Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 07:02 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Thanks for the great photo the scout are few and far between but the inclosed cockpits are rare

Old 08-11-2012, 03:23 PM   #22

City: fairfax
scout 30

is she still for sale? and where is she?

Old 08-13-2012, 08:42 AM   #23

City: Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Vessel Name: Evergreen
Vessel Model: Fairchild Yachts Scout 30
Evergreen

Mine is not for sale at this time. I am still doing work on her getting her ready to do the Loop. Then I might sell her but that will be a few years. FYI she is at my home at Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Old 08-15-2012, 10:22 AM   #24

City: North Hero, VT
Vessel Name: PAHOO
Vessel Model: Scout 30 (Express Yachts Ltd)
Hello Carl.. Just now joining forum. After 4k miles from MI, PAHOO & I did make it back to Vermont intact and very impressed with the boat in every way, although I could have used some screening as I motored through Georgia and the 'Greenheads'... dumb flyers, but nasty biters! I always hope for a Scout website as well. I'm currently deep into the engine space, my 2003T is being rebuilt after a catastrophic failure (connecting rod bearing failed, and that failure eventually destroyed the crankshaft, too). Luckily I was still on jackstands the day before launching this year, and not in some far away place with deteriorating weather! Thx again for visiting with me.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:09 AM   #25
Veteran Member

City: Hudson
Vessel Name: Olive Oyl
Vessel Model: Scout 30
Great to hear from you. I hope you tooks lots of pics you can post on your website (that I hope you create). We've gotten back into working on the boat after rebuilding the dock. Interesting that you are rebuilding instead of going new. How much is it costing to rebuild the Volvo?
Old 08-15-2012, 04:38 PM   #26

The Volvo 2003T suits the boat very well, and after 800hrs of my use, I'm fairly confident with it (recent failure excluded). Total engine hours ~1600, including several years of neglect prior to my ownership.

I could have purchased a 'zero-hour warranteed' rebuilt 2003T for $10.5k, but I chose to have my own rebuilt by a Volvo shop to 'zero hour warranteed' condition for $8.3k. I did consider a 43hp Beta for $14k, but that amt would not include a completely new installation: motor mounts, instrumentation, wiring, plumbing, fuel, exhaust, shafting, coupling, and new prop... all of which would add (IMHO) several more $k.

Since I am doing the reinstallation, and general upgrades within the engine space myself (elec, fuel system, tankage, etcetc), saving $$ for future trips is paramount.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:49 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Wow another scout to all to my list. Smedley-on-the-nile is pahoo the name she has always carried? You know i have been out of the engine building loop for a long time because when i heard the rebuild price i almost fell over but at the same time well worth it. Hope we get to see more photos.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:57 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by peapod View Post
.... is pahoo the name she has always carried?
PAHOO is hull #19. When documented in mid 90's, her name was LOLLIPOP, then became AMBROSE LIGHT, then in '07, C.P.RAY, then PAHOO in 2009. I haven't researched her earlier names/owners.

Peapod.. I know of several other boats and owners, and would be happy to share offline. I hope to get some kind of Scout database together this winter. I think all Scout owners would certainly appreciate your contribution. Ken
Old 08-16-2012, 12:29 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Wow. What a journey. I'm not really a fan of turbos in boats but I do have to agree that the little 3 cylinder Volvo does work very well with this boat. Glad it got you home before it gave up. It looks like you average about 5 miles an hour. Did you keep track of how much fuel you used?
Old 08-16-2012, 03:05 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Martin View Post
It looks like you average about 5 miles an hour. Did you keep track of how much fuel you used?
A quick scan of my log shows I was underway from MI to VT a total of 652hrs (including warm-ups, waiting for lock & bridge openings, choosing anchorages, etcetc. I took on 525gal, which figures to .81gph. At my normal cruising speed of 7.2kn @ 2500rpm (8.5mph), I have figured consumption to be .89gph. This may sound fantastical, but this is also a reason that I chose to rebuild the original 2003T.

Total statute miles ~4021. 525gal 7.65mpg
Total hours ~652hrs 525gal .81gph
Steady cruising 8.5mph .89gph 9.55mpg YMMV..

From MI to VT, from Oct '09 to June '11, prices ranged from $2.64 in Mobile, to $4.65 near Albany, averaging ~$3.33/gal. Prices were markedly higher coming up the Atlantic ICW during a very hot early Summer of '11 (ave $4/gal). I used 250gal between Stuart, FL and Burlington, VT. Yes, it was nearly the same amt that I used getting from Chicago to Stuart.. but I was riding several floods in Nov '09, downstream on the Illinois and Mississippi Rivers, and with 32" draft, hugged the inside riverbends to avoid the currents when going upstream on the Ohio and Tenn Rivers.

