40' Bluewater pilothouse trawler yacht, Acapulco style.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delta_JimS

Does anyone have any specific, personal knowledge of this vessel?

40' Bluewater Trawler Motor Yacht 1972 | Brokerage Yachts - Crow's Nest Yachts

It is a 40' Bluewater pilothouse trawler yacht, Acapulco style.

This is the kind of boat I had an interest in when I bought my present trawler. At the time, there was only one other available, and it was near LA and not in that great of shape according to the owner.(no less)
Also, at the time, I was not so comfortable with the size as I am now. The next smaller version were a couple of Lord Nelson tugs. Bottom like on those, tooo "tuggy" and cultist priced.

The cockpit of the Bluewater is still too small to suit me, but close enough I could live with it - one of those compromises, you know. Other than that, she checks off pretty much all the boxes:
* Heavy enough to take down the coast.
* Single diesel.(the GM is another matter?)
* No Bridge deck to deal with.
* Portuguese Bridge.
* Port / Starboard Pilothouse access.
* Considerably larger ER.

These seem to be pretty rare and mostly on the West Coast. There is actually one several slips down from me in Antioch, but it is a twin, or I might pursue that one. The owner is not so happy he got it now, and seldom uses it. The condition is Fair and he was talking $60K.

As you can see, the Rendezvous is about 2x in price - for a 40+ yr. old Taiwanese Trawler. It appears to be in much better shape and well fitted out with a lot of nice cruising features. The electronics is a bit older.(but maybe I can get it discounted)
The owner must not be in any hurry to sell her as she has been for sale for years now.

I have not contacted the broker yet, but that is my next step after this inquiry. This boat has been really bugging me for a while now and I think the only way I will get a good nights sleep is to just go there to confirm condition and value by viewing and crawling her.

That 2x the average price really makes me sit up and scratch my head.
Are there any folks her with personal knowledge of her condition who can cure my insanity and save me a $$ trip to Vancouver WA?

Please PM me if you can help.

Thanks gang.

Attachments

• Rendezvous.jpg
    Rendezvous.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 301
We met a man and his wife . That were on our dock here in TN that had a Bluewater 40 just like it with a single but had a fly bridge . They brought the boat on its on bottom from San Deigo . They were just finishing up the loop and I think they are in Key West now . It had a single Ford Leaman . They were here about a year on and off and we became friends . I liked the boat . It seemed rugged . I could do with out flybridge but it didn't look bad . Plenty of room below with very comfortable pilot house . He was going to sell it when finishing the loop and get something smaller in San Deigo . That is all I can help with . Good luck that is a nice looking boat.

I remember that one in California - I think I posted it here as being interesting.

This one is / was clearly well loved, a good sign. If the pictures are current. Dual thrusters is a positive sign of investment. Not planning to drive to Portland anytime soon otherwise would take a look for you.

Was that flying bridge on the boat deck or on top of the pilothouse? Pretty far up there.

The one tthat was here had a bridge . It was set back a little and it didn't look bad . He could hardly see the bow ( and he was a tall guy ) and had to have a pole on the tip of the bow so he knew where it was while piloting from there .He did not have any thrusters .

Greetings,
Mr. DJS. No knowledge of this vessel at all. Personally, I judge a boats condition from the condition of the ER. On most vessels it seems to be the last place that receives attention and lack of attention in the ER suggests to me, at least, lack of attention overall. This listing is quite sparse on pictures and before I spent the time and $$, I would request many more pictures of the broker. Just MY $.02.

First of all, thanks again for all your help and support.
This is what makes TF great, and keeps me addicted all my waking hours.

I missed these first few posts because I was dealing with PMs.(not PMS) I will try now to catch up.

Marty,

Thanks for the background. I am wondering if that one in SD is the same one of the guy I talked to. Do not recall a flybridge, but was a single Lehman. The time frame and location sounds about right.
He must have wanted it pretty bad to truck it all the way East; probably $5k at least, plus his travel expenses out here several times.

The demand for rare old Pilothouse boats is also part of my problem. These appear to be pretty rugged boats, and I have seen the interior layout of the one on my dock and I like it!
The Acapulco is just a little bit bigger than the LN, but without the tuggy look or the LN cult.

If you run into this guy again, hook us up. If he really intends to sell after the loop, I could be interested. We have discussed retiring back East, perhaps along the Mississippi. It could be most convieient to have her already on the Loop.

Refugio,

Thanks much for the offer to check out the boat.

Regarding the flybridge boats, there was a battered one here around Brisbane, CA that just sold. I remember looking at the pictures of her on the web and thinking it looked "homemade". This weekend at the TF get together in Pittsburg, one of our own, scary, confirmed that he had seen the boat and confirmed that it did not look factory.

I have not yet found a lot of documentation on these old trawlers, but what I have would indicate that they did not come with a flybridge, but might have been quite amendable to adding one.

Greetings,
One other thing I didn't notice in the listing was tankage. Fuel, water and waste. Might be a blue water boat but may not have legs to go anywhere. All in all, I fault the broker for the sparse listing.

RTF,

Thanks always for your input. I totally agree with you regarding the condition of the ER. I have spent more time crawling around my cramped ER these last 4.5 years fixing deferred maintenence and upgrades than I have piloting!

Regarding pictures, yes that is top of my list if/when I contact the broker.
I saw several of the pictures that look to have been updated last April - like I said, she has technically been on the market for years.

The situation may be similar to mind. The owner may be winding down the ownership for whatever reason. Maybe he wants a smaller or newer or different style boat, but is in no hurry to sell - he obviously really enjoys her. He has set a price based on what he thinks she is worth and is willing to let the market come to him.
I am similar, I have not advertized for sale, but if someone walked up with a reasonable offer, I would take it as I must sell my current boat before buying another or wife has promised to divorce me and the boats!
In the meantime I will continue to maintain, upgrade and use my boat regularly as demonstrated last weekend in Pittsburg.

As Marty commented, she looks to be in great condition, with dual thrusters; maybe an 8 or even 9.(never seen or heard of a 10)
Point is, she has been lovingly cared for and invested in. Very hard to believe that the ER does not look the same - probably could eat and sleep there. I would be shocked, shocked if that is not the case.

Another personal rationalization for pursuing this Acapulco is what is often stated in this forum - buy condition! You will not regret it.

Greetings,
Mr. DJS. No knowledge of this vessel at all. Personally, I judge a boats condition from the condition of the ER. On most vessels it seems to be the last place that receives attention and lack of attention in the ER suggests to me, at least, lack of attention overall. This listing is quite sparse on pictures and before I spent the time and $$, I would request many more pictures of the broker. Just MY $.02.

RTF,

Good point. Yes, this listing is somewhat lacking. I suspect it may have to do with what I previously replied to you. The seller is only looking for serious buyers who are willing to work and dig a little to research the model, not tire kickers. Maybe not professional, but not lazy either - I would refer to the exhaustive items detail text.

I have now looked at, I think 4, on the web and all are about the same. Seems like enough tankage in these to 1000+ miles in fuel, (singe of course) and about half that in water; less in black water.

One of the other similar Acapulcos that I use for cross reference is this one:

1979 Bluewater Trawler Pilothouse Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

I am still building a library of info on these boats, and it is anything but organized at this point.

Greetings,
One other thing I didn't notice in the listing was tankage. Fuel, water and waste. Might be a blue water boat but may not have legs to go anywhere. All in all, I fault the broker for the sparse listing.

"...As Marty commented, she looks to be in great condition, with dual thrusters; maybe an 8 or even 9.(never seen or heard of a 10)
Point is, she has been lovingly cared for and invested in. Very hard to believe that the ER does not look the same - probably could eat and sleep there. I would be shocked, shocked if that is not the case.

Another personal rationalization for pursuing this Acapulco is what is often stated in this forum - buy condition! You will not regret it."

I think BUY condition makes such a difference. When a boat has been a mainened with cost not being an issue, every dollar the PO spent, is a dollar you will not have to spend.

When our KK42 came on the market, it was one of the highest priced east coast boats. But as we looked and looked, it became apparent that it was well worth the extra money.

In hindsight and after 7,000 nm and 2100 hours, that decision looks even better.

All the money we have spent on Dauntless went to either fuel or things I wanted to add. There has been no significant breakage or anything, parts, hoses, that need to be replaced.

Yes Richard, potential condition is what continually haunts me about this boat and keeps me awake at night. Keep thinking I can just get in, turn the key and head south for home.

Satori was quite the opposite initially; somewhat neglected but seaworthy enough for the Delta. I bought her in 2010 and spent the last 4 years working on defered maintenence and upgrades. I am not unhappy with her, and she makes a Great Delta boat with the Sedan style and large cockpit. I just feel she was not quite the style and size that I was aiming for 5 years ago, and she gets a little tighter everyday. I want those few extra feet and raised pilothouse like the LTs had; that style seemed very comfortable to me. the only downside I know for sure is the reduced deck handling access from the bridge compared with Satori which has great access.

Seems to me I've seen these under the Tayana name as well.
Always like the design, seems like a great sized couple cruiser.

Thanks Max,

You guys are torturing me....

Yes, the Tayana name is mixed in there somewhere also. Tayana is usually associated with sailboats built from the same yard, I believe.

Max,

Thanks for the link. I will try to run this down further. The ones I have seen on the web appear to have had their forward teak replaced by the looks of it.
Wow, really wish I could have seen these when new!

I have this exact same BLUEWATER 40 boat slipped in Long Beach, Ca. I bought her 2 years ago and love (almost:thumb:) everything this style/size boat offers. I too added a stern thruster (side power), new electronics(Garmin), glassed/non-skid the decks, and LP the entire boat.It was very hard to find this boat as stated. I only know about a half dozen that exist. A great feature is how large they are, but yet fit in a 35ft slip. She is built extremely stout(Like a Battleship), tracks very well (Full Keel and Full Displacement), great liveaboard space with big closets (wife loves the space),large ER, and clean timeless lines. I have all documentation (even the original art renderings by the naval architect) . Just PM me if you have any specific questions.

-Josh

Darn Josh, you just confirmed everything I was afraid of - she is what I have been looking for.
I will PM some questions later. Thanks for your reply!

I really like the design of these, except for maybe the big overbite of the pilot house windows. I'm not sure why these didn't get made in in the 100's since they seem like such a great layout in a modest and manageable length.

It appears that the forward cabin can only be accessed from the master on this particular boat. Is that correct? I would also be a bit hesitant about not having a secondary escape route from the forward cabin. There appears to be no hatch. I'd certainly install one, and in the mean time keep a fireman's ax in the forward locker.

Last edited:
Teg,

Yeah, that "over bite" (never quite knew what to call it), is a bit extreme, but goes along with a lot of oddities on boats that I bin in the "compromises" categories. My biggest disappointment is the small cockpit. This is a traditional relaxation area and should be much bigger in my opinion, but when you start fitting in a Pilothouse, 2 Cabins and a large Saloon, you have to trim somewhere to get under 40'. Personally, I would have fought the gates of hell to get another foot or 2 added to the cockpit before Production! Not that would have been a Very Fine vessel in my opinion.

I have always been a little curious about the production numbers as well. I suspect it did not appeal as well as the lower cost Tri-Cab models being built by numerous Taiwanese families competing for the market at the time, ultimately driving down the cost of those models considerably.
The other factor may well be the somewhat odd design - very appealing to some of us, but clearly not most. Who knows?

To be honest with you, I did not catch the cabin access issue. I am going to say that the amidship Captain's quarters has a separate door. I did notice though on the Bluewater on my dock that the Head had very cool, dual-access doors; just cannot remember if those were from the V-berth to Master, or a hallway. Will be sure to check next time. Since Josh says he has the Exact same vessel, perhaps he can shed some light on this issue.

As for escape access, you are quite accurate on the one in Vancouver, WA. Though, the one on my dock has a large deck box-like appendage which I take to be an access port, with possibly a drop-down chain ladder inside.(I will confirm) In any case, it would be high on the priority list.

Sure glad you guys chimed in on this discussion, really helps one see a boat from other's perspective on features or lack of - an invaluable guide before one plunks down hard-earned cash for another hole-in-the-water.

I've seen another listing for one of these that I was just smitten with. It had access to the forward cabin by a stair from the PH. Stairs eat up a lot of space so I'd expect in trade you would get a lot of storage.

Thanks for the Tip.
Really hard to believe they did not allow for an alternate exit somewhere. I will look for it.

Here is my 2nd access from the master. Its a 30x30 hatch that was original to the boat. This picture was taken while Awlgrip LP being applied (hence the blue tape on the window:).

The second picture is at the near completion of the paint job. At this point, I still needed to install the new rub rails, some colored striping around the bridge, and some other misc items. VERY VERY happy at the end, and well worth the hard work for such a beautiful looking boat restored.:thumb:

Attachments

• IMG_1291.jpg
    IMG_1291.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 580
  • IMG_1590.jpg
    IMG_1590.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 253
Great work JB,

I will need to get a picture of the one on our dock; it is similar to yours only taller and looks more like a dock box or Magician's box.

delta, here's some info on the Tayana 42 that I've been told is the same boat, hull etc as the bluewater 40,

img_325342_0_daaa182038597d1d417b0f57dfc97182.jpg

Tayana Raised Pilothouse Trawler, Ft. Myers, FL

Additional Specs, Equipment and Information:

Boat Name
Four Seasons

Specs
Designer: DeFever/Tayana

Dimensions
LOA: 42 ft 0 in
Beam: 14 ft 5 in
LWL: 37 ft 6 in
Maximum Draft: 4 ft 5 in
Displacement: 33000 lbs
Headroom: 6 ft 4 in

Engines
Engine 1:
Engine Brand: Lehman
Year Built: 1976
Engine Model: 2715E
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Engine Hours: 3865
Engine(s) Total Power: 120 HP

Engine 2:
Engine Brand: Lehman
Year Built: 1976
Engine Model: 2715E
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Engine Hours: 3865
Engine(s) Total Power: 120 HP

Tanks
Fresh Water Tanks: Aluminum (300 Gallons)
Fuel Tanks: Aluminum (300 Gallons)
Holding Tanks: (40 Gallons)

OutsideEquipment/Extras
Electric windlass

Accommodations

"Four Seasons" is a uniqueDeFever inspired design that incorporates the best features of the threetrawler types: Europa, "classic" and sundeck. From the raisedpilothouse you can access the side decks through port & starboard doors.Walking forward you reach the Portuguese bridge with door access to theforedeck and bow. Walking aft you go up 3 steps to the spacious sundeck. Fromthe pilothouse you can access the below decks guest & master staterooms viaa curved staircase and can access the aft galley and salon from the starboardside walkway. A door aft in the salon accesses the cockpit "backporch". Each area is spacious and loaded with ample cabinetry, lockers andstowage and most of all... Comfort with a view!

Raised Pilothouse: Helm surrounded by 360° of windows andtwo side deck doors. Helm chair for comfort followed by settee seating and atable. To port is a chart table and cabinetry with ample "library"space. Sole is well kept teak parquet. Settee can be converted to a double berth

Portuguese Bridge:Offers safe passage to the foredeck or aft to the sundeck or just a great placeto watch the world go by!

To the Staterooms: Down a curved stairway to a centralhall. Guest V Berth Stateroom is forward with dressing seat,hullside shelves, underberth drawers and storage, and a huge home-like"closet" that's too big to be called a locker! Ensuite bath withmarble vanity, srparate stall shower and VacuFlush head. Storage cabinetryabounds. Aft of the hall is the Master Stateroom with pullmandouble berth to starboard with storage cabinetry below, hanging lockers andmakeup vanity, tub/shower combo, VacFlush head and again, ample locker spacefor necessities.

Galley and Salon: This area can be reached from thepilothouse or from the master stateroom / below decks door. Galley & Salonis surrounded by windows making this a very comfortable light and bright area.Galley is located forward to port and has excellent food prep counter tops,exceptional cabinetry & storage and across to starboard you will find evenmore cabinetry along with a deep freeze and washer/dryer combo. Aft to port isthe salon with dining table and 3-side seating. Talk about dining with a view!This area can convert to a double berth if needed.

Aft Deck /Cockpit: Door from salon takesyou to the covered "back porch". The perfect morning coffee spot!Transom door accesses the swim platform.

Galley
Norcold Tec II upright AC/DC refrigerator - NEW 2013
  • Kenmore 5 cu. ft. deep freeze
  • Force 10 - 3 burner propane stove w/ oven - NEW 2011
Double deep S/S sink with pressure hot &cold

Freshwater system & 12 gal. water heater
  • Reverse osmosis water filtration system @ galley sink
  • Splendide washer/dryer system
  • Complete new propane system - NEW 2011
  • Expansive counter top food prep area
  • Exceptional storage cabinetry
  • 2 Gallon accumulator tank
Electronics

• Benmar Cetrek autopilot
  • Raytheon R80RC radar
  • Raytheon R72RC chart plotter
  • Ray Nav 300 GPS w/ antenna
  • 6" Globemaster compass
  • Raytheon L750 fis/depth finder
  • Raytheon 220 VHF marine radio w/ hailer and intercom to aft deck
  • SEA 235 SSB radio
  • Clarion stereo with pilothouse, lower level & aft deck speakers
Boat is wired for two TV locations

Electrical

• Battery bank: 4 - 6V house (2012), 2 - 8D engine (2012), 1 - Group 27 genset (2012), 1- Group 27 windlass & thruster (2012)
  • Onan 7.5 KW generator w/ remote panel 2006
  • Heart Freedom automatic battery charger
  • Heart 2000 watt inverter/charger with Link 2000 controller
  • Forward and aft shorepower connections
  • Two Blue Sea 3 position source selectors: forward/aft/ generator
  • (2) sets New eel 125v 30amp 50' power cords
  • Various power cord adaptors
  • Circuit breaker panel w/ gauges
  • Marinco compbination TV/telephone connection
Renewed all interior 12v lights and fixtures

Mechanical

• (2) Cruisair AC systems w/ SMX controls: 16k BTU's (2008), 17k BTU's (2013
  • (2) Automatic bilge pumps
  • Vetus BCS bow thruster 55 kgf (2012)
  • Borg Warner Velvet drive 2:1 transmissiom
  • Hydraulic steering wheel
  • Groco ARG raw water strainers (2008)
  • VacuFlush manual head w/ macerator & Y-valve
  • Holding tank monitor system
  • Engine & genset cooling systems refurbed (2013)
  • Engine fuel gauges (2012)
  • Racor fuel filter
  • Oil transfer system for engines and genset
  • Overhauled steering cylinder
  • Engines aligned
  • Overhauled raw water pumps
  • Cutlass Bearings (2001)
  • Dripless shaft seals
  • Drive shafts are S/S 1-3/4"
  • Engine room floor grate rebuilt 2013
  • Exhaust high temp alarms
  • Starters and alternators overhauled
  • Overflow system for freshwater cooling on both engines to prevent backflow
  • Props overhauled (22x15, 4-blade)
  • Rudders are 20"x26" w/ 2'4" rudder posts
  • Struts are bronze "Y" shaped w/ skegs
  • Bilge high water alarm
  • Walvac central vacuum system
  • Air conditioning pump rebuilt (2012)
Deck & Cockpit

• 45# S/S CQR type
  • Power Winch electric windlass - rebuilt in 2013
  • Crane on sundeck
  • Fender caddys forward and aft
  • Textilene pilothouse window covers
  • Port and starboard pilothouse doors
  • Bulwark doors port & starboard & from Portuguese bridge
  • Propane locker on sundeck
  • New Bomar hatches
Fresh brightwork 11/2013

• Outboard motor mount
  • Manual dinghy davits
  • Salon door to aft cockpit
  • Storage lockers at bridge
  • Salt & freshwater deck washdown system
  • Transom door to swim platform
  • Swim ladder
  • Mast hinges for bridge clearance
  • Aqua Signal model 40 nav lights
  • (4) Life jackets
  • USCG safety package
Brokers Comments/ Additional Information

You will be hard pressed to find a better built, better equipped 42' trawlerfor this kind of money. Seller is knowledgable and has maintained "FourSeasons" well with continuous upgrading. With her fuel sipping 120 H.P.Lehman's (3.4 GPH) She would be the perfect boat for the "Great Loop"or Island hopping in the Bahamas.

• Hull was stripped and barrier coated in 2008 & Fresh bottom paint in mid 2012

Glad to help in any way Delta.

I looked at that Bluewater in Portland and it's pretty rough, which is why it's so cheap.

The ceilings is molding, the roofs over the pilot house and saloon need to be replaced, and maybe some deck work, but a nice renovation would make it shine.

They're pretty boats, good ocean goers, but for me the draft is just a bit too deep for what I need one for.

I'll post more photos of this if you would like!

tgavas,

Are you sure you are not confusing the 1972 Bluewater with the 1979 one, this one:

1979 Bluewater Trawler Pilothouse Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Reports that I have are that the '72 is in good shape, but the '79 does have a lot of water damage and rot issues. These are not the same boats.

That's exactly what I found, the 79 was trashed, (But with a lot of work and maybe $50,000 could be a nice boat), and the 72 was immaculate.

The Tayana was also very nice, well taken care of.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom