Old 11-11-2019, 06:19 PM   #41
JLD

City: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoWhat View Post
Yes, I think it was a joke. But anything on the internet automatically becomes law.

I didn't mean to dismiss the formula, as I think it does have some value. Sailboatdata.com does publish the comfort ratio number along with all of the other specs they list.

Many of the sailboats I like, actually have a medium to higher comfort ratio. That is in part because I like a comfortable cruising boat over a racer!

Jim

JLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 03:37 PM   #42
Veteran Member

City: Burns Lake
I commercial fished off the coast of British Columbia for 28 years. I owned three salmon trollers all built to fish and travel in adverse weather, if the skipper wished. I have owned a couple of larger pleasure boats, presently a 3870 Bayliner, built for PLEASURE if the name suggests their role in life?

I make it a point of never going out in adverse weather in a pleasure both unless I absolutely must. So far I have not had to and hope my pleasure boating continues that way.

On my commercial boats I had special plates install over the window as fellows I had fished with had either there glass blown out with a rough wave or the complete window with frame taken out. Just think about that for a minute. Think about how most pleasure boats are constructed. Now ask me about which pleasure boat is seaworthy?

Slider70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 03:52 PM   #43

City: Smyrna
Vessel Name: Lady Carmen
Vessel Model: Wellcraft Sportsman
Unsinkable is a good quality

To some a 21 Jon boat would not be a ocean going boat, but this one crossed over to Europe.

Theres a 11 part series on Prime Video titled I Am Second Voyage. Smallest powerboat crossing the Atlantic.

They set a world record. But also hold a record of going from the US to Bermuda and back.

An amazing trip but Im glad I wasnt on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4DD4B426-A3F6-457B-86B2-E7785324D4CE.jpeg
Views:	15
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	96480  
Nightflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 04:36 PM   #44
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
Enjoy your boat and when its really snotty stay in port and enjoy life.

Id rather be sitting happy in port enjoying life than braving huge seas in any recreational boat.

Learn your and your boats comfortable limitations through practice and enjoy your boat.
Excellent advice!
https://www.pacificnwboatertested.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 04:42 PM   #45
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider70 View Post
I commercial fished off the coast of British Columbia for 28 years. I owned three salmon trollers all built to fish and travel in adverse weather, if the skipper wished. I have owned a couple of larger pleasure boats, presently a 3870 Bayliner, built for PLEASURE if the name suggests their role in life?

I make it a point of never going out in adverse weather in a pleasure both unless I absolutely must. So far I have not had to and hope my pleasure boating continues that way.

On my commercial boats I had special plates install over the window as fellows I had fished with had either there glass blown out with a rough wave or the complete window with frame taken out. Just think about that for a minute. Think about how most pleasure boats are constructed. Now ask me about which pleasure boat is seaworthy?
↑↑↑ This! ↑↑↑

https://www.pacificnwboatertested.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote