Old 11-02-2019, 06:06 PM   #1
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Bluewater 40 Boat Deck & Roof Overhang Extension

Here are pictures from the boat deck roof repair and extension completed in 2013.

The back corners of the boat deck were soft from the "drain" that let water off the roof through the stainless steel roof support. When the pipe got clogged, water would stand in the pipe and leak into the plywood roof.

The solid mahogany trim around the roof was cracked and rotted in spots.

The hatch opening down to the cockpit and ladder were removed and closed off right after buying the boat to reinforce that area for a pipe davit and to make room for a dinghy. It is a lot easier to get on the boat deck via pilothouse and side steps.

While repairing the boat deck, decided to lengthen the boat deck roof to be even with the transom and extend the roof sides out 6 inches. The extra length of the roof allows a longer dinghy to be carried and provides more shade in the cockpit. The extended side overhang increases the shade for the side windows.

Laminated a strengthened a beam to carry the extra load of the larger dinghy. The beam is located where the original roof ends.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6752.jpg   IMG_6792.jpg   IMG_6794.jpg   IMG_6795.jpg  
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 06:10 PM   #2
Guru

These were taken before the project started. They shows the original roof configuration before widening and lengthening.

The last picture shows the added length.

I'll keep adding to this thread as time permits.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6660.jpg   IMG_6712.jpg   IMG_6797.jpg  
Old 11-03-2019, 09:17 AM   #3
Guru

The original roof was 3/4" mahogany plywood. The rotted section plus additional plywood was cut off. 3/8" was routed from the cut area for a lap joint. Two layers of 3/8" mahogany plywood was glued with staggered joints to create the half lap with the routed section.

WEST epoxy was used for all joints.

Mahogany roof beams were lengthened with scarf joints.

In these pictures, the side roof overhang was widened 6 inches by laminating additional mahogany to the existing overhang. See drawing.

New side trim, made of 1/2" plywood was scarfed to create a 12' long continuous piece. The trim was attached to the previously widened roof overhang.

The 3/4" roof drip edges are being glued to the top side of the roof and held in place by lots of clamps. The drip edge and the 3/4"plywood will allow a 1 1/2" landing for the rear trim.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6834.jpg   IMG_6835.jpg   Drawing.jpg  
Old 11-03-2019, 09:29 AM   #4
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Looks great!!!
I had considered extending the upper deck on my AT34 with fiberglass, covering the cockpit. I could install at least one more solar panel. I'll let the next owner do that. For now, I shall continue with a canvas top over the cockpit.
Old 11-03-2019, 10:26 AM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
Looks great!!!
I had considered extending the upper deck on my AT34 with fiberglass, covering the cockpit. I could install at least one more solar panel. I'll let the next owner do that. For now, I shall continue with a canvas top over the cockpit.
Extending a fiberglass roof would be a lot more difficult than my project. A mold would be required to mimic the existing roof.

Sandpiper was constructed like a wood boat above the deck. Extending the plywood roof was time consuming but simple wood construction.
Old 11-03-2019, 10:44 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Looks very nice and will be very practical in use. If you have a lot of tall pilings in your area you may experience the hardtop hitting the pilings when the boat rocks since the hardtop will be wider. The PO of my boat had that issue so he had the rub rail widened about 3 or 4” on each side. They scarfed in a teak extension to the existing teak toe rail. It was done very nicely and it makes a nice step when boarding or disembarking.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 10:49 AM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
Looks very nice and will be very practical in use. If you have a lot of tall pilings in your area you may experience the hardtop hitting the pilings when the boat rocks since the hardtop will be wider. The PO of my boat had that issue so he had the rub rail widened about 3 or 4” on each side. They scarfed in a teak extension to the existing teak toe rail. It was done very nicely and it makes a nice step when boarding or disembarking.
Thanks Dave.

Here in the PNW, we rarely tie up close to pilings. The pilings are inset on the dock so there is no interference with the roof overhang.
Old 11-03-2019, 02:31 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

That is good. I think you will like the new hardtop and the functionality of it. Particularly where it rains everyday...
Old 11-03-2019, 03:33 PM   #9
Guru

Decreasing width and curved plywood laminated to roof to create a beveled curve.

Could not use a simple angled trim because I needed a vertical surface on the inside face for the enclosure attachment snaps.

The plywood curved pieces were cut on a band saw from a pattern.

Also the thickness of the lamination adds strength to the cantilevered overhang.

The beam that the support tube attaches to was doubled and extended to the end for additional reinforcement.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6842.jpg   IMG_6841.jpg   IMG_6838.jpg  
Old 11-03-2019, 04:48 PM   #10
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Looks nice and a lot of work.
Old 11-03-2019, 05:14 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

For attaching the top of the enclosure, I really like using keder strips instead of snaps. It makes a very secure way to attach the sides, if you can fir the strips onto the hardtop.
Old 11-03-2019, 06:12 PM   #12
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
very nice work Syjos. Stacked ply is strong as hell
Old 11-03-2019, 07:15 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
For attaching the top of the enclosure, I really like using keder strips instead of snaps. It makes a very secure way to attach the sides, if you can fir the strips onto the hardtop.
Snaps is a generic term I use for all canvas fastners. I like Lift a Dot, which I used on this application.
Old 11-03-2019, 07:22 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor of Fortune View Post
very nice work Syjos. Stacked ply is strong as hell
Thanks. Yes, stacked ply is an inexpensive beam.

On the beam that was the original roof end, I laminated 1/2" bent solid mahogany alongside the original trim covered with packing tape. After laminations cured, took out the old solid mahogany and replaced it with plywood. That's the white wood alongside the plywood.
Old 11-03-2019, 07:34 PM   #15
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
Nice job . It’s hard to beat laminated plywood or laminated hardwood for strength..
Old 11-03-2019, 07:46 PM   #16
Guru

City: Bainbridge Island/Petersburg Alaska
Vessel Name: Oz
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40' RPH 1979
Looks great! For us-because we fish a lot out of the cockpit-it always seemed that a further extension would cause problems setting and fighting fish. Already have had several ferrules broken by over enthusiastic fisherfolks!

Tator
Tator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 08:09 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tator View Post
Looks great! For us-because we fish a lot out of the cockpit-it always seemed that a further extension would cause problems setting and fighting fish. Already have had several ferrules broken by over enthusiastic fisherfolks!

Tator
Thanks Tator.

I fish out of my tender.

Are you back?
Old 11-03-2019, 08:19 PM   #18
Guru

Comodave.

I did not want to hijack your tank replacement so I'll comment on a thread I started.

I think you are wise in proactively replacing the tank before you no longer can do the work. I'm doing a similar thing. I am in the process of replacing the raw styrofoam in my boathouse with encapsulated tubs. I need to replace 30 tubs. I did 10 last year, 10 this year and will do the final 10 next year.

I'll post pictures of that project this winter.
Old 11-03-2019, 08:29 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

I agree that doing some of the big jobs proactively is the way to go. I have had a lot of people tell me that I am crazy to replace a non leaking tank, but I really don’t think that in a few years I would have it left in me to do it...
Old 11-03-2019, 09:22 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
I agree that doing some of the big jobs proactively is the way to go. I have had a lot of people tell me that I am crazy to replace a non leaking tank, but I really don’t think that in a few years I would have it left in me to do it...
I think you're being smart replacing a tank before it goes.

A friend was up in the Broughtons BC this summer when one of his tanks suddenly started leaking. He luckily caught the leak early and disabled the bilge pumps before they started pumping. The leak was against the hull side so he was unable to stem the flow. He got to port and had the remaining fuel transferred to the good tank, fuel in the bilge pumped out, steam cleaned and went home on one tank. Upon return, the tank was removed, bilge steam cleaned again and the tank was reinstalled after replacing the bottom. After 3 months, the diesel odor still persists.

Yes, I can feel my enthusiasm for large projects waning as I get older. I used to be able to put in 8 - 10 hour days. Now 6 is the norm.