All this just verifies the Scout's legendary fuel economy, as many owners already attest.

Scout factoid (possibly related): The Scout 30 has a longer waterline than a Silverton 35 (they include the generous swim platform and molded bowroller, although the stem is deeply cut away; power can be twin 454's). A Silverton 35 owner was visibly shaken when we took on fuel, having traveled together for several days.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:55 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Not only are those stats not fantastic but if you'd slowed down to 6.5 knots you could have lowered your consumption to under a half a gph which is what I normally get. Now if I could just do something about that rolling.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:25 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Thanks for the updates on the names and if i can help in anyway let me know.it sure is great when some keeps good records when they make long passages it show what a long slim boat can do.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:42 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Martin View Post
if I could just do something about that rolling.
That's just part of the charm...

Attached photo of PAHOO rolling along in the Gulf of Mexico
(33hrs from Apalachacola straight across to Tampa Ship Channel + Bradenton, FL - Jan '10)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GulfCrossing1.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	12373  
Old 08-17-2012, 07:47 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Amen Brother!
Old 08-17-2012, 12:38 PM   #35
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: The Caroliner
Vessel Model: Plans to build 30' Spira Sitka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smedley-On-The-Nile View Post
That's just part of the charm...

Attached photo of PAHOO rolling along in the Gulf of Mexico
(33hrs from Apalachacola straight across to Tampa Ship Channel + Bradenton, FL - Jan '10)

I assume she rolls slow and gentle like.No deep heavy keel to snap her back up.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:08 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
I assume she rolls slow and gentle like.
A description of the Scout 30's roll characteristics may depend on the disposition of the owner! Capt. Bob Volk, ex owner of the well-traveled Scout RIMA, told me that she could snap-roll as easily as an aerobatic biplane!

I have always been a small boat enthusiast, so I don't mind the roll, although all the cabinet doors below are tied during passages. Many stores were launched across the cabin during our first rough conditions: a clear sky crossing Lk Michigan from So. Haven to Chicago in 5-7ft seas in late Oct '09. Several times we took green water over the bow, and several times the towed dinghy went completely airborne. (We were very late getting off the lake, and had only a 20hr weather window to reach Chicago.)

I have since learned to trust and appreciate her lively motion, although it often helps to hang on to something!
Old 08-21-2012, 06:18 PM   #37
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Sounds like you guys have enough Scout interest and owners to start a Scout Forum right here on TF.

I hope you post more pics, interior and exterior. Beautiful boat, gents!!
Old 08-21-2012, 07:53 PM   #38
Veteran Member

When I found my Scout on Yachtworld it was at the Toledo Beach Marina. It had been storming for several days before I flew up to see it. When we took her out for a sea trial the waves were very regular, steep & so tall that the bow of the large Hunter sailboat following us was coming out of the water enough that I could see the keel. I had the helm as the owner had gone forward to close the ports. When I brought her around I intentionally took a wave broadside. The boat handled it fine & we were never close to capsizing or getting water in the cockpit. I did however scare the crap out of the salesman riding with us who promptly asked me never to do that again. I told him if I was going to buy her I needed to see what she could take & I did.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:43 AM   #39

City: Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Vessel Name: Evergreen
Vessel Model: Fairchild Yachts Scout 30
I like the idea of a Scout Forum....
Old 08-23-2012, 06:09 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Gary View Post
I like the idea of a Scout Forum....
As do I. Having just joined this forum, I'm not sure how to go about making that happen, but I will gladly lend support.

Just removed both fuel tanks yesterday. Will have them shortened because, at my rate of consumption, there's no reason for me to be carrying 100gal of fuel around. I think I'll use the new additional space on each side (aft of the shortened tanks) for 2 batteries. I'll be changing out hoses for scuppers, tank vents, etcetc that look like no one has touched them for many years. Am looking for small contortionist to help with that project!

In the off chance that a new Scout 30 Forum would be interested in such things as 'removing fuel tanks', or 'reworking the engine space', I think pix of such things might be of interest. For example, PRINCE OF TIDES has a wonderful engine space, as I'm sure do others. Owner Michael Lanier would be very interested and helpful on such a forum.

Closed Thread

Tags
scout