �feels� wrong. Inquiries from unknown buyers, buyers �agents� and other non-traditional approaches should be treated with extreme caution.

Beware of unsolicited contacts offering to put you in touch with someone else who is buying or selling via e-mail or text.

Do not post your e-mail address or phone number in a classifieds ad.

Hints that you may be dealing with a Scammer:
    • Seller or Buyer approaches you via a direct email or PM and then steers you to an off-site communication method (text or email).
    • No posts or very few forum posts.
    • Recent forum membership
    • Insists on conducting negotiations via email or text rather than PM
    • Requires payment via Bank Transfer, BitCoin/CryptoCurrency, WesternUnion or other unsecured method.
    • Buyer or Seller suggests Paypal "Friends and Family" payment. Paypal is a good way to arrange payment but an invoice for goods and services should be used rather than "Friends and Family". "Friends and Family" avoids fees BUT there is no recourse if the transaction runs aground. Friends and Family is for gifts only. There is no protection for Friends and Family transactions, so never ever use it to buy something.
    • Declines to allow viewing the item before proceeding with the transaction.

For Sale: 1986 GB 42 Classic FOR SALE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hybrid GB

1986 Grand Banks GB 42 Classic, HULL ONLY.

100% clean boat, no issues.
Recent marine survey available. Can be inspected. New fuel tank. New electrical, new AC, Halon Fire Supression system, Inverters, too much to list.

The boat is on the dry in Ft Lauderdale, so it can be inspected easily.

All systems fully operational. No engines, ready for new diesels.

Text to (209) 732-6365 to schedule viewing.

$60,000 obo.
May tradefor aiplane.

Attachments

• DSC_0199.jpg
    DSC_0199.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 438
  • DSC_0216.jpg
    DSC_0216.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 450
  • DSC_0222.jpg
    DSC_0222.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 445
  • DSC_0224.jpg
    DSC_0224.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 446
  • DSC_0234.jpg
    DSC_0234.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 454
  • DSC_0246.jpg
    DSC_0246.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 437
  • DSC_0250.jpg
    DSC_0250.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 424
It means bring a paddle.

has no engines, but everything else is in place. Drop diesels in and ready to go....

Same boat with engines would be in the 175K range.
That's a 115K budget for engines and install. Not difficult.

Many GB owners prefer to talior their engines to their cruising style. This way all options are open.

Ok, I'll bite.

In the first photo, you can see she was (is?) Named "watt power". This could an electrical reference and she's missing engines. What are the chances she had electric propulsion?

Right on. It currently is equipped with full electric propulsion. All brand new. this was an R&D project so we are removing the setup since there seems to be no interest for electric / hybrid boats in the GB community.
Hugely popular with catamarans.
No noise, 5 times the range and zero maintenance. Hard to beat. Go figure, but nobody wants it in a trawler. Guess the diesel fumes are part of the romantic notion.
IF you know someone who might be interested, now is the time, before we start stripping it :). There is no boat like it.

On battery power, on the ICW about 1-2 hrs depending on engine load. Then the generator kicks in (brandnew Volvo Penta 200) , recharges batteries on the fly and powers the electric engines.
On a full tank of diesel, you are looking at about 2,000 mls range. The Volvo always runs at the "sweet spot" RPM which will give it the best fuel economy. It doesn't rev up or down. It runs a 120KW generator, so there is ample power.
On shore, the software can suck up to 50A charge (if shore cicuit permits) so you'll be fully recharged in a cpl of hours. On a quick connect on a lunch stop, you can get your batteries recharged for nil.

After we were done testing, we replaced all systems with barndnew ones, so the Volvo lierally has not been started yet. All zero hours. Ah what a pity to strip it now .

Watt?

Just looked the boat up and found some info. What are you planning to do with the electric bits you take out?

Im a fan of diesel/electric propulsion. Thats how they power cruise ships. If only 2 hours on batteries alone then the boat is more properly diesel/electric rather than hybrid. On a sailboat, the motor can become a generator when under sail turning the prop backwards and is therefore more properly a hybrid. There is no option to charge the batteries uderway other than a single generator. I would want a second generator I think, maybe a smaller get home unit? Or maybe a couple of wind generators and some solar panels?

Hybrid GB: I visited your website featuring this vessel a year or two ago, and found the idea exciting and attractive. I salute you for trying! OTOH, the economic / business case didn't move me at the time. Declining fuel prices have probably made it a tougher sell.

At what price were you trying to sell the diesel-electric boat?

May I also ask why you chose Volvo for genset power?

No Interest???...man, I'd be all over it if the budget allowed. Just out of curiosity, what are you asking with the hybrid system intact?

Right on. It currently is equipped with full electric propulsion. All brand new. this was an R&D project so we are removing the setup since there seems to be no interest for electric / hybrid boats in the GB community.
Hugely popular with catamarans.
No noise, 5 times the range and zero maintenance. Hard to beat. Go figure, but nobody wants it in a trawler. Guess the diesel fumes are part of the romantic notion.
IF you know someone who might be interested, now is the time, before we start stripping it :). There is no boat like it.

The reason no one wants a Hybrid boat is the 1-2 hr run time.. it's not enough.
So how do you figure 5 times the range? If you are traveling 1000 miles you are running the genset all the time anyway.. correct?

