Selene 47 opinions please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm kinda prejudiced towards mine, so not sure how subjective I can be.

For the money, hard to find another make that is as capable as our Selene.

But, if its not maintained properly no matter who makes it, you should walk away.

PM me if you need more info.

Cheers,

Are you single screw now?

Also depends on what boating you want to do. If coastal there are many solid boats with good salon and cabin space and ER space, so be careful not to limit yourself and get sucked in by good marketing.

All the best with your decision.

Are you single screw now?

Also depends on what boating you want to do. If coastal there are many solid boats with good salon and cabin space and ER space, so be careful not to limit yourself and get sucked in by good marketing.

All the best with your decision.

Im single Cummins 330 now with front and rear thrusters .

We are VERY VERY limited in available boats here .For instance if I market my 2006 IG 32 it will be the only IG from 1998 to 2007 for sale in 8 months market . So the same for this 47

Follow this blog-

Home

Brian Calvert has a Selene 47 that he captained from Seattle to the South Pacific, as far south as Sydney, and as far north as Thailand. He is currently in the Philippines.

Great boat Gaston. If I could afford it, it'd be GONE. Get my drift..? See my PM, by the way.

Gaston, if you can afford it I honestly don't think you can go wrong. Assuming you are not out spending your mission!! I would imagine there is a lot of big water around your neck of the woods so it would serve you well in that regard. Go fo it. A Selene could be in my future if I am lucky!!!

The Selene 53 had me at the moment that I stepped on board, and a pretty wee thing handing out brochures, said, "you smell nice", and that was just my aftershave. Kevin Klein I think it was..? It just got better from there...
I just wish the pocket was up to it. :D

Traveling with Pairadice I have come to know the Selene and I am impressed. A very capable boat, nice layout. I now know what life is like at 7.5kts.

Here's the blog of a Selene 53, Mystic Moon, currently in Malaysia. They were in the Eastern Caribbean in 2012 so they must like the boat since they are still out there. :)

I've heard owners of other boats put Selene's down, but I've only ever heard of happy and satisfied Selene owners.

I've heard owners of other boats put Selene's down, but I've only ever heard of happy and satisfied Selene owners.

I must say I have never heard Selenes (or Kady Krogens or Nordhavns) "put down."

I have read many times of how one needs to really analyse their cruising plans and make sure that the boat they get is right for the purpose. That means not under or over buying.

I must say I have never heard Selenes (or Kady Krogens or Nordhavns) "put down."

I have read many times of how one needs to really analyse their cruising plans and make sure that the boat they get is right for the purpose. That means not under or over buying.

I have. Also heard KK's put down. By the same Nordhavn owner and his fanatic friend. Honestly, can't think of any boat I haven't ever heard criticized and that includes Feadship.

FWIW, I think Selena's are beautiful boats. I've never seen one that didn't take my breath away just a little bit.

Not to say that one would be a smart choice for me, but they pretty to look at.

I surely do hope for your sake Mrs. Hays doesn't get to reading about Selena takin' your breath away.

A bigger Selene or a Nordy or a KK has a severe effect on my breathing. They also have a serious effect on my bank account.

But seriously, we are probably gonna step up to a 55 in the next year or so. Spending 180-210 days a year on a 47, even it kinda gets cramped. In a couple more years, ill probably say the same about a 55 too.

Did spend some time with the owners of a Nordy 55 this morning, what a nice boat.......Drool!

I really Like the Selene's, nice boats. My only caution is to watch out for blistering, they had a few issues with this, especially the earlier models.

A bigger Selene or a Nordy or a KK has a severe effect on my breathing. They also have a serious effect on my bank account.

But seriously, we are probably gonna step up to a 55 in the next year or so. Spending 180-210 days a year on a 47, even it kinda gets cramped. In a couple more years, ill probably say the same about a 55 too.

Did spend some time with the owners of a Nordy 55 this morning, what a nice boat.......Drool!

You drooled over the Nordy, but in terms of your type cruising and comfort, it would seem to me the Selene of the same length matches far better. The livable and usable space. Would you agree? Disagree?

Gaston,

The boat has "presence"and a wow factor that's off the planet.............

My thoughts are more to do with the quantum leap from your IG 32 to the Selene - virtually double the length - definitely something you couldn`t single handle - ginormous leap in maintenance, parking costs cost etc etc. For a boat that size, will you need some sort of coxswains ticket? or will a tinnie boating licence do?

Still, after all that, refer back to my opening statement:)

Brisyboy; said:
definitely something you couldn`t single handle
If you are referring to Gaston specifically, I can't address that but, in general terms, half this forum could make that jump.

Well a couple anyway.

As an owner of a Selene 43 (well, a Solo which is the predecessor to the Selene, same hull, same yard prior to the yard taking over) I can attest to the build of the boat. I've worked on several Selene's and am pretty familiar with the boats. They're made well.

Every Selene is built for its owner, no spec/stock boats, so each one is somewhat unique, carrying the original owner's preferences. They are a handsome boat, despite my bias as an owner. Our boat is 18 yrs old; everywhere we stop we are complimented on the boat. It is a head turner. We are surprised at the number of radio calls we get from commercial captains just asking about the boat and passing compliments.

