Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 11:34 AM   #1

1977 34 Marine Trader

* Hello All,

I Recently got out of sailboating and looked at a 1977 Marine Trader 34 footer.

Not familiar with these and am somewhat apprehensive.*

The Lehman Ford has 3,200 hours. Owner has installed new cooling hoses, exchanger etc.*and*fuel tanks.*The bottom paint is a*very moon like surface with many blemishes painted over for years.

I have read about the*cabin top fatigue from moisture and not sure if this could be a problem. One that would show when 6 people decide to go up there?

Suggested I want a survey.Seller says that a survey would just point out many items that are not really necessary and to just*buy the boat and enjoy it!

Not exactly what I need to hear. Should I run away from this one?

Thanks,

*JCDSAIL

Old 04-11-2011, 12:23 PM   #2
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht
RE: 1977 34 Marine Trader

Quote:
JCDSAIL wrote:

* Hello All,

I Recently got out of sailboating and looked at a 1977 Marine Trader 34 footer.

Not familiar with these and am somewhat apprehensive.*

The Lehman Ford has 3,200 hours. Owner has installed new cooling hoses, exchanger etc.*and*fuel tanks.*The bottom paint is a*very moon like surface with many blemishes painted over for years.

I have read about the*cabin top fatigue from moisture and not sure if this could be a problem. One that would show when 6 people decide to go up there?

Suggested I want a survey.Seller says that a survey would just point out many items that are not really necessary and to just*buy the boat and enjoy it!

Not exactly what I need to hear. Should I run away from this one?

*Thanks,

*JCDSAIL

*Don't run away, but do insist on a survey. If they won't allow a survey, do run, and run fast.

Old 04-11-2011, 01:07 PM   #3
Guru

1977 34 Marine Trader

I bought a similar boat about a year and a half ago (1979 Europa sedan). I've been pleased with my purchase since the day I steped aboard as the new owner. However, I think one should never buy a boat without a good survey. The surveyor will point out a number of issues, some are critical, some are important, some are minor and some will be purely cosmetic. The survey has two important benefits: you will know what you're getting yourself into and you will have more negociating power, hopefully allowing you to pay the fair value of the vessel given its real condition.

Any taiwanese trawler of that age will show some issues (rotten decks, especially if there is teak). Everything can be fixed. If you're handy you can do most of the work yourself and save a lot of money. If not you can hire someone to do it but the costs might exceed the value of the boat. The survey will allow you to make that evaluation before committing yourself to the project. If you're new to trawlers, the survey will also contribute to your education on this type of vessel.

3,000 hours on a Lehman is nothing if it's been cared for. They can go to 10,000 before a refit.

Bottom paint, not an issue in my mind if there is no blistering.

Rotten decks: a bit more serious but can be fixed if the dammage is not extensive.

The other thing to consider is the electrical system on a boat that old. I had to redo mine almost entirely.

-- Edited by Fotoman on Monday 11th of April 2011 01:13:14 PM
Old 04-13-2011, 11:15 AM   #4

RE: 1977 34 Marine Trader

John,

As Carey said, and Fotoman expounded on, you must have a survey done to protect yourself. *I'd also suggest a diesel survey (probably 2-3 hundred more) to get a baseline for the shape of the Lehman. If there's excessive metal wear it will show then too. These are small prices to pay when you consider the cost if you buy a boat that needs work you discover after signing the papers.

Anyone trying to sell you on the idea of, "Just buy the boat and enjoy it" is either very naive to buying/selling boats or is trying to hide something. Only a good survey, by a reputable surveyor of YOUR choice, will tell the truth. If you don't know of one, talk to boaters in your area or check*http://www.boatus.com/insurance/survey.asp*for more info.

Just my two cents.

Mike

Brookings, Oregon
Closed Thread