Hull thicknesss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KingBuffalo

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
The Lady J
Vessel Make
Bluewater 40 Pilothouse
I have a 1979 Bluewater with a solid glass hull. I’m doing some blister repair work this summer and I’d like to know the hull thickness. Does anyone have any input on the subject?

I have a 1979 Bluewater with a solid glass hull. I’m doing some blister repair work this summer and I’d like to know the hull thickness. Does anyone have any input on the subject?

Another Bluewater PH! Welcome!

What year was the boat built?

Solid hull or foam cored?

On my 1976, the hull is between 3/4" and 1" on the bottom depending on area.

The sides are 3/8" to 1/2"

I've never seen a solid glass Bluewater with blisters. They were molded using a lot of resin rich mat which tend to discourage blisters.

I did hear of a Bluewater for sale in Des Moines a few years ago that had water saturated foam core resulting in blisters.

KingBuffalo

Where did you find the Bluewater? Previous name of boat?

Where do you keep the boat?

Which engine? How many?

It has been The Lady J for many years. It’s moored in Portland and has been for many years. It has dual Lehman 65s.

I've never seen a solid glass Bluewater with blisters. They were molded using a lot of resin rich mat which tend to discourage blisters.

Might want to check your terminology. FRP mat is the most likely fabric format to suffer from blisters due to the tens of millions of short fibers acting like wicks. Also a resin "rich" laminate would be weaker (more brittle) than a proper resin/glass ratio (2 - 2.5:1)

It is indeed weaker, but also more resistant to blisters, as blisters tend to form in the voids produced by a dry layup in the mat. Mat has very little strength either way.

It is indeed weaker, but also more resistant to blisters, as blisters tend to form in the voids produced by a dry layup in the mat. Mat has very little strength either way.

Voids are much more likely in mat than cloth or other woven formats

Correct, which is why a resin rich mat layup yields fewer blisters.

Correct, which is why a resin rich mat layup yields fewer blisters.

Sorry, I disagree.
Think of it this way … we know boats flex, add to that a brittle resin rich laminate that will develop thousands of micro-fractures. Under those micro-fractures throw in the tens of millions of wick ends of the 2” glass strands found in mat. There is no such thing as a void free laminate in production boats. Even vacuum infused laminates are not perfect and polyester resin is hygroscopic to boot. Do a search on Psneelds photos on this forum of his experience with this.

Pull a through hull and you will know... Look for one that either weeps or could use an upgrade re-enforcing plate on a valve so you don't feel bad about taking it apart :)

The short chopped fibers out of a chopper gun does not have binders to hold it together. The binders in CSM chemically change in the presence of water and cause blisters. The short fibers reduce wicking of water because of their length. Woven materials like cloth and roving can wick water along its entire length.

Steve C. D'Antonios said in his Ocean Navigator June 2004 article:

"We know today that the majority of osmosis problems originate from resin and glass fabric additives &mdash the water-soluble materials (WSMs) &mdash rather than insufficient wet-out of the fibers when the hull is laid up. Although poor wet-out can accelerate osmosis &mdash each glass filament that is not saturated with resin becomes a wick for water ingress into the FRP laminate &mdash it is of secondary concern. Short glass filaments, such as those used in chopped strand mat (CSM), tend to promote osmosis; however, as mentioned, it is really the emulsion binders found in this material that cause the problem. The short, wispy strands, which tend to poke through cured resin, are simply a vehicle for water molecules to reach the WSMs that lie within the laminate.

This theory is borne out by the fact that chopper gun-applied chop &mdash similar to CSM, but applied with a gun rather than in rolls &mdash is less likely to blister, once again citing the University of Rhode Island study. In spite of the fact that it, too, is made up of short, wick-like fibers, it lacks the binding agent found in roll mat. Because it is applied with a gun from a spool of material that passes through cutting or chopping blades, it requires no sizing to maintain its structure until laminated with resin.

It is ironic that chopper gun laminates &mdash frequently used in production boatbuilding and often looked down upon as machine- rather than hand-built laminates &mdash while perhaps not as sturdy as hand lay-ups, are less likely to fall prey to osmosis."

Last edited:
You could pull a thru-hull in the work area to check for hull thickness if in doubt.

Back
Top Bottom