Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-09-2014, 08:03 AM   #1
Veteran Member
 
Jamup's Avatar
 
City: Virginia Beach
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Bay Tripper
Vessel Model: '06 MS 34 Pilot
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 60
1980 Mainship 34 $22.5K

1980 34' Mainship Trawler
__________________
Advertisement

Jamup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:06 AM   #2
Veteran Member
 
Jamup's Avatar
 
City: Virginia Beach
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Bay Tripper
Vessel Model: '06 MS 34 Pilot
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 60
So if you put in another 27.5K would you have a reliable vessel you'd be proud of (subjective, I know)? I appreciate that there are many variables including but not limited to: How much of the work can/will I do myself- assume moderately handy. The actual condition of the boat isn't really exposed in the ad. What should I look out for? What should make me run? And yes I appreciate that a survey is an essential part of the buying process.
__________________

Jamup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 11:55 AM   #3
Guru
 
pilothouse king's Avatar


 
City: St. Lucie VILLAGE -NOT- Port St. Lucie!!!!!
Country: USA
Vessel Model: 15' Hobie Power Skiff w/90hp Yamaha-owned 28 years. Also a 2001 Bayliner 3788 that I took in trade
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 533
Haven't said this in 20 years regarding one of these, but nice looking boat.
__________________
.
Blake Davis Yacht Brokerage Inc

Yacht Broker/Owner since 1984, Florida License #32
pilothouse king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 04:48 PM   #4
Guru
 
djmarchand's Avatar
 
City: East Greenwich, RI
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,882
I haven't a clue what this specific boat looks like. All I can see is that the paint is pretty on the Perkins, but....

For that price I would expect a rather tired and maybe ratty boat: stained and sagging headliner, cracked countertops, water stains under windows from leakage, a rats nest of wiring from PO "upgrades". These are what you find on boats like this. If minimal or none, then it may be a true bargain.

But maybe you are ok with the above and for the price you can live with tired and ratty.

David
djmarchand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 05:13 PM   #5
Guru
 
ben2go's Avatar
 
City: Upstate,SC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: The Caroliner
Vessel Model: Plans to build 30' Spira Sitka
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,080
It's pretty nice for what it is.If there's records to prove the rebuild,it would probably be worth it,if someone is looking to modernize a boat.That rear glass wall is a little bit of a turn off for me.Something rolling around in the cabin could make for an expensive repair.
__________________
BEN'S BOAT BLOG

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:24 PM   #6
Guru
 
pilothouse king's Avatar


 
City: St. Lucie VILLAGE -NOT- Port St. Lucie!!!!!
Country: USA
Vessel Model: 15' Hobie Power Skiff w/90hp Yamaha-owned 28 years. Also a 2001 Bayliner 3788 that I took in trade
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
I haven't a clue what this specific boat looks like. All I can see is that the paint is pretty on the Perkins, but....

For that price I would expect a rather tired and maybe ratty boat: stained and sagging headliner, cracked countertops, water stains under windows from leakage, a rats nest of wiring from PO "upgrades". These are what you find on boats like this. If minimal or none, then it may be a true bargain.

But maybe you are ok with the above and for the price you can live with tired and ratty.

David
The ratty ones have been selling for WAY less than this. This is what decent ones are asking.
__________________
.
Blake Davis Yacht Brokerage Inc

Yacht Broker/Owner since 1984, Florida License #32
pilothouse king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:29 AM   #7
FF
Guru
 
FF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,531
Doesnt look very ratty in the photos,

If someone wanted a good ICW,Bahamas, looper or Inside Passage boat it might do just fine.

Doesnt say what the reefer is , but $1200 would get a fresh DC unit , and away you go!
FF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 03:41 PM   #8
Newbie
 
City: Toronto
Country: Canada
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 4
Has this boat been sold? If its still available where can I find a photo gallery? Thanks.
sailnkdbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:38 PM   #9
Guru
 
LaBomba's Avatar
 
City: Beaverton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Airswift
Vessel Model: Ontario Yachts Great Lakes 33
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailnkdbob View Post
Has this boat been sold? If its still available where can I find a photo gallery? Thanks.
Welcome Sailnkdbob, do I detect you are moving from sail to motoring??
__________________
Allan & Ann
Airswift
LaBomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:43 PM   #10
Newbie
 
City: Toronto
Country: Canada
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 4
Mainship 34

Yes, LOL, your assumption is right. After a lifetime of heaving decks, project boats and joint replacements the time has come to take a sober second look at self abuse. Stop that thought right there!

A trawler or twin Detroits have been on my horizon for a couple of years now and I'm kicking myself that I passed up a fantastic deal in Fort Lauderdale in the last year or so when I sold a beautiful West Indies Heritage 36 that sold at a bargain basement price. It didn't help that my wife said I was bankrupting us, but its far too late to replace her now so the boat went and that created more agony.

As a Snowbird I love southern Florida and my Winn Dixie loyalty card that gets me cheap beer and a tank of gas for the long drive home. That's the long answer, otherwise, yes.
sailnkdbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 04:11 PM   #11
Guru
 
ben2go's Avatar
 
City: Upstate,SC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: The Caroliner
Vessel Model: Plans to build 30' Spira Sitka
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailnkdbob View Post
Yes, LOL, your assumption is right. After a lifetime of heaving decks, project boats and joint replacements the time has come to take a sober second look at self abuse. Stop that thought right there!

A trawler or twin Detroits have been on my horizon for a couple of years now and I'm kicking myself that I passed up a fantastic deal in Fort Lauderdale in the last year or so when I sold a beautiful West Indies Heritage 36 that sold at a bargain basement price. It didn't help that my wife said I was bankrupting us, but its far too late to replace her now so the boat went and that created more agony.

As a Snowbird I love southern Florida and my Winn Dixie loyalty card that gets me cheap beer and a tank of gas for the long drive home. That's the long answer, otherwise, yes.

__________________
BEN'S BOAT BLOG

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 04:56 PM   #12
Guru
 
Mule's Avatar
 
City: Fort Pierce
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,787
You just missed my remanufactured 82.... PM me before you buy a 34 MK 1,2 or3. I have the canceled checks, blisters, blood, sweat and tears to prove I am an authority on those vessels. Re done every system (replaced or rebuilt) on the boat and addressed all the deck, cockpit and bridge design FUBARS.
Mule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 05:25 PM   #13
Newbie
 
City: Toronto
Country: Canada
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 4
Thanks Mule, I'll keep that in mind.
sailnkdbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 05:39 PM   #14
Guru
 
Mule's Avatar
 
City: Fort Pierce
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,787
Here she is, if sale falls through I will let Ya know

http://.yachtworld.com/boats/1982/Ma...s#.VB3zbn73arU
Mule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 11:31 PM   #15
Newbie
 
City: Toronto
Country: Canada
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 4
Thanks again. I did see that listing as I was going through Yacht World. Cheers
__________________

sailnkdbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012