The responsiveness of the yard can be seen in the improvements incorporated into each successive hull, the build process involves the owners, and it's evident in the evolution of the line. By and large, Selene owners love their Selene's. We're no exception. We've cruised the eastern seaboard from the Gaspe to the Raggeds, and enjoy the solid feel of the boat, the stabilized hull, and the comfortable ride.

Regarding the blister problem related by another poster; there were some gelcoat blister problems in some 2008-9 ? hulls, it was cosmetic, and the yard did repair most of them, to my knowledge. Evidently, the Chinese have a philosophy regarding warranty that can be at odds with American's expectations, so I understand there were some disagreements, but no manufacturer is immune from those issues, and to say that the blister problems were anything but cosmetic isn't accurate, and probably doesn't appreciably devalue the boat, especially 9 yrs out. Even Nordhavn's have tank leaks. <G>

The joinery work is top notch, it rivals the finest furniture. Since all commissioning of new boats includes any electronics, there's a wide array of how a Selene might be equipped. There's very little "standard package" that applies, each boat is tailored to the owner's needs and desires.

The boats seem to hold their value well, and new Selene's tend to deliver as much or more boat for the dollar, IMO, but I'm not in the market class that's buying a 55 or 60 footer, so my opinion isn't well qualified! Their marketing is pretty low key, I suppose that helps keep costs down.

So.... we do love our Selene! (Even if it is a Solo)!

Last edited:
Steve,

Well said. Haven't met a Selene owner that didn't love their boat.
We have friends that have 4314 and it says Solo and Selene on it, wonder when they actually named them Selene.

We love our 47 and are having a great cruise this year. This year will decide if we jump up to a 55 or.........
Salt Heart, a 62 is just a few slips down from us here In Hoonah, another gorgeous boat.

Right now the Selene site is showing almost a dozen Selene's in BC and AK that are actively cruising, we know most of them.

Cheers,

Gaston,

The boat has "presence"and a wow factor that's off the planet.............

My thoughts are more to do with the quantum leap from your IG 32 to the Selene - virtually double the length - definitely something you couldn`t single handle - ginormous leap in maintenance, parking costs cost etc etc. For a boat that size, will you need some sort of coxswains ticket? or will a tinnie boating licence do?

Still, after all that, refer back to my opening statement:)

If the boat has bow and stern thrusters, it can be run single handed. Ive done it a few times. The admiral really appreciates when I pin Pairadice against the dock, she has plenty of time to handle the lines without rushing, both arriving and departing.

My question is, why have you not signed the papers yet.
Get all over it like a cheap suite, you won't regret it.
See you in the Whitsundays real soon.

If the boat has bow and stern thrusters, it can be run single handed. Ive done it a few times. The admiral really appreciates when I pin Pairadice against the dock, she has plenty of time to handle the lines without rushing, both arriving and departing.

Hang on a tick - while you are pinning it to the dock with the thrusters and the boss is casually running the mooring lines - that makes two! if you are all alone and pinning it to the dock with the thrusters, who runs the lines?

Every Selene is built for its owner, no spec/stock boats, so each one is somewhat unique, carrying the original owner's preferences. )!

Not to quibble, but this is not so. Howard Chen has built many Selenes on spec over the years. I've been on three. One of which we tried very hard to close the deal on. As with any vessel, there are build issues on Selenes that range from aggravating to serious.

A good survey is required, no surprise. In Seattle a couple of surveyors are Selene smart and are able to quickly get into the known trouble spots. For the vessel in question an experienced surveyor who has looked at dozens of Selenes is likely not possible. Over hyping will do the potential buyer no good. It is a boat, likely a very good one. But it's history and current condition should be ascertained by a pro.

A must read is Brian Calvert's blog. Then communicate with him if you have the inclination. Few know Selenes better than Brian, especially the 47s.

Last edited:
Hang on a tick - while you are pinning it to the dock with the thrusters and the boss is casually running the mooring lines - that makes two! if you are all alone and pinning it to the dock with the thrusters, who runs the lines?

Single handed, you might have to make a couple trips back onboard, especially with current or wind, but doable. Forward spring and stern lines, then the bow and aft spring. The lines are set on the railing and within reach from the dock.

Down in Portland, I saw a older couple put a 70 ft coastal cruiser in there dock and he did it by himself, she is in a wheel chair. He has variable speed thrusters on remote. Sweet setup.

Single handed, you might have to make a couple trips back onboard, especially with current or wind, but doable. Forward spring and stern lines, then the bow and aft spring. The lines are set on the railing and within reach from the dock.

Down in Portland, I saw a older couple put a 70 ft coastal cruiser in there dock and he did it by himself, she is in a wheel chair. He has variable speed thrusters on remote. Sweet setup.

The one thing to add in addition to thrusters for easy in single handing a boat that size is a remote station, wired or wireless. I read of all those talking about the view when docking stern to, but the solution is a stern station where you can guide it in perfectly. Same with stations on side decks. These were once very expensive luxuries but cost is way down on them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom