Old 01-19-2015, 09:43 AM   #21
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
We called a local marina about availability of a slip for a 44' powercat with a 19' beam on annual contract. They said their 50' slips were 19' wide and they would have to put it in a 60' slip and charge at a 55' rate. That would be $3 per ft more plus tax than a 44' with a 15' beam.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 01:02 PM   #22
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
We called a local marina about availability of a slip for a 44' powercat with a 19' beam on annual contract. They said their 50' slips were 19' wide and they would have to put it in a 60' slip and charge at a 55' rate. That would be $3 per ft more plus tax than a 44' with a 15' beam.

That's was my issue with the Endeavor 44 Trawlercat we looked at. Wife loved the boat but it was just too wide for my available slips.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:08 PM   #23
Guru

Wide cats are good for charter and travel where a lot of swinging on the hook happens. The Sail and motor sailor versions have found many happy couples especially cruising in warmer climates. The pure power versions may not be as well suited to that life style.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:47 PM   #24

City: Kalamazoo
I have had a few tours of power cats but never ownwed or cruised on one. I did however get this article today from passage maker about Aquila Cats with Latitude. Shows a 44 and a 48 and claims you can have it all and cross the ocean too !!

I had no idea that Cats could make good ocean crossing boats but then again I dont really know much about them....Just thought I would throw this in just in case some one was interested in them......
Fish Catcher Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 12:10 AM   #25
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Catcher Jim View Post

I had no idea that Cats could make good ocean crossing boats but then again I dont really know much about them....Just thought I would throw this in just in case some one was interested in them......
Better be a very small ocean since the best range with their largest fuel availability at their slowest speed is barely 1000 nm and actually much less since they have the audacity to publish numbers based on a 5% reserve.

Popular boat for the Caribbean I'm sure but not for ocean crossing.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 12:16 AM   #26

City: Kalamazoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Better be a very small ocean since the best range with their largest fuel availability at their slowest speed is barely 1000 nm and actually much less since they have the audacity to publish numbers based on a 5% reserve.

Popular boat for the Caribbean I'm sure but not for ocean crossing.
Too Funny !!
Fish Catcher Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 07:24 AM   #27
FF
Guru

As an early multihuller (had a 45 ft Tri built in then British Honduras in the 1960s) the word was

Cats for Coastal, ,,,,,,,,Tris for Trans Ocean.

Of course almost all was sail then,

but the ability to be upside down on a Cat after a heavy sea still holds.

Fuel for range is heavy , multihulls are dangerous if heavy ,so wind power is a better choice than a ton of fuel.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:02 AM   #28
Guru

City: St Augustine, FL
Vessel Name: RunningTide
Vessel Model: 37 Louisiane catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by chester613 View Post
Now that's it's winter in most parts of the country, I spend my time dreaming of what boat I want next. I started looking at Nordic Tugs, American Tugs, Monks, all very nice boats. I also saw a power cat. WOW! They are like a living room on the water. I have been on a sailing cat, a 46 foot. We had 8 people and never ran out of room. Anyone have experience on a power cat? Is the fuel economy good? How about ocean travel? How about docking? It's winter, may as well dream!
You might have a look through this other discussion of Powercats as well
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...ers-11299.html

Brian
brian eiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:56 AM   #29

City: las vegas
I agree with Marcoh, you should read the Domino Blog. Very interesting.

[QUOTE=marcoh;299111]Here are some link to a couple of nice powercats I wish I could afford. Both are designed to be ocean going passagemakers with long range.

Pathfinder Power Cats | Leading By Design
http://pathfinderpowercats.com/wp-co...d-1F9A6322.jpg

Domino 20 - the ultimate passage-maker
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-7KR-pAjd8z...rotector31.jpg

These people have travelled halfway around the world in their Malcolm Tennant designed Domino 20 from Paraguay to the U.S. And are now in New Caladonia DOMINO 20

The Pathfinder has fantastic engine access!
http://pathfinderpowercats.com/wp-co...9/1F9A4114.jpg

And here is a good youtube clip of another Malcolm Tennant cat [/QUOTE
FrmrCoastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 10:47 AM   #30
Guru

Horizon PC 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
A lot of Cats have been mentioned above and their strong points covered well. I wanted to mention one other I didn't see mentioned. Horizon Yachts has two power cats, a PC 52 and a PC 60. I've not been aboard either but a friend has and loved them. I know out of the size range the OP is probably looking but just wanted to mention it as it's a traditional power motoryacht builder offering one.
I just ran across this extensive (and glowing) review of the Horizon PC58:
Review: Horizon Yacht's PC-58 Catamaran - Horizon Yacht | YachtForums: We Know Big Boats!
Old 12-23-2016, 11:20 AM   #31
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
A glowing review? Have you ever seen a less than glowing review there?

