My new Selene

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Captain Sea,

Kudos on your Selene marriage.

2 comments:

1. Try to get the original CAD schematic files from Howard @ Jet Tern since you will need them for future modifications on your ship. He won't give them to me on S4326 and I'm SOL with all the modifications and improvements over the past 12 years.

2. Definitely hook up with Selene Owners website. Mark T does a super job in making it secure for Selene owners. Many, many, many of the Selene owners are super experienced and just nice folks:)

~Lucky Chucky
mv Ho'okipa
S4326

Wifey B: 6'2" 205 lbs. :rofl:

I'm guessing someone is going to be in apology land soonest...

By the OP, great new yacht and a beautiful part of the world to spend time with it. Hope to continue to see you around posting your adventures!

Last edited:
Welcome.

That is a lot of boat! I can't wait to see the helm and other interior shots.

I'm guessing someone is going to be in apology land soonest...

By the OP, great new yacht and a beautiful part of the world to spend time with it. Hope to continue to see you around posting your adventures!

Wifey B: No, just teasing the poster. I would never refer to my hubby as paid crew plus he's much taller than 6'2". :)

Congratulations CaptainSea, You do indeed have a beautiful boat.
What are the tankage volumes, and what engines did you have installed?

Congratulations CaptainSea, You do indeed have a beautiful boat.
What are the tankage volumes, and what engines did you have installed?
Hi,
Thank you for your message, she carries 9,900 liters of Fuel, she is equipped with twin Cummins 455 hp each, two Kohler gensets 28 and 16 KW, hydraulic pumps on each main engines and PTO on 28 kw generator

Did you consider the Flemming 78 which seems to be a very similar boat. How did they compare and what influenced your decision.

David
Hi, sorry for the late reply, I did reply already but my message didn’t go through.
I considered only FD hulls and fiber ( no steel nor aluminum) my choice was then narrowed down to two brands, Nordhavn and Selene, there are both very capable ocean explorers, craftsmanship is excellent, systems are bulletproof so it was just down to the $$$...

HI,

I will take delivery of my new Selene 80, the M.Y TeoraTera, by end of March. She is a beautiful 78Ft full displacement, bulbous bow, twin Cummins, Bow and Stern thrusters, Zero speed Stabs and specifically designed for offshore fishing. She will be based in Thailand. I will post photos once available after delivery as well as full specs.

Congratulations, and she's a handsome vessel, well-proportioned. And you'll be operating her in one of the world's most desirable tropical cruising grounds.

Make certain you sea trial her and her systems to the fullest extent possible as soon as possible, including operating on house batteries alone for an extended period if she's set up to do this, as well as running her relatively hard. Load the gensets and shore power with all loads that might be operated simultaneously. Among other things, run her at cruising speed for at least 8 hours to "heat soak" the engine room, while measuring engine air inlet temperature, as well as the temp of the exterior of the dry portion of the exhaust. If something is going to fail or not work properly, this is the time to find out.

This article on sea trials my be useful to you http://stevedmarineconsulting.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/SeaTrialsProBoat145B.pdf

Boat builders typically want to identify issues early on, during commissioning, when the boat is nearby and conveniently located for service, so you'll be doing them a favor by identifying issues sooner rather than later.

I would make this recommendation for any make/model of vessel.

I go a couple of steps further in my recommendations. I recommend surveys of all new boats and I recommend extensive shake down cruises. Steve's 8 hour recommendation is right on target but I recommend repeating over the course of a week or two weeks or more, all in the area of the builder or dealer. Westport has always had a unique approach that I think works. They sea trial extensively before turning the boat over to you. Then they send a member of their staff with you for a week or more of cruising. Issues that can be addressed on board are done so and any others noted. They directly observe what is going on. Then you return to their location and they take care of any items then before you take off for parts unknown a while later.

Don't leave with outstanding issues. If they're challenging initially, they're only going to be more so if you allow time to lapse.

Steve writes, Boat builders typically want to identify issues early on, during commissioning, when the boat is nearby and conveniently located for service, so you'll be doing them a favor by identifying issues sooner rather than later. Well, you want this whether the builder does or not.

My comments also apply to any boat. People talk about problems for the first year with new boats. Follow these steps and you won't have them like others encounter. Don't be in a hurry to take off on a long trip either. Allow time to get everything addressed first.

"so you'll be doing them a favor by identifying issues sooner rather than later."

A very big favor as the more faults that can be found the easier it becomes to modify the build to make the flaws a non issue.

This saves the builder bucks , and improves his reputation.

I go a couple of steps further in my recommendations. I recommend surveys of all new boats and I recommend extensive shake down cruises.... Don't be in a hurry to take off on a long trip either. Allow time to get everything addressed first.

I wholeheartedly agree with both of these recommendations. On the first, I routinely inspect new vessels and generate long to do lists. Even the best boat builders make honest mistakes and miss things. This is an example of an inspection report I wrote, https://stevedmarineconsulting.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/New_Vessel_Sample_Inspection_rev1.pdf on a newly commissioned motor yacht, it includes nearly 100 observations and recommendations.

On the second, again very good advice, ideally shake down cruises should be conducted in 'home waters', those that are familiar to the user, where known services and support are available, and of course where the builder is willing to travel if necessary.

I wholeheartedly agree with both of these recommendations. On the first, I routinely inspect new vessels and generate long to do lists. Even the best boat builders make honest mistakes and miss things. This is an example of an inspection report I wrote, https://stevedmarineconsulting.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/New_Vessel_Sample_Inspection_rev1.pdf on a newly commissioned motor yacht, it includes nearly 100 observations and recommendations.

On the second, again very good advice, ideally shake down cruises should be conducted in 'home waters', those that are familiar to the user, where known services and support are available, and of course where the builder is willing to travel if necessary.
Hi Steve, thanks for your advices, and inspection report, I will for sure get inspired by this report. Having had several boats and done few complete refits I fully agree with all the recommendations you guys are kindly giving to me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom