Old 12-04-2019, 07:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Southwest Florida
Vessel Model: Albin 36 single diesel
Sold-Bristol 42 Trawler for sale?

Considering this boat -- can anyone provide insight on this 1969 Bristol 42 trawler and more importantly the John Deere 6068D engine? The engine is naturally aspirated and has 1,440 hours. Just wondering if this seems a good deal and anyone's experience with Bristol trawlers. I believe they are American made and a solid boat. Looking ahead to Bahamas runs as well as an ICW up/down the Atlantic and possibly Gulf of Mexico Coasts, possible live aboard. https://spacecoast.craigslist.org/bo...012571650.html

Old 12-04-2019, 08:00 PM   #2
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Looks very nice. Anything that Bristol built was 1st class. John Deere and Northern Lights are also top of the line. Get a good survey and expect to put dollars in to make it your own.

Old 12-04-2019, 08:06 PM   #3
Guru

City: Canaveral
I can help you out here.

I viewed that boat the other weekend. It's a 50 year old boat. My takeaway was that the engine seemed fair. However it needs new water tanks (currently leaking) and likely fuel tanks. New windlass system needed. Complete renovation inside, heads, rip out the old-fashioned twins in the master stateroom (what is this... I Love Lucy???) and install a queen single. Etc. Rub rails outside were rotted wood. Deck fiberglass needs to be shaved off and redone. I have no idea however of the running gear condition or bottom condition (blisters). Don't know the condition of the genset, but the owner states it runs but is too noisy to sleep with, for airconditioning. The engine room does not have any modern acoustic insulation, so you'll need to do that.

Very much a project boat. Even if you do all the work yourself you'd still be in another $50k on top of the purchase price.

Or you can just buy it cheap as it is, put zero dollars into it, and just use it for a couple of years as a fun big pile of junk like the current own has been.

Don't mean to bust your dreams, but just offering you a reality check.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:18 PM   #4
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Ok...Lots of Dollars.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:56 PM   #5

City: Marinette, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
I would have a hard time plunking down $35,000 for a 50 year old boat. What I have found from owning older boats is that there has been so many owner modifications and repairs that just tracing a wire for a bilge pump will probably reveal any number of splices and risky modifications.

But the big concerns would be rotten wood and fiberglass and of course leaky, or due to leak tanks. Big expense ! A survey will catch a lot of stuff and you may be able to use it for bargaining but doubt if it will finance.

You will need a full complement of electronics. "Bottom Finder"?, haven't heard that term since there were flashing depth sounders.

Guess I would probably walk..

pete
Old 12-06-2019, 03:01 PM   #6

City: Anacortes, Washington
Vessel Name: Aquarius
Vessel Model: Selene 42
I have a Selene 42 Trawler with the JD 6068 and it is the best engine you can get. Very easy to maintain and always dependable. Also, sips fuel. I only 2.8-3.2 gallons per hour depending on current. It is a 7 knot boat at 1500rpms...running up to 1800 rpms does not get you much faster, maybe 8 knots but you will burn more fuel.
Old 12-16-2019, 04:17 PM   #7
Veteran Member

City: Southwest Florida
Vessel Model: Albin 36 single diesel
This boat has sold and this thread should be transferred to the Classifieds Archive. Thanks, Mark