At least it doesn't have the annoying emblem splashed in the corner of every picture.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 11:27 AM   #32

City: Oakland
Vessel Name: Arcangel
Vessel Model: Buewater 40
..Normally piercing waves catamaran cross pacific from Australia and New Zealand under their own bottom to the new owners on Europe or America... Cat's can and do ocean crossing without too much problem.
If you can afford, a wave piercing cats can "go anywhere", just need to be able to afford gas ticket (mostly come with turbine type propulsion). if you can afford, my second choose will be the impressive sunreef power cat.. a real mansion afloat..
Cat world is wide, different, generally expensive and have something for everybody... Good hunt!
garrobito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 12:38 PM   #33
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
As a monohull sailor, I have always distrusted cats as something slightly perverse. I am sure I could probable get over it.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 12:52 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmrCoastie View Post

Domino 20 - the ultimate passage-maker
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-7KR-pAjd8z...rotector31.jpg

These people have travelled halfway around the world in their Malcolm Tennant designed Domino 20 from Paraguay to the U.S. And are now in New Caladonia DOMINO 20
I had suggested at one time the thought of making a motorsailor version of the Domino 20 design. There was some slight interest by the owners. (utilizes my all 3-furling-sails rig)

Old 12-23-2016, 01:50 PM   #35
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian eiland View Post
I had suggested at one time the thought of making a motorsailor version of the Domino 20 design. There was some slight interest by the owners. (utilizes my all 3-furling-sails rig)

Nice Brian!
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 02:16 PM   #36
Guru

City: Jacksonville Beach, FL
It appears that Domino is for sale, for USD $1.075M:

2009 Tennant Domino 20 - Domino - Multihull Solutions

She certainly is a dreamy big cruising cat.
Old 12-23-2016, 10:06 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian eiland View Post

Brian does the aft placement of the mast encourage hobby horsing or does the forward tilt cause sufficient weight distribution fore and aft. Brian and I go back maybe 20 years when Brian built a super preforming 20 Knot tri for me. I am happy to see he is still innovating and messing with boats.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 09:03 AM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
Brian does the aft placement of the mast encourage hobby horsing or does the forward tilt cause sufficient weight distribution fore and aft.
First off let me apologize for that lousy rendition of aft-mast Domino. It was done very hurried a few years back by partial eraser and overlaying of two dwgs (by a not so savvy computer guy...me) , and never reworked.

Actually I think the combo of the aft placement of the mast, and the relatively shorter mast of that rig should not promote very much of a hobby-horse effect. The Tennant hull design (significant fore-to-aft asymmetry) of that vessel should also dampen any hobby horsing.

I had met the owners of that boat on their way thru Annapolis a number of years ago,...and on a damp and rainy day. So I never really got a thorough look thru their boat. I keep following their trek around the world, and always marveled at the owners own capabilities to keep things fixed (plus he built the boat in a somewhat remote location). I think it was on one of his extended Pacific trips, that they made an inquiry as to the feasibility of installing a sailing rig to make it a 'motorsailer'.

I think it would have made a very nice motorsailer
Old 12-24-2016, 09:12 AM   #39
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Power cats

A catamaran motorsailer has always interested me. The things that have turned me off from a standard cat sailboat are poor engine room access, unprotected saildrives, and price. Does/has anyone build a cat with protected shaft drives with a real prop, and decent size engine compartment where I could sit on a bucket on either side of the engine and work, and then a small sail plan for assist?
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 09:24 AM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
A catamaran motorsailer has always interested me. The things that have turned me off from a standard cat sailboat are poor engine room access, unprotected saildrives, and price. Does/has anyone build a cat with protected shaft drives with a real prop, and decent size engine compartment where I could sit on a bucket on either side of the engine and work, and then a small sail plan for assist?
I don't know of too many builders taking the concept of motorsailers to heart these days,....but future fuel prices could change that. And there are not so many buyers out there that have the desire or time to fully utilize the long range capabilities of motorsailers.

The long thin hulls of a catamaran don't exactly give you room to locate the engines deeply down in hulls and still give room for work-around. But mount the engines up higher and provide for a parallel shaft down below. and you might gain that room you are searching for.
Tennant Hull V ChainDrive

By small rig I assume you want something easy to handle? All 3 sails on my rig simply roll up and roll out. And the 'spread of sail area' allows you to adjust the total sail area deployed, as well as balance it out for directional control.