And last time I checked the diesel electric systems in sailing cats were also a huge flop and most of them have been refitted with diesel also.

Regarding the sale of the boat as a engine less boat.. your right.. for the right person it is a good value.

HOLLYWOOD

Not only a good value here but also a chance for an owner to properly power his boat exactly the way he wants!!!! GLWS!!!

Agree with Baker, interesting vessel to consider. The debate over hybrid should be moot, for a savvy buyer. My guess is the boat and systems are in good shape because the owner's been using it as a showcase thus wanted a decent overall vessel. Just a guess though. A good inspection would tell all. Hopefully all systems are in place or readily available to take it back to what it was. Such as genset, ACs, inverter, battery banks etc.

The debate should be what engine(s) I vote for Cummins reman(s) 220 HP rating. While you're at it, new tanks too. Should be good for another 30 years.

Last edited:
We sell them individually - these are high end parts used in electric propulsion.

Sunchaser,
All systems are brandnew. After testing we replaced everything with new components. Not that it would matter though - the engines have a 100,000 hour service inyterval - unlikely the next buyer will ever see the end of it.

No transmissions, nothing to service. Well, except the Volvo. That has zero hours.
New tanks already installed. Full marine survey values it at 175K.

Im a fan of diesel/electric propulsion. Thats how they power cruise ships. If only 2 hours on batteries alone then the boat is more properly diesel/electric rather than hybrid. On a sailboat, the motor can become a generator when under sail turning the prop backwards and is therefore more properly a hybrid. There is no option to charge the batteries uderway other than a single generator. I would want a second generator I think, maybe a smaller get home unit? Or maybe a couple of wind generators and some solar panels?
McGillicuddy,

there is an option to add a smaller backup gen. We designed the system to accomodate about 4kW of solar panels, the GB has ample space, if you can live with the cosmetics.
Drive an hour anchor out, fish and enjoy the day. Solar panels will run all your onboard & recharge batteries. End of the day you're good to go, never use the genset. we've done it in FL.

So what is the price with the hybrid power setup?
Survey is at $175K, we will sell the vessel at $155K ready to go.

Pic below shows the Volvo coupled to the generator.

Attachments

• IMG_3356.jpg
    IMG_3356.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 191
Here is a photo of the engines - directly on the shafts. Oh how simple boating can be. :dance:

Move the joystick fwd. Immediate full torque available. 100%.
Want to stop the boat. Reverse the throttle, INSTANT 100% torque the other direction. Stops 38,000 pounds dead. :rofl:

Try to do that with diesels and a transmission.

Attachments

• IMG_3358.jpg
    IMG_3358.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 155
Hybrid GB - Are you associated with Island Pilot? An occasional TF poster, Ruben Trane, did a hybrid 40' Island Pilot Catamaran a few years back that had 6KW of solar panels. They claimed it would do 25NM on battery power prior to using diesel with twin Steyr hybrid engines. Not certain but believe it was an R&D project also. The boat is for sale now on YW for quite a bit more than your hybrid. I have been intrigued with it but it is above my boat R&D budget.

If you have a sketch on how 4KW of panels could be mounted on a GB 42, it would interesting to see.

Just thinking out loud;
The cost to install 2 Cummins remans, risers, tranny's, shafts, props, instrumentation, modifications to the ER to accept the engines, yard charges and labor is going to probably be $75-$100,000. Add in mods to the genny to make it work with the new setup.

It still might be a good deal, but again it's still an '86 boat and for resale a potential buyer would have to see through that and realize the value in the repower. Not all buyers would.

Better yet, stick a pair of these in it.

Commercial Engines - Yanmar Marine

Most of the wrench turning work can be done by a good DIYer to save a lot of labor costs.

Stick the engines on soft mounts with Federal couplers and you'd have one very smooth running GB.

Last edited:
Just thinking out loud;
The cost to install 2 Cummins remans, risers, tranny's, shafts, props, instrumentation, modifications to the ER to accept the engines, yard charges and labor is going to probably be $75-$100,000. Add in mods to the genny to make it work with the new setup.

It still might be a good deal, but again it's still an '86 boat and for resale a potential buyer would have to see through that and realize the value in the repower. Not all buyers would.

Thinking out loud 2:

Re-power however one looks at it is a costly project. This boat happens to be a complete re-power to a totally different system. The proof of a re-power cost benefit is in the boat hull and the systems needed to run safely and efficiently, if these are in great condition then a good decision can be made if not then this offering is way out of the ball park. GB's are pricey to begin with adding a specialty power system adds another barrier to a simple sale.
I like what I see for sale here and if this was a Westcoast offering I might be tempted to upgrade.

What interests me about electric propulsion is how it mitigates the risk of diesel and all of the different areas that risk hides in, such as fuel cleanliness, heat exchangers clogging up, filters needing to be changed, tanks leaking, oil changes, oil leaks into bilge, cables wearing out, transmissions needing adjustments, simply all of the moving and wearing out parts. But the number one interest I have in electric power is the quiet and almost effortless power that propels a boat.

So, as not to hijack this thread any further, I must say good luck with the sale GB Hybrid and I wish this boat was closer to home as it would be a serious consideration.
If there is enough interest in the electric propulsion concept I would certainly be interested in commenting on another thread.

Graham

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom