• Trawler Forum Classified Posting Guidelines
    • We expect ads placed to be related to the topic of this forum.
    • Ads that are inactive for 180 days or longer may be moved to the Classified Archive and locked. Ads may be relisted if the item is still current. Alternatively, owners may contact a Moderator to reinstate an archived ad.
    • The Classified section is for advertising, members are asked to refrain from posting discussions to a Classified Ad. Please start a discussion thread or PM the owner for discussions.
    • Do not hijack another member's ad by posting unsolicited commentary. Example: if a member has posted an ad offering an anchor for sale, don't add a post to his thread stating that you have an anchor you'd like to get rid of also. Posts deemed as unsolicited commentary may be removed.
    • For your own security, do NOT include your e-mail or phone number in your ad. Instead request that interested parties contact you via PM (private message) to provide owners contact info.
    • Brokers, Dealers, or those with a commercial interest in a sale are prohibited from posting in Classifieds.
    • Only Trawler Forum Commercial Members may post ads in the Commercial section. You must be a designated Commercial Member to start threads in this section of the forum. (Contact a moderator if you have questions about this)
    • Don't post links to commercial sites where you are also offering the boat, such as eBay, Craigslist or Yachtworld, etc. unless it contains a more in-depth description, additional information or pictures.
    • Place only one ad per item (you may repost only when your ad has expired and been removed).
    For Sale ads MUST include:
    • Asking price
    • Clear statement whether you are the owner or non-owner (posting for friend, relative, or acquaintance)
    • Don't forget to select: FOR SALE, WANTED or FREE in the Title block.
    All ads should also include ALL the following:
    • Pertinent maintenance and condition information
    • Exterior picture or pictures
    • Interior picture or pictures (boats)
    For maximum impact & exposure, it is suggested the Ad Title include: Year, Manufacturer, Model, Length, Price, and Location or at the very top of the ad body. When your item has sold or the ad is no longer relevant: Please post a Reply to the ad that the item is SOLD or click "Report Post" on post 1 of the thread to ask a moderator to archive the ad. Ads may be moved or removed by our staff at any time for any reason. All ads must comply with site rules. Thanks for your cooperation.
  • Avoid Scams.

Our classifieds are free and anyone registered here is welcome to post an ad.
    Be aware that there are unscrupulous folks out there. Avoid any interaction that seems odd to you or �feels� wrong. Inquiries from unknown buyers, buyers �agents� and other non-traditional approaches should be treated with extreme caution.

Beware of unsolicited contacts offering to put you in touch with someone else who is buying or selling via e-mail or text.

Do not post your e-mail address or phone number in a classifieds ad.

Hints that you may be dealing with a Scammer:
    • Seller or Buyer approaches you via a direct email or PM and then steers you to an off-site communication method (text or email).
    • No posts or very few forum posts.
    • Recent forum membership
    • Insists on conducting negotiations via email or text rather than PM
    • Requires payment via Bank Transfer, BitCoin/CryptoCurrency, WesternUnion or other unsecured method.
    • Buyer or Seller suggests Paypal "Friends and Family" payment. Paypal is a good way to arrange payment but an invoice for goods and services should be used rather than "Friends and Family". "Friends and Family" avoids fees BUT there is no recourse if the transaction runs aground. Friends and Family is for gifts only. There is no protection for Friends and Family transactions, so never ever use it to buy something.
    • Declines to allow viewing the item before proceeding with the transaction.

For Sale: What's this Boat Worth??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Caribe

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Calypso
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 40'
VIDEO: https://youtu.be/laMHMg6QBqs

1977 Marine Trader DC. Completely restored and lovingly maintained...no time...so we gotta sell her. >(

...Not sure what she's worth. What do you think???

Located in North Palm Beach, Florida. Have a survey report if you like to see it let me know. Come and see her and I'll buy you lunch.

Last edited:
A broker once told me regarding a boat I was interested in: It may be over priced at $15K or under priced at $95K. Not trying to be funny, but it is worth whatever someone is willing to pay. If well equipped, structurally and mechanically sound, and passes a full survey, I'm thinking 69K. Beautiful boat though.

Calypso Survey

Hi Here's the Survey Report -Attached. We've done a lot to her since this survey was done but the equipment is the same or upgraded so this will give you a comprehensive overview.

Attachments

• Calypso Survey .pdf
    209.2 KB · Views: 200
Video looks very nice. The attached survey seems to be a listing ‘as equipped’ but doesn’t note condition, deficiencies or recommendations. A survey often includes a fair market value as well as a replacement value. That data should give you a good idea of what it’s worth along with some research on the major boat listing sites to account for demand, location differences and competing inventory.

My survey said my purchase boat was great and replacement worth a fortune.

It however was close to the asking price, go figure as asking and selling price are rarely the same.

Fortunately I knew better so I take many surveys with a grain..... there are good ones, But rare in my experience.

Only very direct comparisons of similar vessels currently being sold is a decent yardstick.

Following is generalization... but, not too far off the mark!

A boat's dollar value to the owner and purchaser comes from two completely separate directions. One wants to receive much as possible and one wants to give little as possible

That's the first item...

Then's there actual condition of boat as well as how advanced accessories on the boat are. Herein lies the rub. Owner may feel boat is in better condition than it really is with accessories better than they are. Purchaser might feel boat is [or may be] in worse condition than it truly is and that accessories don't match expectations.

And... when you add into the mix potential hiding of faults by the seller and maybe overly stringent horse trading by the purchaser...

Well - You Get The Picture!

Boat buyen n' sellen ain't for the faint of heart. :socool:

My recommendation for seller is be truthful to yourself and to others. If you are a buyer... be ready to walk away at any time things just ain't right enough to continue.

As the owner of a well maintained constantly worked on MT, my opinion is that it’s worth less than you hope, as so many of these TT’s are in such horrible condition that many buyers don’t give them a second look.

My MT is priceless!

Seriously though, contact a broker for an opinion.

Can't really tell what the interior or ER area looks like, but on the exterior she is a beautiful boat! :)

Going quickly through the survey, a couple of questions pop up:

1) The survey lists a teak aft deck and walkways, but no teak is apparent in the video. Was the teak removed or glassed over?

2) The survey lists the boat as having the original engines with only 676 hours. Is this correct as its not much running time for a 40 year-old boat.

Jim

Can't really tell what the interior or ER area looks like, but on the exterior she is a beautiful boat! :)

Going quickly through the survey, a couple of questions pop up:

1) The survey lists a teak aft deck and walkways, but no teak is apparent in the video. Was the teak removed or glassed over?

2) The survey lists the boat as having the original engines with only 676 hours. Is this correct as its not much running time for a 40 year-old boat.

Jim

Survey should have a date. Is it quite old?

Survey is quite old. It was completed in May 2012. But all the equipment is the same or has been upgraded. Since then we have painted the decks, all structures and hull. 4 coats awlgrip in 2012. Bottom, all structures and hull were re-painted with awlgrip primer and 2 top coats in November 2017. All systems are well maintained in working order.

I'll post more pictures this weekend. I have not advertised anywhere.

I appreciate the advice on fair pricing! She's worth far more than the sum of her parts...

She may be worth more than the sum of her parts to you, but most buyers will want to pay dimes on the dollar for any upgrades or improvements.

If I gave you my opinion of what I thought the boat was worth, you would be insulted so I won't do that. Also, the youTube video went very fast and little could be made out in detail.

On the positive side, the Awlgrip paint job looks great on fast video. I also didn't observe teak decks so assume they were replaced. Almost beyond belief, the "survey" indicated the wiring is good.

On the negative side, it needs at least $25K of electronics. Forty year old black iron fuel tanks will scare off most would be buyers. There is no dinghy/outboard. I was wondering if the Onan genny still works and whether that model is still supported. As with the engines, the low genny hours are suspect. The so called survey doesn't really speak to the condition of much of the boat or equipment.

Maybe you should consult with a surveyor or a broker to have them look at it and tell you what they think.

She's worth far more than the sum of her parts...

No educated buyer will ever say that.

Why not just tell us what you think you want to ask for it, post good pictures, and give us a clear write-up on her systems and condition? It would make everyone's life easier and stop everyone from guessing based on your high opinion of your own boat :flowers:

.... She's worth far more than the sum of her parts...

This is where the disconnect occurs. It's not. If you were to buy each part individually it would be exponentially more expensive than buying the boat as a whole, literally.

What you're confusing is the value of the sum of your memories, not the boat. I know you wouldn't sell your memories, but honestly, nobody wants to pay for them either.

Seems the OP seeks "expressions of interest",or offers, thereby avoiding "the price issue",which rightly or wrongly suggests it`s "high". Better to put a price on it,whatever it is.

Okay, I'll take a second bit of the apple. :ermm:

What does "completely restored" mean? I suspect that for you and I it has different meanings.

I'm 12 - 18 months away from buying my next boat, but if it's an older trawler, my big ticket items would be teak deck condition (if applicable), engine(s) condition, and fuel tanks condition.

Why was the teak painted? Teak decking is normally reconditioned or removed.

What are the engine hours? As my previous post notes, the survey says 697 total hours on a 40 year-old boat?

Are the steel fuel tanks the original tanks?

For me, issues with any of the above would impact on the value of a boat.

Jim

I'd throw out a guess of 55k-60k.

Trawler enthusiasts are going to be "pickier" than a typical "walk up buyer" or first time buyer. Buyers here know what lurks beneath beauty which could very well be more beauty but just saying.

You could list higher because it's in amazing shape but its just a guess.

Also this is very dependent on locale. North Florida market is different than South FL.

Hope it doesn't offend because I can tell she's well loved.

...buyers will want to pay dimes on the dollar for any upgrades or improvements.
Therein lies one of the big rubs. What you consider an improvement that greatly increases the value of the boat, potential buyers may consider a drawback that they will have to undo.

Any time you modify a boat from its original configuration, no matter how small the modification, there are bound to be some people who will not like it that way -- they would prefer the original setup. So that "thing," whatever it may be, that you consider a HUGE improvement, that you think greatly increases the boat's value, may well actually REDUCE the value in the eyes of the majority of buyers.

This, I think, is one of the big contributing factors to so many of the boats that you see sitting on the market for years and years, and never selling. The owner has over-priced the boat because he believes that he has made it so much better than all of the other, similar, boats out there. While potential buyers just see a bunch of modifications that they don't really want, and certainly aren't going to pay for.

That said, there are some modifications that I think are almost universally appealing. Removing teak decks would be one of those. Replacing or rebuilding engines would be another (though only if the replacements are sized very similarly to the originals). Modernizing counter tops and galley equipment (as long as you don't get too outré).

Good luck.

Therein lies one of the big rubs. What you consider an improvement that greatly increases the value of the boat, potential buyers may consider a drawback that they will have to undo.

Any time you modify a boat from its original configuration, no matter how small the modification, there are bound to be some people who will not like it that way -- they would prefer the original setup. So that "thing," whatever it may be, that you consider a HUGE improvement, that you think greatly increases the boat's value, may well actually REDUCE the value in the eyes of the majority of buyers.

This, I think, is one of the big contributing factors to so many of the boats that you see sitting on the market for years and years, and never selling. The owner has over-priced the boat because he believes that he has made it so much better than all of the other, similar, boats out there. While potential buyers just see a bunch of modifications that they don't really want, and certainly aren't going to pay for.

That said, there are some modifications that I think are almost universally appealing. Removing teak decks would be one of those. Replacing or rebuilding engines would be another (though only if the replacements are sized very similarly to the originals). Modernizing counter tops and galley equipment (as long as you don't get too outré).

Good luck.

I much agree with about keeping a boat as original as possible... for many reasons.

There are some up ticks that might invite the interest of potential buyers.

- New or rebuilt engines are of course an important one
- New tanks of several sorts
- New/rebuilt trany and/or new shafts and props
- Recent haul with new through hulls and fresh bottom coating
- Shined above water portions catch the eye
- New canvas and drapes always nice
- Bright work or paint recently refinished or shined
- Shiny railings catch person's eyes too
- Well outfitted galley attracts the chef
- Clean, sweet smelling, well functioning heads with showers are a must

That said - What you do that could create sales-inviting improvements [many could be VERY expensive - to you] may get your boat sold more quickly with a somewhat of a boost in price compared to if the boat was let fall into general disrepair. However... IMO, you will be lucky to get any meaningful price increase compared to other similar lower priced boats on the market. Shoppers do comparatively price available boats.

So... I again say... "I much agree with about keeping a boat as original as possible... for many reasons." And, one important reason is to not loose money thinking that the next purchaser is going to be willing to pay much at all for your previous expensive improvements. Spend wisely on your boat... it represents a depreciating-value as it ages - pretty much no matter what you do!

:speed boat:

I'd throw out a guess of 55k-60k.

For a 1977 boat? I don't think so. Wouldn't pay a nickel over 30.
The boat may be pristine but it's still a 1977. And from the size of the fridge it was setup as a dock queen. Gen would have to run full time.

I don't think a glamour video without pics is going to attract any interest. Post about 30 or 40 detailed interior pics and you might get a better idea of what people think. You can then develop a marketing strategy.

If you want a quick sale, keep price on low end. If you want maximum value, then price it accurately. It's a buyers market and there are only a few buyers who will be interested in your boat. You only get one crack at them. If you overprice it you may be paying marina fees for a long time.

For a 1977 boat? I don't think so. Wouldn't pay a nickel over 30.
The boat may be pristine but it's still a 1977. And from the size of the fridge it was setup as a dock queen. Gen would have to run full time.

I don't think a glamour video without pics is going to attract any interest. Post about 30 or 40 detailed interior pics and you might get a better idea of what people think. You can then develop a marketing strategy.

If you want a quick sale, keep price on low end. If you want maximum value, then price it accurately. It's a buyers market and there are only a few buyers who will be interested in your boat. You only get one crack at them. If you overprice it you may be paying marina fees for a long time.

Well lucky for the OP they don't have to sell it to you.

That boat is worth more than 30k.

I the OP comes back this weekend to post pictures like promised, I'd be surprised! I'm pretty sure y'all have scared him (her) away!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom