Old 12-09-2015, 11:18 AM   #21

City: Ft Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGillicuddy View Post
Im a fan of diesel/electric propulsion. Thats how they power cruise ships. If only 2 hours on batteries alone then the boat is more properly diesel/electric rather than hybrid. On a sailboat, the motor can become a generator when under sail turning the prop backwards and is therefore more properly a hybrid. There is no option to charge the batteries uderway other than a single generator. I would want a second generator I think, maybe a smaller get home unit? Or maybe a couple of wind generators and some solar panels?
McGillicuddy,

there is an option to add a smaller backup gen. We designed the system to accomodate about 4kW of solar panels, the GB has ample space, if you can live with the cosmetics.
Drive an hour anchor out, fish and enjoy the day. Solar panels will run all your onboard & recharge batteries. End of the day you're good to go, never use the genset. we've done it in FL.

Hybrid GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 11:21 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
So what is the price with the hybrid power setup?
Survey is at $175K, we will sell the vessel at $155K ready to go.

Pic below shows the Volvo coupled to the generator.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3356.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	162.1 KB
ID:	47192  

Old 12-09-2015, 11:27 AM   #23

Here is a photo of the engines - directly on the shafts. Oh how simple boating can be.

Move the joystick fwd. Immediate full torque available. 100%.
Want to stop the boat. Reverse the throttle, INSTANT 100% torque the other direction. Stops 38,000 pounds dead.

Try to do that with diesels and a transmission.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3358.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	47193  
Old 12-09-2015, 12:34 PM   #24
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Hybrid GB - Are you associated with Island Pilot? An occasional TF poster, Ruben Trane, did a hybrid 40' Island Pilot Catamaran a few years back that had 6KW of solar panels. They claimed it would do 25NM on battery power prior to using diesel with twin Steyr hybrid engines. Not certain but believe it was an R&D project also. The boat is for sale now on YW for quite a bit more than your hybrid. I have been intrigued with it but it is above my boat R&D budget.

If you have a sketch on how 4KW of panels could be mounted on a GB 42, it would interesting to see.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 06:00 PM   #25
Guru

City: kemah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid GB View Post
It runs a 120KW generator, so there is ample power.
Did you mean 12KW?
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 04:35 AM   #26
Guru

Just thinking out loud;
The cost to install 2 Cummins remans, risers, tranny's, shafts, props, instrumentation, modifications to the ER to accept the engines, yard charges and labor is going to probably be $75-$100,000. Add in mods to the genny to make it work with the new setup.

It still might be a good deal, but again it's still an '86 boat and for resale a potential buyer would have to see through that and realize the value in the repower. Not all buyers would.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 09:13 AM   #27
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Better yet, stick a pair of these in it.

Commercial Engines - Yanmar Marine

Most of the wrench turning work can be done by a good DIYer to save a lot of labor costs.

Stick the engines on soft mounts with Federal couplers and you'd have one very smooth running GB.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 10:34 AM   #28

City: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Shallow Minded
Vessel Model: Shoal Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Better yet, stick a pair of these in it.

Commercial Engines - Yanmar Marine

Most of the wrench turning work can be done by a good DIYer to save a lot of labor costs.

Stick the engines on soft mounts with Federal couplers and you'd have one very smooth running GB.
My thought almost exactly.
Blissboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 01:30 PM   #29
Veteran Member

City: Vancouver BC
Vessel Name: Glory
Vessel Model: Catalina 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
Just thinking out loud;
The cost to install 2 Cummins remans, risers, tranny's, shafts, props, instrumentation, modifications to the ER to accept the engines, yard charges and labor is going to probably be $75-$100,000. Add in mods to the genny to make it work with the new setup.

It still might be a good deal, but again it's still an '86 boat and for resale a potential buyer would have to see through that and realize the value in the repower. Not all buyers would.
Thinking out loud 2:

Re-power however one looks at it is a costly project. This boat happens to be a complete re-power to a totally different system. The proof of a re-power cost benefit is in the boat hull and the systems needed to run safely and efficiently, if these are in great condition then a good decision can be made if not then this offering is way out of the ball park. GB's are pricey to begin with adding a specialty power system adds another barrier to a simple sale.
I like what I see for sale here and if this was a Westcoast offering I might be tempted to upgrade.

What interests me about electric propulsion is how it mitigates the risk of diesel and all of the different areas that risk hides in, such as fuel cleanliness, heat exchangers clogging up, filters needing to be changed, tanks leaking, oil changes, oil leaks into bilge, cables wearing out, transmissions needing adjustments, simply all of the moving and wearing out parts. But the number one interest I have in electric power is the quiet and almost effortless power that propels a boat.

So, as not to hijack this thread any further, I must say good luck with the sale GB Hybrid and I wish this boat was closer to home as it would be a serious consideration.
If there is enough interest in the electric propulsion concept I would certainly be interested in commenting on another thread.

Graham
coast1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 01:57 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by what_barnacles View Post
Did you mean 12KW?
No I mean 120kW.
Old 12-10-2015, 02:20 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
Hybrid GB - Are you associated with Island Pilot? An occasional TF poster, Ruben Trane, did a hybrid 40' Island Pilot Catamaran a few years back that had 6KW of solar panels. They claimed it would do 25NM on battery power prior to using diesel with twin Steyr hybrid engines. Not certain but believe it was an R&D project also. The boat is for sale now on YW for quite a bit more than your hybrid. I have been intrigued with it but it is above my boat R&D budget.

If you have a sketch on how 4KW of panels could be mounted on a GB 42, it would interesting to see.
Hi Donsan,
no, not affiliated, but this is a small world, so likely they are using many of the same components. we were using large 330Wpanels, part of the installation was a replacemnt of the bimini top. Lots of space.
Old 12-10-2015, 02:22 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blissboat View Post
My thought almost exactly.
I agree, a good set of engines DIY, and you have an excellent boat with all new systems. GB are incredibly high quality and retain their value.
The price we are offering theboat at is very fair in my modest opinion.
Old 12-10-2015, 02:25 PM   #33
Veteran Member

GB Hybrid.
Where would one find out more details about your specific offering and more about what your company does?
Old 12-10-2015, 02:33 PM   #34

Hi, I am not sure if I understand what you mean by "specific offering" ?
What we offer is the boat for sale, either with or without electric propulsion.

The technlogy / software that runs the boat was done by RegenNautic, ReGen Hybrid Electric Marine Power | Electric Propulsion & Power Systems for Boats & Hybrid Yachts | ReGen Hybrid Electric Marine Power.

There is a full 2 year warranty on everything.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-10-2015, 02:51 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Thanks.
Was looking for more information about Watt Power and photos. Thanks for the links.

Graham
Old 12-10-2015, 02:58 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by coast1 View Post
Thanks.
Was looking for more information about Watt Power and photos. Thanks for the links.

Graham
Are you interested in purchasing the boat?
Old 12-10-2015, 03:11 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Yes, I am interested to upgrade to a trawler for my up coming retirement and planned ICW trip but maybe it would be better if I send you a PM if you are concerned about info getting out into the WWW.
Old 12-10-2015, 03:13 PM   #38

yes please go ahead and do that.
Old 12-31-2015, 04:38 PM   #39

City: Marietta
Hi,
Is the boat useable as is? What is the bridge clearance of the boat. I have one 16.5 foot Average marine clearance bridge between my hone dock and the ICW.
ALSO WHAT IS THE BOAT's cruising speed and thrust with its present electric motor(s)?
Please Send me a private email with al, the specs etc to tebea169@gmail.com
tebeau169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:40 PM   #40
Guru

City: Brisbane River
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
I'm curious about the battery system. What capacity, what voltage? And what is the cruise speed for the 2 hours running time?

Tags
grand banks hull for sale